Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've met quite a few Troopers with Tats, a couple of which had some visible ones (in short sleeves). I hear that tattoos are not a big deal anymore presuming that they aren't offensive, gang related, etc. Is this true that MSP doesn't care much anymore unless of course you have a huge "I'd rather be stealin' " across your forehead?
 
G

·
Don't even think about getting tattoos that are visible. First, you look like an idiot and second you disgrace the summer uniform. I recall one younger trooper than I who transfered into my barracks in the winter. Come the summer and the short sleeves and I was horrified to see EXTENSIVE visible tattoos on both arms(spider webs, lightning bolts, etc.). After asking around I found out he got them after the academy. If you wanted tats on your arms you should have been a sailor or a biker.

just my opinion...

Guinness2429
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
From what I have heard, military tattoos are ok, but like guinness said it is a disgrace to the summer uniform. Word of advice if you don't have one, don't get one. I was the only marine in my company to not have a USMC tattoo and I don't regret it. Besides don't even think of doing undercover work with tattoos.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Guinness2429 said:
Don't even think about getting tattoos that are visible. First, you look like an idiot and second you disgrace the summer uniform. I recall one younger trooper than I who transfered into my barracks in the winter. Come the summer and the short sleeves and I was horrified to see EXTENSIVE visible tattoos on both arms(spider webs, lightning bolts, etc.). After asking around I found out he got them after the academy. If you wanted tats on your arms you should have been a sailor or a biker.

just my opinion...

Guinness2429
I know who you are talking about. The Major wasn't too happy. He is a good Trooper, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Well, some people like myself have visible tattoo's, so to say that someone is an idiot because they have them is just rude!!. I have meet alot of Law Enforcement in Massachusetts and just because you can not see visble one believe they have on other parts of their body, so does that make them idiot's too? just because you can not see them. I am sure the State Police do not judge the person on some visible tattoo's compared too education and work experiance then again I might be wrong.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Enforcer said:
Well, some people like myself have visible tattoo's, so to say that someone is an idiot because they have them is just rude!!. I have meet alot of Law Enforcement in Massachusetts and just because you can not see visble one believe they have on other parts of their body, so does that make them idiot's too? just because you can not see them. I am sure the State Police do not judge the person on some visible tattoo's compared too education and work experiance then again I might be wrong.
It's an appearance thing...Most PD's let you have a moustache too, but it's just not done on the MSP. I have seen some local guys with full beards, etc..It just looks weird. I know a lot of guys with Tattoos, but they have them someplace not visible in the uniform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I have alot of ink. However, for the specific reason of trying to get on the MSP, you will not see it unless I want you too! Or unless the MSP starts making Troopers wear tank tops!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
tats

Guinness2429 said:
First, you look like an idiot...
Oh give me a break, I don't have any tats, but if that isn't one of the biggest jackass statements I've seen so far on this board I don't know what is.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Re: tats

Joe B said:
Guinness2429 said:
First, you look like an idiot...
Oh give me a break, I don't have any tats, but if that isn't one of the biggest jackass statements I've seen so far on this board I don't know what is.
In Guinness' defense, I believe he was referring to your appearance in the Summer (short sleeved) Uniform with visible tattoos. I agree, it looks ridiculous (depending on the tattoo)...Picture a m/v stop where the Trooper saunters up the the vehicle with chinese writing on his neck, and bizarre symbols all over his forearms...I know I would think it looked unprofessional. If a guy had a USMC or Navy tat on his bicep it probably wouldn't look so strange.
 
G

·
Wait a minute! The "biggest jackass" statement?? I've seen a lot worse on my very short time on this board. But, I'll humor you.....Appearance is not everything, but it can go along way to gaining respect and at least looking the part. I know plenty of do-nothings who look great in the uniform, but I wouldn't trust them to back me up if they were the last trooper in the state! I'd rather have a guy with tats whose a good cop than a guy who just looks like a good cop, but sucks.

It is just my personal opinion that you shouldn't have exotic and extensive tattoos on the visible part of your arms. It also depends on what type of tats you have, i.e. spider webs, pot leaves, naked women, etc. vs. mother/wife/kids name, hearts, shamrocks(of course), religious or ethnic tattoos, etc. It gives the wrong first impression to both fellow police and the public. If you want a lot of tattos, illustrate the other parts of your body hidden by the uniform.

Lastly, I was also trying to give that fellow or originally posted the question an unequivical(sp?) answer.

What's next? Nose rings or lip plugs while in uniform?

just one jackass' opinion...

Guinness2429
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
What about Janet Jackson nipple clips....... :lol: Actually those are fine because they are under the uniform.....I have to agree with Guinness2429 on this one. When you wear the uniform, you always have the public eye on you....with that being said, I think the professional look is most important. Shows you take pride in your position and image. I have tatoos on one shoulder and one bicep...not visible though....so I will say there is nothing wrong with having them, just use good judgment on where they are being placed.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
4,316 Posts
Now all prospective candidates for the 77th RTT should get a tatoo of a bulldog with a smokey hat "ROAD-DAWG" and a patch of the MSP on their right arm. That will show your dedication in the academy and it will clearly identify you as someone that needs special attention in the academy. :lol: :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what you're saying is I shouldn't get a "Show me your boobs" tat on my forehead? Man!!! You can't do ANYTHING in the MSP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,172 Posts
Once we got short sleeve shirts, tattoos below the elbow were a disqualifier for enlistment in the MSP...I don't believe that is the case now.

Previous to short sleeves and slacks, the summer uniform consisted of changing from the garrison cover to the campaign cover(a practice that continued through the sixties).

Tattoos are appropriate for Maori tribesmen, sailors and bikers. I can't think of any use for "body art", but if you can, go ahead and get ink: discreet should be the watchword for placement.
 
G

·
Maori tribeman...excellent referrence. Nothing wrong with a well-read and educated cop. I agree with your opinion 100%. Carry on!

Guinness2429
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
H50 said:
Now all prospective candidates for the 77th RTT should get a tatoo of a bulldog with a smokey hat "ROAD-DAWG" and a patch of the MSP on their right arm. That will show your dedication in the academy and it will clearly identify you as someone that needs special attention in the academy. :lol: :mrgreen:
Hee-Hee! Reminds me of my time in Marine Corps boot camp, Parris Island, SC. 1985...A kid in my platoon arrived with a big-ass USMC tattoo ALL READY permanently displayed on his bicep! The DI's gave him some of that special attention you speak of...... They had him write "RECRUIT"
with a black, permanent Sharpie Marker underneath his "USMC" tattoo, which he would have to "touch-up" every day or two when it started to fade, all the way up to graduation. Ha-Ha!

The DI's wanted to remind him, and all of us, that becoming a Marine was not guaranteed to any one of us, and we should consider boot camp to be like a "Three-Month-Long Job Interview"! Oh the memories! Ooh-Rah!
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,658 Posts
H50 said:
Now all prospective candidates for the 77th RTT should get a tatoo of a bulldog with a smokey hat "ROAD-DAWG" and a patch of the MSP on their right arm. That will show your dedication in the academy and it will clearly identify you as someone that needs special attention in the academy. :lol: :mrgreen:
Yimmy!

You better PRAY the D.I.'s never see your Romanian Mafia tattoos you lucky bastard!
:oops:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top