Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Swansea's Reserves are more like the "on call" officers.
They work the paid details, OT, and fill-ins for normal shifts.
Their reserve program seems pretty highly talked about by other Dept, as is the quality of officers that come from it.
It'de make for a PERFECT part time job while you get experience and wait to get "that call" for a FT position, or eventualy there will be more openings on the FT force, theres a good half dozen LEO's that are getting up there in age and years on the force....
Swansea currently has 3 people in the FT accademy, all came from the reserves.
You must be a reserve to be hired FT.
Must have min. of 60 credits to apply for the Res Test.
There was only 2 that tested during the last testing procedure.
Swansea is, like most towns, very political, but also a good dept. New(er) cruisers, decently equipped, time for a new station, but the new chief came from Tiverton RI and from what i've heard, the general consensus from the force is good things since he took over.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hecktate,

How'd you make out? I thought that was one of the easiest exams i've taken so far. There was more people than expected, i counted about 15 or 16, but i talked to the Deputy Cheif after and he said they are looking to hire 8-10! :shock:

Seems like it would be a costly process though.. Have to pay for psych testing, all gear, and you don't get paid when training at the academy or at the station. I recently got a full set of black nylon duty gear for my other job and a Glock 23... they only authorize leather gear and S&W pistols. :( No way i'm selling my Glock though!

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
R/I academy? The Dep. Cheif said if they get enough people they will organize their own Reserve academy.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.