Stupid Twitter | MassCops

Stupid Twitter

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by kttref, Mar 4, 2009.

1. kttref

kttref New Member

I've been staying away from Twitter because I just don't care to understand it...so what does my department do? Goes ahead and sets up an account to let officers know of extra duty jobs and OT...meaning (although it's voluntary) it looks like I'm gonna have to sign up.

Why can't people leave well enough alone? What was wrong with just calling people??? ugh.

2. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

Never even heard of it till now. If it is text messages for OT/Details I would sign up that way I wouldn't have to listen to that stupid pager and replace the batteries constantly.... from not beeping!

3. kttref

kttref New Member

Pager??? We have nothing like that. We only even get a call if we're getting ordered in...

Only fancy people on ERT and Scuba get pagers!

4. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

Life in the big city....:p

We get calls too but if it goes out to the pager its open to the entire dept (OT or detail). Forced OT is done by phone

5. DodgeRam

DodgeRam New Member

I'm sorry what is twitter? Facebook style?

6. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Twitter is a social networking and micro-blogging service that allows its users to send and read other users' updates (known as tweets), which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length. Updates are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. Senders can restrict delivery to those in their circle of friends (delivery to everyone being the default). Users can send and receive updates via the Twitter website, SMS, RSS (receive only), or through applications such as Tweetie, Twitterrific, and Feedalizr. The service is free to use over the web, but using SMS may incur phone services provider fees.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

7. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

My department has tried time and time again to make changes to the calling procedure in an attempt to place more of the burden on those who actually want to work. But the changes always fail.

Posting jobs on Twitter would cause rioting in the streets.

8. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

I think this really depends on the level of tech an individual department feels like implementing. When I do my contract work in tech support, they usually provide me with a smart phone, which keeps in sync with my email account. That way, when they email me with optional overtime or extra work, it chimes to indicate the email, I read the email, and stay informed.

I remember asking a campus policeman how their overtime worked, and he explained the beeper system, and how they get beeped in order of seniority and then get to call in and get it. Given the complaints I keep reading about sketchy beeper reception/battery life, it would seem twitter might be a better way to go.