Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TAUNTON -- Mayor Ted Strojny’s administration issued its first 50 layoff notices to city firefighters yesterday and increased the number of projected police layoffs to 57 -- exactly half the city’s police force.
Police and firefighters were gathered at the Central Fire Station on School Street around 2:30 p.m. for a press conference when City Solicitor Steven Torres arrived with a box of envelopes containing 50 notices.

Due to a sudden medical emergency, Fire Chief Thomas Downey Jr. was unable to go to work yesterday. Torres instead gave the box of notices to Deputy Fire Chief Leman Padelford, on whom the duty of delivering the bad news fell.

Downey went into emergency surgery at Morton Hospital and Medical Center during the night Thursday for an appendectomy. He telephoned the Gazette yesterday afternoon from the hospital to explain his absence.

Firefighters Union President Lee Beauvais said that if the City Council does not do something to prevent the layoffs, every firefighter that joined the force since 1991 will be laid off.

Torres said that he decided to deliver the layoff notices personally, because he had worked so closely with the union members during contract negotiations. He added that he wanted to deliver each notice individually but that there were too many.

Patrolman John Munise III, president of the police patrolmen’s union, arrived at Central Fire Station shortly before Torres for the press conference and announced that City Hall had increased the number of projected police layoffs from 47 to 57. That’s exactly half of the department’s 114 members, not including Police Chief Raymond O’Berg.

Munise has been warning city politicians for months that layoffs would be inevitable without more revenues coming into city coffers.

The city leaders have now let the problem linger so long that the City Council has only two immediate options to spare the devastating cuts to the police and fire departments, Munise said.

With only a month left until the start of the new fiscal year, the City Council does not have time to raise revenue to cover the projected $6.5 million deficit. He said the council could either borrow the money through bonding or a loan, and then repay that money through Mayor Ted Strojny’s revenue raising proposals.

"Since the council seems to want to obstruct the sale of (city-owned) land, can we borrow that same $6.5 million using the land as collateral?" Munise asked.

The City Council is expected to review a finalized version of Mayor Ted Strojny’s proposed budget at Tuesday night’s meeting and possibly take action to prevent the layoffs.

"Tuesday night is the last night they have to act on it or there will be layoffs. If they don’t do this by Tuesday, there will literally be hell to pay," Munise said.

Police said the layoffs would leave only four cars per shift available to patrol the city’s 600 miles of roads which cover 50 square miles, creating an "open season" for crime in the city.

Firefighters said they would have to close three of the city’s five fire stations if the layoffs are not recalled and leave only three operational fire trucks to protect the city.
:no:

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
So for those keeping score, now with TPD's lay offs, that puts the state wide reemployment list at around 130. Looking out of state for a new job seems to become more attractive every day.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This #-o, but not surprised; sucks though. You ever have to wonder why the big wigs in Mass Legislature don't take a cut out of their $100+ Grand do nothing jobs. I tell ya, if they vote themselves another pay increase; hell will break loose :twisted: .

·
Registered
13 Posts
We are a small department of 14 - and I just got my layoff notice - We have an over ride vote 6/16/03 - Maybe things will change. You are right - out of state is looking good about now!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks - Ill be ok - I had a feeling this was coming - and saved this spring... I have till July 1st - and if anyone retires I will most likely be reinstated. What scares me is no matter what happens with the over ride.... they are talking about needing more money in September. But I will make it...The layoff list is long-but they will have to call us back sometime - I feel bad for #57 in Taunton - he/she has a long way to go......

·
Registered
252 Posts
Let me just add a little fuel to the fire. My Dad has worked for TPD for 26 years he says this is the worst it has ever been. There is just no money for the cops. Details are few and far between and forget about overtime. This mayor is cutting the departments we need the most. The fire and the police all get huge budget cuts and the school system takes no cuts. And another thing all these cuts the mayor is making and he goes and hires a buget advisor, former superintendant of schools Gerald Crouto at 75.00 an hour to give the mayor advise on how to spend money. Well Mr. Strojny how does feel to know that you are responsable for causing the city of Taunton to go to hell in a handbag. fortunatly his term is up this year and if you can believe it he is trying for reelection. HA you got a better chance of seeing God before you get reelected. Anyway my good thoughts go out to the TPD officers who are getting layed off I hope everything works out. As for Strojny a big FU goes out to you! Next time maybe you should get advise from someone who knows what they are doing not a *********. :sb: :FM: :BM: :BM:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good news for Taunton Police and Fire the layoff list has been updated now only 13 police officers and 15 fire fighters are on the chopping block. Instead of 57. Things are looking up a little in Taunton. Finally. Hopefully by July 1st the list will change again to 0 layoffs. I say take the money for those 28 jobs directly out of our asshole major's very deep pockets. Anyway just my :2c: Hope everything works out for the fine boys and girls in blue of Taunton. :beer:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats great if its true - wow - and we will be hopefully having a retirement in July - so I will only be laid off a month at the most - (Hopefully) The layoff list wont be as large as everyone thinks.... I wonder what will happen next year!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
A late update for the TPD layoff. I believe they only layed off 8 cops and as far as I hear just about all of them have got reassigned with other depts. 1 in Franklin, 1 in Middleboro and a couple in Attleboro. I think.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Come to Arizona

I am sorry to hear about the layoffs up there in Assachusetts. As it seems, I had left at a good time.

If anyone cares, Arizona can always use some good Mass cops to their department. Agencies out here are hiring anywhere from 5 two 20 officers every 3-4 months and the pay is camparable to back east. With the exception of Phoenix PD every agency will need to hire numerous officer to patrol an ever increasing population and land growth during the next 10 -15 years.The only thing you need to worry about is the 300 days of sunshine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
RPD931 said:
Walpole is in the process of taking a Female from the Taunton List...
If its who I think it is she is a very good officer. She put up with my father night after night......that says something about her patience. :L:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
LOL... My understanding is she has about 7 years experience and is Quite feminine... (The nice term for cute..lol)

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
Latest update ref. TPD situation. Seven officers were laid off. All of the seven have gotten jobs elsewhere and I believe of those two left the field altogether. Recently three more officers retired, but new mayor Bob Nunes said there was no money to replace these men. You know it is pretty bad when you can't replace positions that are already budgeted! Our man Nunes has alot of work to do! To date, Taunton is down 14 patrol officer positions. And response times are going through the roof!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.