Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions.. what departments in Mass have a Tactical EMS unit? If you have Tactical EMS training would this increase your chances of getting onto a dept?

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Tactical EMS? Never heard of such a thing. You mean like rapell from the top of a building with an ace bandage gripped in their teeth? They give them non pointy scissors for a reason you know. Just cancre mechanics in my book. Load em up & bring them to the real doctors I say. Just a fancy boxed cab that costs about $175 a trip.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tactical EMS usually run with a swat team or ERT. They are medics trained to enter situations with LEO's. More than enough times they are LEO's themselves. It is a rare breed. But.. thanks for the input...

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Boston EMS has one. I do believe there was a Tactical EMS training class at MSP a couple weeks ago, not sure though - I saw alot of BDU's and a few EMS folks I know.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
HC

Tactical EMT's are usually cross trained Law Enforcement/EMS providers. They are specially trained to provide on scene patient care and stabilization during an tactical (i.e. SWAT, active shooter, confined spaces....) situations. The whole "load them up and get them to the real Dr." mentality will work for some injuries but for the more serious ones you definitely would want someone on scene who can provide more advanced care to stabilize the patient before transport. In your case in Boston where there are so many hospitals having a tactical EMT not be that necessary but in other parts of the state that are not so urban they can be very valuable.

Ranger,
Trp. William McElhiney (508-867-1161) runs the CONTOMS (tactical EMS) program for MSP try to give him a call.

·
Registered
147 Posts
RPD you are correct MSP did have a CONTOMS(EMT-T) class this past week. Like Irishpride said for the most part most EMT-T are police officers they are specially trained to treat injured PO's civilians and suspects in side a hot area until they can get them out and to other awaiting EMS units. I think Fallon still helps out by providing specially trained Paramedics with Metro-LEC and there call-outs. Also Trp William McElhiney is the man to goto if you are interested in a EMT-T class. However I don't believe they hold them very often usually only one a year from what I remember and with the prospects for 2 RTT's they probably won't have another one for a while

·
Registered
370 Posts
2 questions.. what departments in Mass have a Tactical EMS unit? If you have Tactical EMS training would this increase your chances of getting onto a dept?
I don't believe it would help.

A couple of the swat guys on my dept. are paramedics. This fact helped them get on the swat team...but it didn't help them become cops.

You might get a small town chief that might like the fact that your EMS, but then again, small town chiefs don't have swat teams.

On the other hand, being an EMT or paramedic would probably help you get on the fire dept.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Some towns (though not many) have EMT preference. Also, not always, but most times it can be a deciding factor between you and another candidate. It was s deciding factor for a friend of mine that was tied with 2 others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.