Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussign MA gun laws the other day and someone said they though suppressors were legal in MA. Now i have no interest in owning one, but i thought it was odd that a super strict state such as MA would allow something as evil :twisted: :evil: :twisted: as a ::GASP::supressors thats the kinda thing only an assassin or mob hit man would use. so does anyone know for sure are they legal? are the LE/GOV only?

·
Registered
118 Posts
They either fall under the class 3 licensing or they are only legal for LE/Govt use, I can't remember. I am quite sure thought that the average Joe with an LTC cannot purchas/possess one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: Suppressors?

AFCOP";p="62972 said:
We talking about Silencers or flash supressors?
Hmm, good questions!

I don't know what the OP meant, but my response was relative to those things called "suppressors" or "silencers" or "mufflers" . . . all in reference to devices that reduce the noise of a gun shot.

As for "flash suppressors" . . . they are illegal in MA (for all except Gov/LE use) UNLESS they are installed on a pre-ban (prior to 9/13/94) so-called AWB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My original post was in reference to Noise Supressors (silencers) now to add another guestion my local animal control officer has a supressed .22 rifle and a supressed .45 rifle now since he is a LEO does he fall under the goverment section of the law? now i know he keeps the locked in the PD's weapons room is this something they let him do but is not strictly legal?

·
Registered
456 Posts

If s/he is sworn LE (some animal control officers are, some may not be) and the gun is owned by PD/town it should be legal. It probably still has to be registered with BATF.

·
Registered
47 Posts

LenS";p="62974 said:
AFCOP";p="62972 said:
We talking about Silencers or flash supressors?
As for "flash suppressors" . . . they are illegal in MA (for all except Gov/LE use) UNLESS they are installed on a pre-ban (prior to 9/13/94) so-called AWB.
Unless they are permanently affixed to the barrel, such as on modern AR-15, and AK-47 knockoffs (that are 100% mass compliant).

-- Joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
MGH_PD";p="62931 said:
I was discussign MA gun laws the other day and someone said they though suppressors were legal in MA. Now i have no interest in owning one, but i thought it was odd that a super strict state such as MA would allow something as evil :twisted: :evil: :twisted: as a ::GASP::supressors thats the kinda thing only an assassin or mob hit man would use. so does anyone know for sure are they legal? are the LE/GOV only?
There is nothing evil or wrong with a supressor. Our neighbors in NH can have 'em, among many other states. We're just brainwashed here into thinking its wrong to make less noise.

-- Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts