By Brian Fraga
Standard-Times staff writer
August 12, 2008 6:00 AM
NEW BEDFORD - A city man who was charged earlier this year with armed robbery and witness intimidation has been arrested again after an alleged gunpoint robbery.
This time, police say Fabio Tavares, 18, of 99 Oak St., New Bedford, and another man brandished a gun and assaulted a man outside a Smith Street residence on June 9, stealing a cell phone and other items.
Arraigned Monday in District Court on armed robbery charges, a judge revoked bail for Mr. Tavares, a reputed West End gang member who already had a pending case for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
Police arrested Mr. Tavares in April for allegedly assaulting a witness three weeks earlier. Police said Mr. Tavares attacked the witness and warned him he would be dead if he testified against him in court.
The victim was the same man whom Mr. Tavares and three other men allegedly robbed at gunpoint in a Hillman Street residence in January, police said. Police arrested Mr. Tavares on Feb. 28. According to court records, he was released on personal recognizance.
On June 5, the charges stemming from the Hillman Street armed robbery were dismissed without prejudice because the witness did not appear in court to testify, according to court records.
On Aug. 9, Mr. Tavares told police he was standing outside a Smith Street residence with a friend, Luis Antonio Rosa, 21, of New Bedford, when they saw two men walking with "their girls," court records said.
Mr. Tavares said he and Mr. Rosa assaulted one man, but did not use any weapons. The victim told police Mr. Tavares wore a black handkerchief over his face and pointed a silver handgun at him while Mr. Rosa punched him in the face and neck.
Police officers found the two suspects walking nearby at the intersection of Cedar and Campbell streets. Police found a black handkerchief on Mr. Tavares, but did not find any weapons, court records said.