Temporary Sergeant Position | MassCops

Temporary Sergeant Position

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by SgtTopper, Jan 7, 2020.

1. SgtTopper

SgtTopper New Member

When there is a posted Temporary Permanent Sergeant Position, can the appointing authority pick anyone from the three candidates, or because it is temporary permanent position, does the authority have to pick the top candidate? Is there any cases on this?

2. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Are we talking civil service ?

3. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Is that the wording on the posting, temporary permanent? I'll put my union hat on and open it up to interpretation what has been the practice in your department in the past if any

4. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I know of one civil service department near me that appointed someone as a temporary sergeant for the last year and now he will be made permanent sergeant somehow. Don’t know how they did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 likes this.
  5. SgtTopper

SgtTopper New Member

Im not sure what they have done in the past. But is there a general rule that they can pick anyone of the three of because of a temp they have to pick #1

6. SgtTopper

SgtTopper New Member

yes of course

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

A temporary sergeant position still has to follow the normal process of using the active list of promotional candidates. If they don't pick the candidate with the highest score, they have to justify why. If there isn't at least 3 candidates on the list, they can make a provisional appointment and pick who they want until the next list is certified.

kdk240 likes this.
  8. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

I think they have to follow cs, if they want the list to be good down the road. Idk as I'm non cs. And we do our own screwy crap.! For instance admin can and does make any specialty position ect as an example an appointment not to exceed a certain. Of time with whoever they want.

9. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

OKAY,
    My head is really spinning now. I believe the only established facts are:
    1. there ARE indeed three (3) candidates 2. It's a civil circus position.
    Everyone keep it going...............................
    :eek:

10. Bloodhound

What was I unclear about?

mpd61 likes this.
  11. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Ahh.....
    Not you, just trying to keep it simple. In civil Service even, there are no certainties. That's why there are so many appeals and challenges.

Bloodhound likes this.
  12. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Depends. Is one of them an SSPO?

:D

mpd61 likes this.
  13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

As a Temp Sgt., do NOT believe for ONE FRACTION OF A SECOND that you will make a difference and do not throw any weight around because once that temporary position is gone, you will PAY for your sins.

Even if you are allowed back into the union.

Goose, mpd61 and CCCSD like this.
  14. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

If you are true temporary anything, your job is to keep the lights on until a permanent is appointed. I know of a very recent chief appointment where the deputy became acting for a month before the replacement was announced. It was assumed the deputy would eventually be the guy. He went on mission to settle a few scores for the month he was acting chief. He didn't become chief and the period he was acting is cited as the reason why.

We did have a guy at my last PD who was temporarily assigned to the detective bureau for 15 years.

Goose and mpd61 like this.
  15. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Sorry but WTF is a temporary permanent Sgt? That makes no fucking sense. You will be temporary forever?

16. Bloodhound

17. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

No thanks, lol

18. Macop2020

Macop2020 MassCops Member

We have done it

19. Macop2020

Macop2020 MassCops Member

We had a handful of temp Sgts, some of them never took a CS exam, the one that did got the job when the list was certified because his ranking just worked out and he was made. It went by seniority.