Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MassCops Public Service Message, ok it's just an email I received but I thought I would share it :wink:

Let's say it's 6:15 PM and you're driving home (alone of course), after an unusually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.

Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. You have been trained in CPR, but the instructor that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without letup until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm.

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
Gil @ 15 Sep 2004 22:45 said:
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without letup until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
That feels good !! Now...how do I clean my computer screen :?: :?:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Gil @ 15 Sep 2004 22:45 said:
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without letup until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
That feels good !! Now...how do I clean my computer screen :?: :?:
nice.... :L: :L: :L:

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
If this did work I would be out of a job,wait I dont have a job. So does it work? I wonder....... :-k

I dont know, but I have never heard someone say..........wait dont call 911 I will just cough.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me if this really worked I am sure it would have been in the latest CPR class. I think the email was created by someone that likes to look at sputum :wink: But I guess if your about to kick it you'll try anything :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
This article, email, what ever is not new. Last time it was circulating was around April of last year(2003). At that time the coordinator of CPR instructors that I tier up to asked his medical director to comment. (medical director = Doctor who provides expert opinion and advises the given agency)

I'm inserting a copy of the response here. I've deleted the to/froms as I choose not to publish their names in a public forum. However, if anyone realy wants to know PM me and I'll provide.

>
>This is an interesting article. Cough CPR, which is what this is called,
>has been observed to keep some patients conscious during VF arrests. All
>the victims that I know about were supine, and as the BP and cardiac output
>are very low, it is doubtful that you would be able to stay upright.
>
>The cough technique is commonly used in the cardiac catheterization lab, and
>x-rays show it does force blood through the coronary arteries ( the
>cardiologists use it to force the dye out of the arteries).
>
>I doubt that you will have any real warning of VF, but this technique is
>certainly better than the alternative - clinical death. It certainly won't
>do any harm - maybe one in a thousand chance for it to be used, but I have
>no objection to sharing this.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
VF or ventricular fibrillation is a bit different than just having a good ole heart attack, with VF, your heart is uselessly quivering, providing no blood to the coronary arteries or another important organ, the brain. With the heart attack, your heart is still beating, and providing some oxygen however a area of an artery is blocked, and the affected area of heart muscle is not receiving oxygen. Within only a few seconds of VF, you would lose consciousness, often long before one would be able to attempt to mount any form of response. If a certain portion of your arteries in the heart is blocked, coughing or just about anything short of an angioplasty probably isnt going to do you a hell of a lot of good. Now onto the coughing part. If your heart is acting a little weird,(usually by beating extremely fast) and NOT caused by running to the local DD, one can perform whats known as a vagal manuever, (which could be coughing, or blowing through a straw, the act of bearing down as if one has to defecate) can assist in slowing the heart down by direct action on the vagus nerve. Howver I dont recommend you advise any one on the street to do this if they feel faint, or whatever the case may be, since you could cause them to bottom out, if their blood pressure is low, or other factors are involved, thus creating more work for yourself. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.