Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on Swansea PD or is anyone taking the reserve exam on Feb. 1? I'm thinking about applying.. still not sure.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
Seriously now,

Good way for the town to make a few bucks. I interviewed with the selectmen in the mid 90's. They only interviewed about eight candidates. I was the only one with sworn experience and academy. The Executive Secretary and one Swansea Sgt. were in my corner. Guess what?
:wink:
Others out here will tell you they got a good idea who's already in.
Guess it can't hurt to take a test and spend some $$. It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, i don't think I will be testing. I'm looking for a FT, sworn position, not reserve. I just found out that another dept I applied for in VT, Barre City had less than 20 applicants for two FT spots. They are a pretty busy town with about 10,000 residents. I most likley will have a roster spot with VSP for the summer academy but my chances are good with Barre too since I will have a AS degree in May. An AS degree in VT is like having a Master's in MA! :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI,

Swansea Reserve Police Officers are sworn personnel. They will be hiring many reserve officers to bulk up the currently depleted list. You must be a reserve officer to be appointed full-time. The new chief has expanded the patrol force by 7 patrolmen in the last 16 months and has plans to further strengthen the department within the next few months.

Also, unlike in years past, the process has turned into a "hire based upon your qualifications process" rather than who you may know. It is a tough/expensive process to go through, but it is worth it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't want to discourage anybody...but I looked into Swansea reserve 2-3 years ago. They only pay 12 bucks per hour.

Hopefully that has changed. I think they've got a nerve asking for people with experience to take on a dangerous job...and then paying them less than what a manager makes at Burger King.

Then again, if you can somehow hang on at that rate of pay until a F-T slot opens up...I guess it's worth it in the long run.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
I have always found Swansea PD to be a good dept. that treats their Reserve Officers well. I have known a few people who were Reserve Officers there and they all enjoyed the experience. Their Chief is committed to moving the dept. from a typical small town PD (all politics) to a professional agency.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if you're required to have academy training before applying to Swansea? Also, if you do not, will Swansea put you through it?

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Academy training isn't required but you need 60 college credits or active military experience to apply

·
Registered
30 Posts
Swansea is a great place to work as long as the town has money. The Chief had to add so many people recently because so many left a few years ago when the town almost went bankrupt. It is not a bad place to work and you will gain a great deal of experience. It is an excellent stepping stone to bigger and better things. But if you want to be a successful reserve their make sure you play nice with the union boys they are the true poor behind the thrown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it will be scheduled after the written test is given. it will be based upon how many applicants actually take the test.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
He's certainly a handsome devil though!

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I decided to go ahead and apply and will be dropping off my application tommorrow. Anyone else here applying?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, is the pay that low? That's even lower than I thought it was, when I looked into it a few years ago.

No one can afford to work for that kind of $$!!!

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well its better than an auxillary spot which pays nothing. I would be doing it for the experience and opportunity to get a FT gig, not for the $$. I would imagine the reserves don't work all that often??? I have two other jobs so i would survive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.