1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Student is stabbed in Dean fight
By Sara Withee / Daily News Staff
Saturday, March 12, 2005

FRANKLIN -- A squabble over a woman led to two fights in two nights between Dean College students and another group, one ending early yesterday morning when a student was stabbed.

No one has been charged in either incident and police are uncertain how many people were involved. But police and college officials say at least two dozen people were fighting in the latest standoff, with even more onlookers.

Franklin Police and ambulance responded to Dean College at about 12:30 a.m. yesterday, after Campus Police reported a male student had been stabbed in the buttocks in an off-campus scuffle, Deputy Police Chief Stephan Semerjian said. The victim was treated at Milford Regional Medical Center and released within a few hours.

Police later learned the victim was stabbed while trying to flee the train station on Depot Street, where the Dean students had gathered to fight another group from the Roxbury area, Semerjian said.

"It boils down to an issue over a girlfriend," Semerjian said. "There were some phone calls between these people and their decision was to meet and battle it out over this girl."

The victim was a bystander who was not involved in the dispute and does not know the name of the person who stabbed him, Semerjian said.

"He was just trying to get away," Semerjian said.

The battle appears to have started brewing Wednesday night, when the city man came to campus and a fight broke out over the woman, who attends Dean College and apparently was spending time with both him and another student, Semerjian said.

On Thursday, the city group arrived in private cars, despite the fight location at the train station, Semerjian said. A student was somehow struck by one of the cars, but did not require medical transport, police and college officials said.

Semerjian said he did not know whether anyone else was armed besides the stabber, though students interviewed yesterday said some were carrying bats and hockey sticks.

Detectives are still investigating whether the fight was gang-related.

Semerjian said the Dean College students should have called police before the fight so officers could handle the situation. They made the investigation even harder for police by not calling until after the Roxbury group had all taken off in their cars, Semerjian said.

"We were caught short to begin with...If this kid had not been injured to that extent, we don't know if we even would have been called," Semerjian said.

Police rushed to catch up yesterday and question students before they left for their one-week spring break.

Dean College spokeswoman Jennifer Fiorentino said college officials were unaware of the Wednesday fight until yesterday. She also said "it's hearsay" whether the Wednesday altercation actually occurred on campus because neither campus police nor Franklin police have any record of it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yup they are still unarmed at Dean College. Hopefully this will be an eye opener over there. Yes they do assist Franklin PD with stuff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup still no guns officers had to respond to 300 plus students doing battle in the courtyard on Emmons Street students were armed with baseball bats and hockey sticks. Only 3 officers were on road patrol that night and had to make do until Franklin and Norfolk Police arrived to assist. College officials seem unconcerned about the safety of their officers because the stabbing happened "off campus" at the T station. Little do they realize we patrol that T station on Depot St. every night. Hats off to the officers that responded that night they did a great job controlling the situation and restoring the peace. Thanks to Franklin and Norfolk Police for responding that night also.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwinell: Schools learn about public records law
By Joe Dwinell
Monday, March 14, 2005

And I quote; "Can I look at your police log?"

"No!"

"That's illegal."

"Talk to the chief. I'll give you his voice mail."

With that exchange, the campus police dispatcher at Dean College in Franklin dumped the public records laws in the trash.

Campus police logs are public. Students have a right to know what's going on around them.

Apparently, the sentiment is not shared by all and that's the glaring problem with our public records laws -- not everybody treats them equally.

Ken Corkran, director of public safety at Dean College, apologized and said the dispatcher was "new" and did not understand the law.

But ignorance is no excuse. Someone in a position of power -- from a dispatcher at a campus police desk to an elected official -- should know the law. Did that same dispatcher scare off any students asking the same question? I'm no stranger to being told no, so I persisted. I'm not sure a student would do the same.

As Robert Ambrogi, executive director of the Massachusetts Newspaper Publishers Association, said in our story yesterday: "I am concerned that this is often perceived as a press issue. Clearly, it is, but this is really a citizens' issue."

Public records are open to everyone. Sometimes you just need to know what's going on around you.

Campus logs can alert female students to sexual assaults on campus, an example one Framingham State College student used.

"Sometimes you need to take matters into your own hands," said Framingham State junior Ali Phillips. "Certain things are taken lightly...without seeing the (police) records, you don't see the action taken."

In his defense, Corkran said his office urges students to be aware of any crime on campus.

"It helps us better educate the students," he said. "A lot of your education programs are based on needs on campus.

"I don't want to ever have anyone say: 'I didn't know,'" he added.

Wellesley College, fresh off last weekend's binge of alcohol abuse reports, was quick to open up their campus police logs. That dispatcher invited me to scan the pages as far back as I desired. (She should call her counterpart in Franklin.)

8) The same was true at the Framingham State Campus Police office. There was no fuss. 8)

Last month, a Georgia state court denied a college student who was raped at a party access to the campus police crime records relating to other sexual assaults. The court said the private Mercer University was exempt from the public records law.

The same is true at Harvard University in Boston. The Harvard Crimson, the school's newspaper of record, is suing the university to open up incident reports. Campus police withhold them, the Crimson reports, "in part to protect the privacy of victims within a small community."

That all may change if legislation moving through the State House is passed requiring public and private colleges to open up the campus police reports, as is the case in every city and town.

"This is the last vestige of that legacy" of withholding information from those who need it most -- the students, said S. Daniel Carter, a senior vice president for Security on Campus, a nonprofit college advocacy group.

This is just one example of where public records are still being hidden. I'm just trying to shed some light on the subject, it is "Sunshine Week."

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Many small schools have a "Campus Police Office" because that is merely all it is. I was also involved in a 300+ person melee at a campus and it took response from nearly 30 Officers from 6 or so agencies... and still no guns.

