Sturbridge Police- FT Police Officer | MassCops

Sturbridge Police- FT Police Officer

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Sturbridge2525, May 13, 2020.

1. Sturbridge2525

Sturbridge2525 MassCops Member

The Town of Sturbridge will be accepting resumes for the position of full-time police officer. The Sturbridge Police Department is a full service accredited police agency. Duties of this position are under direct supervision and a high quality of service is expected. Patrol officers are assigned an area for the purpose of enforcing state laws relative to the prevention of crime, the apprehension of offenders, the protection of property and persons, the preservation of public peace, and the control of traffic; performs investigative duties, and related public service work as assigned.

Minimum requirements: A U.S. citizen, a high school diploma or equivalent, a valid driver’s license, must be a graduate of the basic full time Massachusetts Police Training Committee Academy or equivalent and a college degree and/or prior military service is preferred but not required. Candidates must be able to possess a Class A License to carry a firearm, ability to work any hours and in all weather conditions, ability to learn and demonstrate job requirements after being trained. Applicants must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test, and successfully complete interview processes. A medical exam, a psychological exam, as well as an extensive background investigation will be conducted on finalists.

Please submit a cover letter and resume to: Interim Chief Earl Dessert, Sturbridge Police Department, 346 MainStreet, Sturbridge, MA 01566. Deadline for submissions is June 8, 2020 @ 4:00 pm.

In accordance with state law, no applicant who has been convicted of a felony can be appointed as a Police Officer. Applications are kept on file for one year after date of receipt. Town of Sturbridge is an E.O.E.

The Mission of the Sturbridge Police Department is to work in partnership with the Community to protect life and property, solve neighborhood problems, and enhance the quality of life in our town.

2. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Do you still wear the Canadian Mountie Class A's?

Goose likes this.
  3. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Very strict place. Need permission to poop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61, Joel98 and triplethreat like this.
  4. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

Many moons ago a bunch of us were out at Devens doing a EVOC refresher with MIAA. The uniform of the day for just about everyone was 5'11s, Polos, and Pancake Holsters. There was one guy from the aforementioned agency who was in full uniform and duty gear. During one of the breaks a few of us asked him if he was coming off or going on duty after the class because he was in full uniform. It was then that we learned that no, he was required to wear either his full duty uniform or a business suit if going to any training. I honestly felt kinda bad for the guy.

Joel98, LGriffin, j809 and 1 other person like this.
  5. 3bike01

3bike01 New Member

I know of another department in Massachusetts that has the same rules. Suit and tie or uniform to all classes. It was an accreditation thing that they were following. That said, it is 2020...the rules need updating!

Joel98 likes this.
  6. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

As I've said before, they seem to be a somewhat...reclusive agency. In all the years I've lived in the area, I've only met a Sturbridge cop once, and that was when I got pulled over for a taillight 15 years ago.

Joel98 likes this.
  7. Sturbridge2525

Sturbridge2525 MassCops Member

Our Class A uniforms are pretty spiffy. Uniform of the day is typically the patrol uniform. BDU in certain circumstances. Suit and tie is pretty much for jury trials. You don’t need permission to go poop, but we do expect a lot from our officers. The reputation of being a difficult place to work is unfortunate. I’d recommend anyone interested in applying to ask around about how things are currently. I hear rumors from people about things that happened two chiefs ago.

Also, the pay is pretty good. First step is $29.15/hr, second step is $31.04 And third step is $32.95/hr. 25% for a masters, 20% for a bachelors, and 10% for an associates in CJ or related field (first 40 hours only). We’re also in the last year of our current contract, so the pay scales should go up.

We’re certainly not reclusive. We do as much of more with the community than other agencies. You should come to National Night Out- or contact me direct for a ride along.

PBC FL Cop, Goose, Joel98 and 2 others like this.
  8. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

The old reputation was rough but I knew a couple good guys from there who did just fine. SPD also scored a retired guy from CSP so they must be doing something right.
    Can't hurt to apply, kids!

9. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

CT state retirement and bennies + the SPD salary? That dude's making some fucking bank!

samadam78 likes this.
  10. Je621

Je621 New Member

Any border to border mileage requirement for Sturbridge?

11. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

Chapter 41 (Non-Civil Service city and town departments) specifies 15 miles from closest border of the employing municipality to the closest border of the municipality where you live.

Chapter 31 (Civil Service) specifies 10 miles from closest border of the employing municipality to the closest point of your property line.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  12. Je621

Je621 New Member

Right, but by-laws and bargaining agreements supersede chapter 41, Lexington 20 miles, westborough in town, contiguous town or waved at chiefs discretion, etc. I guess I am specifically asking sturbridge2525

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

*Unless your union has increased the distance in your contract

14. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Or unless your Chief doesn’t care about that stupid law and doesn’t enforce it.

PBC FL Cop and PG1911 like this.
  15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Unless it was bargained in the contract for more miles the default is 15.

mpd61 likes this.
  16. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

10 miles for Civil Service departments.

j809 likes this.
  17. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Salisbury has it in their contract . Some of them live in New Hampshire

18. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

We have it in our new contract 20 miles and they can live in NH.

mpd61 likes this.
  19. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Watch out for chief's opinions. I know two PDs where the chief didn't care and lots of officers bought houses in far off distant lands. New chiefs came in and demanded strict adherence to the residency limits.

j809 likes this.