Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see under the Leaps "news" file about the tazers. I guess a couple of the PD's are up in arms because Flynn is trying to say that you have to submit a training plan , insurance etc.. to him before any pd can use them...

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
I'll say it again, these things will be more trouble than they're worth. I lOVE how Flynn now keeps trying to become the State Public Safety "CZAR" and interject his will everywhere.
:shock:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Secretary of Public Safety position needs to be filled by a career civil servant or the like. Nothing will wreak more havoc than a man in that position with ambition, whether political or otherwise. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I carry one and love it. It is much more useful than pepper spray and normally just displaying one causes the subject to comply.

·
Subscribing Member
3,431 Posts
I'm stumped as to why Tasers are such a big deal in Massachusetts. We in Los Angeles have been using Tasers since at least the early 80's. I've been here since 1988 and we've never had a problem with them. In fact, the LAPD is a big advocate of them.

I can't remember the last time we had a death related to the use of a Taser. Most patrol units out here carry them. That, along with a bean bag shotgun. These less lethal tools are a big help and certainly lessen the chance of having to actually shoot someone with a "real" gun. I don't understand why it's so difficult to get them for you guys.

If the "powers that be," including some of your chiefs, have concerns, feel free to have them take a look at us out here. We've already got lesson plans and policies in place for their use. Good luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One Metro-west PD yesterday was told to take them off their belts (they only had two issued and both guys had been to school) by Flynn, they are pissed and the Chief is backing his guys .......

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
We used tasers in Florida. A great tool! Beats a torn and tattered uniform and pavement rash on your arms and legs. Most chowderheads comply just having the taser in your hand!

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Our chief was all set to purchase two of them out of this years budget and wanted to get a few more next year, He sent a sergeant to the instructor school. Now it seems that our town manager has put a stop to this. :twisted: All the bad press that they have been getting is the cause. Oh well I guess I will have to stick with the tools I have, It will be a shame if someone gets shot and killed that could have been hit with a tazer. :roll:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have to agree with the other officers who carry a taser, they are a good "tool". Just like any other LE tool, they have their pluses and minuses. I am have deployed mine numerous times and they all had the desired effects, I was not hurt and the suspects complied.

Can someone tell me why, this bonehead Flynn, wants to ruin L.E. in Mass. Is he trying to make all your jobs harder than they already are. What the underlining story? Did he test back in the day and was turned down for failing the Psychological test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.