Its a fact of life in small college politics. The Admin and Trustees all think everything is kosher on their pristine campus, since they would never think there could actually be life safety concerns - it's just a college campus you know :shock: Most of these IDIOTS that decide whether or not the Officers can carry guns are well-to-do folks that live sheltered lives in affluent towns/neighborhoods, you know, where their house sits 1000 feet into the woods so they can't see the REAL world. It amazes me how much these people don't give a hist about Officer safety, they think as long as they don't acknowledge the problem it doesn't exist. They think REAL Police on campus is bad for business... god forbid they would actually protect the student body. :mad:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our day dispatcher/administrative assistant has no law enforcement background at all and knows nothing about the law, I can remember when I first got into law enforcement I didn't know shit either. The girl types and answers the radio and phone, she made a mistake, she is just learning as some of us were at one time. She didn't realize logs were public record. What can I say she had a piss poor FTO, he was too busy checking her out instead of teaching her anything. She is aware that she is to give out the daily log upon request to anyone. As far as scaring students off in my 4 years there no student has ever come and requested our log nor do we advertise that it is available to anyone. All crimes on campus are however posted by name date and location on the bulletin board outside our office so that students and any one else can come read it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had to battle the same stereotype when I got on the job that you describe muggsy09. I was just eye candy to the majority of the Dean College staff. At times it was borderline threatening. To this day I am still shaken up by the time that one FTO attempted to give me the hucklebuck right in front of another officer!! Disgusting. Although we all start out unaware of some laws and regulations within the law enforcement field that really shouldn't give others a right to eyerape us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In regards to the student that was stabbed I don't know how you can be an innocent bystander when you went down to fight in the firstplace, just because he was not the intended target does not make him goldilocks carrying a basket of baby bunnies, a sweet Jack Russel terrier to give to his grandma for Easter. He was still an n up to no good going down to get involved in a fight and he got himself stabbed.

·
MassCops Member
75 Posts
I had the pleasure of being the Sergeant on that night. First thing great job by my guys to control that mess best we could huuuuuuuuuuum 3 vs. 300 odds not in our favor. But we used our heads and some uncooperative student’s heads till the cavalry Franklin PD arrived. Also great job by dispatch to make the proper calls when he wasn’t able to get a hold of us but understood the situation was hot. Franklin PD was great also with the help. Now as far as all this other Bullshit that’s what it is. College administration way of thinking is it won’t or can’t happen at our school. Well when you let every Shitbag from the east coast into your school it can happen. I think most of my guys are good officers some are great and could work anywhere. It’s not the boys and girls in uniform that are the problem at the private College level it’s the ASS CLOWNS with the PHD’S in everything but common sense and the real world running theses places. This incident was only the beginning in a couple days they will all return from break to stay tuned for the next episode.

G

·
lousy pay, dangerous conditions, no support at all, what a swell place to work. You know your working in a hell hole when most of the students have higher BOPs then SATs. Do you think they will lose sleep if one of us gets hurt or worse?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
kraut_guns";p="60228 said:
lousy pay, dangerous conditions, no support at all, what a swell place to work. You know your working in a hell hole when most of the students have higher BOPs then SATs. Do you think they will lose sleep if one of us gets hurt or worse?
Sounds like typical Municipal Law Enforcement also...

·
Registered
252 Posts
kraut_guns";p="60228 said:
Well said! Its a good thing we all stick together on the Mids.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,714 Posts
Makes me want to :uc:

Last year=armed robbery on campus w/live media coverage
this year=Stabbing involving students in proximity to campus
:-k
Two (2) serious violent felonies, and the Dean Campus Police still don't have guns? I think they need new Trustees and President.
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I think the Dean College administration is more the type that would focus blame for serious crime on certain college staff, or the Public Safety Department in general, waaaay before they acknowledged that they need to better protect thier police officers.

If the levels of serious crime escalate there, I firmly believe what we will see is the college shuffling around its public safety leadership and placing the blame on them for allowing the crime to happen.

This of course will occur after several 'meetings" and "workshops" among the ill-informed Deans of the college as to how crime could possibly occur on their campus and how they can better keep it a secret.
They will NEVER be armed. :x

I can say the exact same thing for Hampshire College in Amherst. Its not the cops fault, or even the campus police chiefs. The police chiefs, for the most part just want to go home EMPLOYED at the end of the day, so they will do what they have to do.

PS- Myself and Pickles held a workshop about this topic down at the Hawthorne Suites the other day over a XXL Breakfast but we had to leave becuase I was making him uncomfortable :wink:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I couldn't have said it better myself, and as time ticks on and the weather gets better these type of incidents will happen again, as usual we are under staffed as well, 2 FT guys just went PT, and the 3-11 Sgt. just quit. So the line up for this Sunday when all the students are returning from the Easter weekend is the "A-team" of 1 guy who wants to be a security guard and nothing more, a young kid who is still wet behind the ears and thinks he gonna save the world and knows everything there is to know about LE , and a computer wizard that doesn't know enough to respond with the FD for a fire alarm or backup the other road officer on a call. Great!! We are going to hell in a handbag. But lets continue to bust the 11-7 guys balls because they chew tobacco, little do they know without us there would be no one willing to pick up extra shifts, no one to come in at the drop of a hat no questions asked. No one able to make the right decisions when major incidents happen. I hate to say it but I'm afraid it is only a matter of time before one of us gets hurt, the Chief's big speech this year was he wants us to "look outside the box" attempt to improve the department, OK Chief you "look outside the box" and stop thinking "it will never happen here" and give us the tools we need to do our jobs properly. :up: :BM: :sb:

P-S: Mike, for crying out loud you were told to stay out of the Hawthorne Suites and I hope your not "stealing" beer and calling parents at MGH. God forbid we tell parents what their kids are up to. :L:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.