Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a repudiation of a major element in the Bloomberg administration's crime-fighting legacy, a federal judge has found that the stop-and-frisk tactics of the New York Police Department violated the constitutional rights of minorities in New York, and called for a federal monitor to oversee broad reforms.
In a decision issued on Monday, the judge, Shira A. Scheindlin, ruled that police officers have for years been systematically stopping innocent people in the street without any objective reason to suspect them of wrongdoing. Officers often frisked these people, usually young minority men, for weapons or searched their pockets for contraband, like drugs, before letting them go, according to the 195-page decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/n...ractice-violated-rights-judge-rules.html?_r=0

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Be interesting to see what the courts eventually rule on using portable backscatter technology to "see" through clothing for weapons.
To catch licensed citizens carrying in restricted areas, or with an expired license, or evil high-cap mags: Legal

When used to discover black gangbangers with a violent criminal history: Rights violation

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
When used to discover black gangbangers with a violent criminal history: Rights violation
I liked Donny Deutcsh's take on it on the Today show the other day. He compared it to target marketing, aiming the police department's resources toward the groups most likely to be breaking the law. Makes perfect sense to me, but then again I'm not a liberal.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,823 Posts
Regardless of your opinion on the subject, I give it about a year before LAW ABIDING people start whining about the increase of serious crime in the city.

Its the way we are.
FIFY

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Good.

·
Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com
2,963 Posts
On a side note @ 1:47-Abdul Yaya said "they shouldn't like stop a guy with a kid, but a guy (motions hand over face to symbolize a mask) yea, search him...are those his same attitudes at the airport?

Oh, and as much as it sucks, NYPD should take out an ad in the Post, Times, and Journal that reads simply:
Hand Smile Facial expression Human Mammal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.