Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i'd like to say that this is a great forum.I am a newly hired security guard and have been shopping for a service weapon.today i found a smith and wesson sw40c used at a gun shop here in lubbock.they are only asking $259.00 for it.i have done a lot of research and have read that some of the earlier series sigmas had some problems. this is stamped with MA state police on the slide so i am hoping that someone on this forum can tell me if this was a reliable series or not.its either going to be this weapon or a ruger gp100 .357 4". any help would be greatly appreciated. this is going to be a gun i have to be able to rely on and i want to make sure to get it right.
 

·
Masscops Therapist
Joined
·
7,306 Posts
zharn said:
first off i'd like to say that this is a great forum.I am a newly hired security guard and have been shopping for a service weapon.today i found a smith and wesson sw40c used at a gun shop here in lubbock.they are only asking $259.00 for it.i have done a lot of research and have read that some of the earlier series sigmas had some problems. this is stamped with MA state police on the slide so i am hoping that someone on this forum can tell me if this was a reliable series or not.its either going to be this weapon or a ruger gp100 .357 4". any help would be greatly appreciated. this is going to be a gun i have to be able to rely on and i want to make sure to get it right.
I am by no means an expert, but as far as I know the mass state police have never carried the smith and wesson sigma. I believe they carry the sig sauer p226.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
The Sigma is NOT a gun that I'd depend on to save my life! I owned one of the Sigma's in .40 (bought in 1999 IIRC) and it literally broke the first time I fired it (factory ammo) and S&W repaired it. Shortly after, I sold it.

Look to Sig, H&K, other S&W models, Walther P99 .40, Glock (if you like them . . . I don't) for a reliable gun.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,713 Posts
LenS said:
The Sigma is NOT a gun that I'd depend on to save my life! I owned one of the Sigma's in .40 (bought in 1999 IIRC) and it literally broke the first time I fired it (factory ammo) and S&W repaired it. Shortly after, I sold it.

Look to Sig, H&K, other S&W models, Walther P99 .40, Glock (if you like them . . . I don't) for a reliable gun.
LenS
I agree, he should buy the Ruger GP100
:t:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mpd61 said:
LenS
I agree, he should buy the Ruger GP100
:t:
thank you so much for the input.on a hunting expedition today i found an extremely nice sig .45 i think its a p220.its priced at 450.00 with an extra mag and case for the gun.if i can put the funds together i.e. beg and borrow i think that will be it.if i cant parley the dough i am going with the ruger. i appreciate the help from experienced law enforcement professionals. ill make sure and post and let you folks know what i end up getting.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top