Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know how the applicant process works for getting hired for the Suffolk County Sheriff? I got a call today to set up a drug test and physical. So if someone could break down the steps from begining to end and what the physical might consist of? Thank you

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WELL SO MUCH FOR THAT
I do not think even with the new Sheriff in they know what is going on. I submit my application and resume in Feb.. I get a call on the answering machine yesterday from human resourses saying that they want to move me along in the applicant process, so call back so we can schedule you for a Medical Exam and Drug test next week. WOW, I am thinking ok it is looking good for me. I call today and the woman is like oh I made a mistake, I was reading from the wrong list. I meant to call you to tell you I recieved your application and it will be considered for future employment. And that we already hired people for the postions. I was so ticked off, how can they make a mistake like that. And now let me tell you something. Iam not racist, but I just got a job with the City 2 weeks ago and this Black Female in my training class just went to the Sheriff today for an interveiw. But the woman at the Sheriff said they did all they hiring and this girl in class said they said she would get called for the physical next. What a country

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
Hey there!

be careful what you say. It's not a racial thing or even gender..........I'm sure she got the job cuz she was a Barnstable County Reserve!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't quit that day job! By the time they get done paying off that court settlement and fines incurred for the female strip search case I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they'll be lettin" a few go. Best of luck otherwise.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I didn't realize that Suffolk was hiring "new" people. I know recently, they had just finished calling back all the people who were layed off. Quite a few I hear didn't take the job back though, and went to other counties.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Devil,

The post you were replying to was over a year old. We had a class go through with your academy last year, and I think we have another one going through. We also had a guy, who after being layed off from Suffolk, came to my department, and then returned after being called back. It seems like things are in a better place for you guys, but then again, that payment for the lawsuit still looms.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
devildog @ Fri 25 Jun said:
everybody that was layed off came back to the department except for 1. as of right now, the department has put on 4 classes within the last 2 years. we're still hiring too.
Pearl, why does your Dept website say your not hiring if they still are? Is Cousins just as political as the rest?

·
MassCops Founder
6,403 Posts
union1 @ 7/8/2004 11:00:26 AM said:
everybody that was layed off came back to the department except for 1. as of right now, the department has put on 4 classes within the last 2 years. we're still hiring too.
Pearl, why does your Dept website say your not hiring if they still are? Is Cousins just as political as the rest?
Probably a lazy webmaster, been there done that. :?

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Gil @ Thu 08 Jul said:
union1 @ 7/8/2004 11:00:26 AM said:
Probably a lazy webmaster, been there done that. :?
Gil, maybe they should hire you for it; :FM:

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
I applied for them about 3 yrs back but decide it wasn't my cup of tea.
I forget what the pay was but it was very tempting in comparison to my my salary at the time.
I was called in with a group and had a tour of south bay then we had to answer some essay form scenario questions.
Then i was called back for drug test and a TB test and interview.
Then i met with the background investigator .
I asked a lot of questions and spoke to several people that i knew that worked there. That is as far as i got in the process.
In the end I decided that i didn't think i would be happy working that type of environment. In my opinion it takes a certain type of person to be locked up all day with dirtbags.
I just felt it wasn't for me personally.
I wish you all the best of luck if you decide to got for it.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Union,

I think we are always accepting applications, to the best of my knowledge. They keep them on file for about 6 months or so. As far as hiring, I really don't know. We have two classes going through right now. One is a very small class of caseworkers and other job classifications, who are being "officerized", that way they get public safety retirement and what not, and get to go back to their cushy job after the academy. The other class is a slightly larger class of newer officers. I don't think we'll be hiring for another 6 months or so after that. It seems we put an academy through about every six months, with the hiring process starting about two months before the academy start date. Although, we've lost about 10 people this month already, so who knows. The younger/newer staff, are flying out the door.

Please Note: I don't work for human resources. The above is just my observations, after working there for awhile.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is there anyone here that is a Suffolk Sheriff? I recieved a letter last month from Suffolk that in August I will be scheduled for an aptitude test, physical fitness evaluation and drug screening. I was just wondering what type of aptitude test it is and what is meant by the physical fitness evaluation. Is the physical with a doctor or is it running and situps? Any info on the process would be helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there anyone here that is a Suffolk Sheriff? I recieved a letter last month from Suffolk that in August I will be scheduled for an aptitude test, physical fitness evaluation and drug screening. I was just wondering what type of aptitude test it is and what is meant by the physical fitness evaluation. Is the physical with a doctor or is it running and situps? Any info on the process would be helpful. Thank you
Hi Enforcer,

Not sure if you are already in the new class but...
The physical fitness eval is conducted by members of the training staff. It is pretty standard, 1.5mile run, situps, pushups, etc.The eval is held at our training/special ops facility in Chelsea. You will also undergo a phsyical at South Bay similar to one you would recieve from your family doctor. Everything happens pretty fast, usually within a few weeks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where do they run at the new training facility in Chelsea? I know the building is not big enough to hold a track inside? Also, do you know how you are scored on the physical fitness test. Iam alittle worried about the 1.5 mile run in 12:30... or do they go by just what you can do? Thank you for any info!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
They run on the streets most of the time. They might take you to one of the tracks. I know they used a football field/track when Essex was grouped with us last year. I wasn't in the class but I saw the pictures. I think it's pass/fail. From what I understand they'll give you another shot if you fail the first time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.