Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
used them in california, I don't know of any agency here in massachusetts that has them.

i think they are an effective tool, as long as the suspect does not pull out the dart!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
I believe their use/possession is illegal here in the commonwealth.

For the Police here to even consider adopting Tasers would probably require some legislative measures and the MCJTC (MPTC?) incorporating training and standards etc.......

Personally,
I think Tasers are not worth the effort. To many drawbacks.
:roll:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mpd61, what kind of drawbacks are you talking about.

My department issued each officer (300) and the only concern the officer had was the size of the Taser but that issue was resolved by issuing us the new Taser. The new Taser is litter, small and more effective.

I am not saying the Taser is the answer for ever situation we encounter. It's just another tool we can use to resolve everyone's issues.

Funny thing, I had a citizen approach me and ask me why I was still carrying a firearm when I have the Taser. My reply would not be appropriate for the board.

G

·
masstoazcop said:
Mpd61, what kind of drawbacks are you talking about.

Funny thing, I had a citizen approach me and ask me why I was still carrying a firearm when I have the Taser. My reply would not be appropriate for the board.
1. Size for one. I have enough on with the firearm/mags/pepper/pr24/cuffs/micro shield/condoms& radio holsters and cases. My spine is so far out of alignment already!
:lol:

2. Not so good in multiple perp situations. Once you use it, you are somewhat tied to the one individual you used it on. With Pepper, It's kind of like the gift that keeps on giving. Shoot one or more perps, do it again, holster it and use you baton or firearm. (if justified) Once that Taser is employed, you can't just forget it for a while.
:-k

3. Perhaps it would be overkill for everyday wear/training. It might have a use for being carried in Cruiser for non-lethal alternative to certain situations. But I don't think it's necessary for general issue.
:wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
An Act Regarding Police Safety

The following sentence shall be added at the end of Chapter 140, section 131J as appearing in the official edition of the General Laws:
This section shall not apply to the possession or use by a police officer of such a portable device or weapon, or to the sale to or purchase of the same by a police department.

G

·
Brian823 said:
An Act Regarding Police Safety

The following sentence shall be added at the end of Chapter 140, section 131J as appearing in the official edition of the General Laws:
This section shall not apply to the possession or use by a police officer of such a portable device or weapon, or to the sale to or purchase of the same by a police department.
Thats why this weapon is such a useful tool for Constables, C90 S1 covers them to carry such.

Zap'm and Serve'm

I'm just kidding.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think having a Tazer would be a nice tool to carry. More so for unarmed campus police officer such as myself. It would also provide some late night entertainment zapping each other........spraying OC in the station is just getting a little old. :D :transmet:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As to the size of the Taser. The Taser m26 was made to look like a gun and it was alittle more bulky than my GLock 21. We carried the M26 on our thighs, opposite our firearm.

The new Taser X26 is much much small than the M26 and can be carried on either your duty belt or in a thigh holster. Since our department has placed the Taser on the same Force Continuem as "OC", officer have the choice to carry OC on their duty belts or not.

If anyone is interested checkout Taser internatioanl website for some information and videos.

·
Registered
186 Posts
masstoazcop, what Dept. do you work for if you don't mind me asking because I thaught that tazers, even for Police were illegal in MA.

Stay Safe.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The force spectrum from cuffs/fists to pepper spray to baton/maglight to firearm is quite adaquate. I feel that,essentially,the taser is at the same level as pepper spray and is superfluous for most situations. I could see some tactical use in certain scenarios, but a taser would probably be better left in a cruiser until called for. As others have mentioned I already carry a firearm, mags, 2 sets of cuffs, flashlight, oc spray, radio and baton, I don't need another piece of gear hanging on the ol' batman belt.

-DODK911 - massto AZ - probably a dept in Arizona(?)
-masstoaz - Disadvantages? How about the taser setting some people on fire becase the propellant used in OC is flammable? The again that could be a benefit....

G

·
Sounds like pretty soon the prisons will have no walls just electronic fences. Kind of on the same scheme of those dog fences to keep the pooch in the yard. Only with much stiffer consequensea. OUCH talk about a bad hair day. If technology keeps growing at the rate it is what I'm joking about here could possibly becoame a reality someday sooner than we think.

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
Kinda reminds me of scene from the original "Terminator" movie when the governor is in the pawn shop picking out some hardware:

TERMINATOR (V.O.)

...the Remington 1100 Autoloader...

WIDE as the CLERK, who looks like a sick lizard, pallid
and paunchy, takes the rifle from a wall rack. He lays it
beside the arsenal of perfectly legal anti-human artillery
already on the glass counter.
Terminator scans expressionlessly for additional selec-
tions.

CLERK

Anything else?

TERMINATOR

A phased plasma rifle in
the forty watt range...

CLERK

(annoyed)
Just what you see, pal.

He indicates the display case and wall racks with a
minimal gesture.

TERMINATOR

The Uzi 9 millimeter.

CLERK

(setting it out)
You know your weapons, buddy.

James Cameron. Prophet.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
New England Police Short on Stun Guns

New Londod, Conn. - Nonlethal and other technologically advanced weapons are nearly absent from police arsenals in New England.

Of 4,000 law enforcement agencies that use Tasers, or Stun Guns, fewer than 50 are in New England.

"We've got to drag New England into the current century," said Lt. Jay Kehoe, a Glastonbury Conn Police Officer. "The bottom line is that these technologies are proven lifesavers."

The new weapons do not replace Officers traditional firearms but instead provide an alternative. Police at a distance can fire a Taser or a beanbag that temporarily disables a suspect giving Officers a chance to disarm and arrest with minimal harm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.