Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A New Hampshire county treasurer who lost her bid for a fourth term last week to a 20-year-old Dartmouth College student from Montana blames her failed candidacy on "brainwashed college kids." Republican Carol Elliott said students just voted for the Democratic ticket, which included Dartmouth junior Vanessa Sievers. Sievers won by nearly 600 votes out of 42,000 cast after targeting voters at Dartmouth and Plymouth State University through a $42 ad on the Web site Facebook.
"It was the brainwashed college kids that made the difference," Elliott, 66, told the Valley News of Lebanon. She said she had little faith that Sievers will fulfill her duties adequately.
"You've got a teenybopper for a treasurer," said Elliott, who has held the position for six years. "I'm concerned for the citizens of Grafton County."
The part-time job pays $6,408. It involves keeping tabs on all county money, making investments and making payments ordered by county commissioners.
Sievers said Wednesday she was surprised by Elliott's "brutal attack."
"She's never met me before," Sievers said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "She has no idea what I'm like."
Sievers, a geography and history major from Big Sky, Mont., said she has been active in politics for many years and has worked on numerous New Hampshire campaigns, ranging from the mayoral race in Lebanon to Bill Richardson's presidential campaign.
"I've always believed that being involved in local government is part of your responsibility as a citizen and is a way to get involved in your community," she said.
Sievers said her age has nothing to do with her qualifications, noting that she has worked as a bookkeeper, managed her family's finances and has been thoroughly researching investment options to prepare for her new job. She also took issue with Elliott's claim that college students were brainwashed.
"I don't know why people think college students are less informed than other members of the community. A lot of students get very, very involved in their communities, are extraordinarily involved in politics in the area, in doing community service, everything," she said. "I think college students are connected, and sometimes know more than the 'real' citizens. ... I think we're just as real citizens as anyone else in the county."
This was not the only seat Republicans lost to Democrats in the former red state.

Presently the state house operates under a democratic governor and both house and senate are controlled by the democrats. Several counties are now firmly in democratic control and some places are no longer able to find Republicans to run for office.

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
A New Hampshire county treasurer who lost her bid for a fourth term last week to a 20-year-old Dartmouth College student from Montana blames her failed candidacy on "brainwashed college kids." Republican Carol Elliott said students just voted for the Democratic ticket, which included Dartmouth junior Vanessa Sievers. Sievers won by nearly 600 votes out of 42,000 cast after targeting voters at Dartmouth and Plymouth State University through a $42 ad on the Web site Facebook.
"It was the brainwashed college kids that made the difference," Elliott, 66, told the Valley News of Lebanon. She said she had little faith that Sievers will fulfill her duties adequately.
"Brainwashed" college kids helped elect Nobama too....maybe McCain should take the lead from Elliot LOL

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Top - this election was bought and paid for on so many fronts it's laughable.

• College kids who finally had a candidate they could (however misguided) rally for.
  • Corrupt polling stations.
  • The ABC, CBS, NBC, NYT's, Boston Globe, et al pre-ordination of the fraud.
  • The entirety of the democrat vote and better than half of all independents.
  • The entirety of the black vote and much better than half of all Latinos.
  • And the moderates who went for Nobama by 60%. (Yeah, he's a moderate alright.)

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
She won by 600 votes out of 42000 cast. I doubt the 21,000+ voters that did vote for her were all "brainwashed" college kids....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Sievers can do a better job than Elliott. It's pretty clear that the 20 year old is more mature than her too. Calling her a 'teeny bopper' because of her age is extremely sophmoric and to call the voters "brain washed college kids" is pretty unprofessional.

It sounds like the voters actually got one right for once...

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Calling her a 'teeny bopper' because of her age is extremely sophmoric and to call the voters "brain washed college kids" is pretty unprofessional.
So I guess calling you a fucking jerkoff would be unprofessional then also...

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,767 Posts
So I guess calling you a fucking jerkoff would be unprofessional then also...
No, but it is relatively snide, immature, and subjective on your part
:p

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Sievers can do a better job than Elliott. It's pretty clear that the 20 year old is more mature than her too. Calling her a 'teeny bopper' because of her age is extremely sophmoric and to call the voters "brain washed college kids" is pretty unprofessional.
When I was 20 years old, I had been serving in the military for three years, and I didn't even have my first credit card. A 20-year old cannot legally drink or own a handgun, but you think its okay to put someone like this in charge of the finances of an entire county? Upon who's people's pensions and salaries depend on? Her previous experience is manging her "family's finances" and working as bookkeeper? Those "qualifications" wouldn't get you a job as a loan officer at a bank.

My job-related interactions with college students at age 20 is that they're generally arrogant beyond all measure of their actual ability and obsessed with getting drunk, high and laid. They also have a tendency for malicious destruction, arson and general thuggish behavior. Just the kind of person we want in charge of county finances.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,767 Posts
My job-related interactions with college students at age 20 is that they're generally arrogant beyond all measure of their actual ability and obsessed with getting drunk, high and laid. They also have a tendency for malicious destruction, arson and general thuggish behavior. Just the kind of person we want in charge of county finances.
True that, the larger majority are actually self-convinced that as "adult learners" attending "higher education" institutions, they are entitled to verbalize their spoon-fed-learned-in-lecture-narrowly-focused crap in an attempt to impress us with their "critical thought" process about what a Nazi I am for making them late for class (which they're already late for)by stopping them speeding through an occupied crosswalk.

Then again as an Earth & Geographical Science major From U/Mass Boston (2005) and Police officer... WTF do I know about 20 year old college students anyway? Just ask my 25 year-old daughter and 24 year old son (College educated)
:cool:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
When I was 20 years old, I had been serving in the military for three years, and I didn't even have my first credit card. A 20-year old cannot legally drink or own a handgun, but you think its okay to put someone like this in charge of the finances of an entire county? Upon who's people's pensions and salaries depend on? Her previous experience is manging her "family's finances" and working as bookkeeper? Those "qualifications" wouldn't get you a job as a loan officer at a bank.

I agree, but apparently at least half of the voters thought otherwise. Either she is pretty mature and smart enough for the job to convince 20,000+ to vote for her, or the old lady that got ousted REALLY sucks at it herself.

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
I agree, but apparently at least half of the voters thought otherwise. Either she is pretty mature and smart enough for the job to convince 20,000+ to vote for her, or the old lady that got ousted REALLY sucks at it herself.
Generally speaking in Nh it breaks into thirds for Rep/Demo/Independents and the votes tend to be within 5-6%. The problem is that around the schools such as Dartmouth, UNH,Keene etc you might have 10000 students from out of state or even the country and after being brainwashed by the faculty they vote liberal and skew the vote.In this years case just voting in anyone with a D next to their name.I wonder how many also voted absentee from their actual home precint? You should not be able to vote in a state that your only going to school in because you are not there after a couple four years to endure the aftermath.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts