Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for some advice on what are some good departments to work for... and when do they start the hiring process. Any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
you need to already have the following: MPTC Reserve/Intermittent Academy, First Responder, and a Class A (unless you like carrying around a department revolver)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am currently in the r/i academy and we graduate the end of january and we finish first responder next week but i don't have a class a because i do not turn 21 until beginning of july.. can i still apply for this summer ???

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the funniest and at the same time serious job I worked while attending University of Cape Cod is the job of summer police officer in Provincetown, Ma during the year 1982. The best part is when you tell people you work in Provincetown they look at you like Queer eye for the straight guy. But you would not believe how many straight women that live, work and vacation in P-Town. Great experience, call them and request an application. If you get there try the Kail soup at the Bakery on Commercial Street 8)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Provincetown is a very busy place in the summer. I believe the revolvers are gone for summer officers, so no more Wyatt Earp comments. I think Provincetown also has the highest paid summer officers. You can get hired at 19, but the gun stays at the station when you are not working. Any more questions, PM me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is the hiring process like? Do you have to take the civil service exam to apply ? And when do they start the hiring process?? thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nantucket is a blast. You have to be 18 years old, and they begin the process in January. You can check the town website and download an application from there when they become avaliable. They have different patrols including ATV beach patrol, foot and bicycle (the best). It is a great experience and they provide you with housing. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Most cape and Island towns start their hiring processe for summer officers usually between January and February. Some towns might be later depending on when the town management approves the process. I would reccomend checking the websites of the towns your interested in. I know Provincetown and Wellfleet are two lower cape towns that hire summer officers. Towns usually vary year by year depending on budget issues. Good luck

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Yeah, Wellfleet is ok, I interviewed for the job last year \Wellfleet pays a little over 10 an hour, and I was told you rotate from fixed posts, to bike, to walking, to occasionally riding.
Eastham hires too, but from what I have been told by Eastham summer officers is it sucks. You sit in the middle of route 6 by the post office, and direct traffic. Other times this summer they were posted on a beach to watch for trespassing beachgoers on private property.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you guys for the advice it seems like provincetown is a good place to work i am definitely going to apply there ....i just saw an ad in the paper for wareham they are already accepting applications i wonder how that department is p.s how do i pm someone to get more info

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know Hampton, NH has summer positions for beach activity...usually a very active area a lot more criminal activity than the Cape as motorcycle gangs flock to the area.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what are the uniforms for summer jobs? Are they the same as the full time officers?
Do you have to purchase your own stuff?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.