Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nextel contract is up in a month and Im thinking of switching to a Blackberry or some other phone. Looking for some recommendations..

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
For someone as, shall we say "cautious" with money,
I would suggest this as being right up your alley Georgie Boy....

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I have been anxiously awaiting the inauguration of the Blackberry Storm for quite a few months now and it appears that it will be available the second week of November.

If you foresee switching carriers, I would opt for Verizon; Nextel sucks.

This phone is going to be f'ing sweet; take a look at the ensuing links:

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrystorm/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_74l4Pttbo

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
That's the one I'm waiting for too Andy.
Our personal cells need to be upgraded, and we're going with the Storm.
I thought about the Voyager Titanium, but I'm more inclined to go with the BB Storm...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I know people who have the Voyager and their general notion seems to be that it's mediocre at best.

I purchased the Samsung Glyde for $380.00 I believe back in April and it's absolutely, positively, indisputably the WORST phone I have ever had; no wonder it's about $80.00 now. No joke -- I have to use all of my self-control and restraint to not smash the thing into microscopic pieces it's that bad.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW...the storm looks sweet, I think that might be the one, and Koz...im not cheap, im not working right now but when I was I was spending baby....champagne limos....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I highly recommend switching from Nextel to Verizon... My dad used to have a Nextel for years for his business line and it was nothing but a complete nightmare. The reception was terrible and the phones were junk. He finally switched over to our family Verizon plan and he's really happy with it. The $0-$80 phones that Verizon offers with a contract are all actually some real nice phones.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am suprised to see everyone likes Verizon here? I had Verizon but found that my phone barely had service and my bill was around $300 every month due to their constant errors...

I have T-Mobile now and couldn't be happier... CHEAP rates with "myfaves" so you never go over your minutes PLUS you get 20% off your monthly bill if you give them your police ID... Blackberrys are OK but I definitely recommend the T-Mobile Dash (More features and WAY easier to use email and all that good stuff).

·
"Tinkerbell"
698 Posts
What do you all think about the IPhone? I have been wanting one, but not sure due to the cost. I know some people that have them and they love them...

·
Registered
89 Posts
What do you all think about the IPhone? I have been wanting one, but not sure due to the cost. I know some people that have them and they love them...
Personally I think the IPhone is the biggest waste of money. Might as well get an Ultra Mobile PC from Samsung or Fujitsu. The battery life on the IPhones makes me want to vomit. It's not something you can put in your pocket in the morning and use all day without needing to charge it several times. Plus, it's almost as fugly as the ipod...

I got this phone for free a couple months ago with Verizon (it's $19.99 now) http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3096 and it does the job for me. If you need any other features, invest in a laptop... The battery life is incredible on this phone, usually lasts me 4-5 days before it needs to be charged.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I went out today and got my new phone. I decided on the Blackberry 8330 Smartphone....the Storm is having to many probems and the Iphone would have cost me a fortune...this phone ended up being free after my 100 rebate and a discount I got. It really is an amazing piece of technology after having a Nextel for a long time...Thanks for all the advice.

·
fraggle tamer
1,887 Posts
Out of curiousity which service did you go through? Is that a Verizon phone?
I would LOVE to get the new Storm but i've heard the same thing. The store I stopped by said they were only getting 10 because of a limited supply due to bugs.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Approximately 90% of the assessments by consumers I've read pertaining to the Storm report a multitude of problems with the software crashing and freezing. Hopefully when my contract is up in a few months all of the issues with the Storm will be remedied. Also, I'm commencing my research on the brand new Samsung Omnia which appears as though it will be awesome. It boasts a 5 megapixel camera and a host of other multimedia features. l

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The great thing about the Blackberry was I didnt need to cancel my contract because Sprint merged with Nextel a while back....that would have cost 200 bucks for early termination...I thought I had only month left but I was wrong. so the way it works out is I got the 8330 and in 6 months when the Storm has all the bugs worked out I will get that. I am very happy with this phone though I got the unlimited package...this thing can do eveything..Merry xmas to me....

G

·
I just got my Storm. No problems and there will also be some OS upgrades to download as time goes on. Most problems are solved on the Storm (Battery life/speed) by properly closing a program. No different than when multiple programs are running on a PC.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got my Storm. No problems and there will also be some OS upgrades to download as time goes on. Most problems are solved on the Storm (Battery life/speed) by properly closing a program. No different than when multiple programs are running on a PC.
Maybe I will return this one then.....do you like it or what....

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I switched from nextel to verizon because my nextel was out of service half the time in buildings. My verizon is out of service 100% of the time in bldgs and I got :hump: for two years. Verizon does work good outside under the sky!! Conclusion being, they all SUCK go with the cheapest T Mobile!!!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts