SWAT tryout advice/tips | MassCops

SWAT tryout advice/tips

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Education & Training Questions' started by Blueline_103, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Blueline_103

Blueline_103 New Member

Looking for some advice for anyone who’s gone through a swat tryout..my agency tailors the tryout towards a Crossfit based workout from what I hear. I heard they try to weed people out in the first 3-4 hours of day 1 (2 day tryout). In the past they’ve had people run a 2 1/2 mile run immediately followed by an obstacle course with no rest in between. I’ve also heard there is some type of uphill run wearing a gas mask which supposedly smokes people..strength wise I feel good, but I definitely need to ramp up the cardio. Any advice from anyone who’s gone through this? Specifically maybe in regards to the gas mask run if anyone’s ever gone through it.

2. Shosh328

Shosh328 MassCops Member

never gone through it but regarding the gas mask run, you can buy an training mask and wear it while your training for the tryout. the masks are made for athletes that are training to compete in higher altitudes. it restricts your air intake to simulate thinner air.

3. Oakum yokum

Oakum yokum MassCops Member

You kinda have a idea of what to expect.

Try to train for what the require. Big box stores, respirator, wear it 24-7,. Funny yes, weird yes,. But may hell ling's adjust,
    Not sure how much training time you have.

4. PapaSmurf0311

PapaSmurf0311 MassCops Member

Every agency I imagine is different in how they pick their people but in my agency (part time team) there was a heavy emphasis on shooting. Being in great shape is all well and good but if you can't shoot they will more than likely move on to the next guy. We had guys do lights out with the PT test but when shooting time came they were less than stellar and were not selected. My advice would be to keep up with your PT but go shooting a few times a week. Shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. My .02. Good luck.

Danusmc0321 likes this.
  5. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Know how to do the SWAT Roll.

BxDetSgt likes this.
  6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Know the lyrics to the theme song. Oh yes, back in 1975, Steve Forrest wrote some pretty cool lyrics. Be able to SING them.

Goose and Edmizer1 like this.
  7. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Know how to drive a bread van.

Kilvinsky and Goose like this.