Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at the Quabbin today and had occasion to see the Boston Glob (no, not a typo). I read an article concerning a motor vehicle versus pedestrians collision, both adults and children. I was horrified to learn that a lad of 5 years had lost a leg as a result. Further, according to his father, he has a '50-50' chance of loosing the other.

The article mentioned that the operator of the offending vehicle was 'handicapped', but did not mention the nature of the deficiency. I just spoke with another cop who said that the guy had a wooden leg and thought his foot was 'on the brake'.

The closest I have ever come to being killed on this job was at the hands of a 'handicapped' operator (he had exacerbated his condition by ingesting mass-quantities of alcohol).

I believe it is time to question the appropriateness of 'handicapped' citizens to safely operate motor vehicles. Not only them, but the aged as well. I'm not talking about people in their 60's and 70's. I have had an inordinate amount of of crashes this year involving people in their 80's causing collisions which have resulted in death and dismemberment.

For those of you amongst the 'politically correct', please substitute 'handi-capable' for 'handicapped'. 'Handi-cappable' of irreparably altering a bunch of primary school kids' lives! This should be a 'wake-up-call' for the commonwealth...but as usual, it's highly likely that nothing will be done, owing of course to 'political correctness'. :x

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Didn't I see a movie a loooong time ago, where they took the old, aged, infirm and criminals and turned them into a SPAM-like substance? Didn't Charlton Heston go around yelling "......it's made of people, SOILENT GREEN is made of people."

I don't like it one bit that a child will lose a leg, not one bit at all. I think that ALL drivers should be tested periodically by RMV personnel in some sort of a road test / vision test. I have seen plenty of "soccer moms" do some stupid car tricks as well. It's not just limited to the old folks.

Aren't some of these "handicapped" people veterans of WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf1 & Gulf2? Guy around the corner from me lost both legs below the knee at Iwo Jima & he drives safe & sane like me. He tools around town just fine. I'd hate to be the one to say "Hey Frank, give up the license kid, go hit the showers".

I know it's a "privelage" to posess a license here in Mass, not a "right". But Goddammit, this guy around the corner from me went to war at age 19, halfway around the globe and lost 2 legs on a volcanic piece of ash so that we wouldn't be goose-stepping in NYC or praying to the Emporer in San Fransisco.

Again, I am sorry that the child will lose possibly 2 legs, but think of the amount of people maimed / killed by elderly drivers as opposed to drunk drivers. Give those statistics a whirl and you will see who is a bigger danger to society as a whole. OK stepping off my soap box now.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housingcop, I did not mean to imply that we should just start pulling tickets based on age or disability...you are right to suggest testing, but again, in todays 'politically correct' world, I doubt we'll see it in our life times...but then, I thought the same about the end of communism (in Russia, if not the American campus :D !)...

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Ha! good luck...the ACLU would be on this one faster than...well I can't up faster than what...but man that would never fly. Then you would have all the ADA regs, and AARP...
I don't disagree but man it would never happen...Then there would be the administrative side of the costs and such, what is a "handicap" which handicaps/restrictions qualify...bla bla bla.

The way I look at it, if you are on the road, you take full responsibility for your actions, no special treatment for "medication", handicap, or age.

I run the COA for our town and there are some very good programs for seniors on driver refresher courses...we run one a year and it is well attended...maybe something like that.
Housingcop, I did not mean to imply that we should just start pulling tickets based on age or disability...you are right to suggest testing, but again, in todays 'politically correct' world, I doubt we'll see it in our life times...but then, I thought the same about the end of communism (in Russia, if not the American campus :D !)...

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
I know we'll never see it in our lifetime. Not to mention the fact that the first state Representative or Senator who puts a bill forth would be bombarded with nastygrams from the pink & blue haired cue-tip squad. These are the people who vote and making them mad is a bad career choice.
It's a sure ticket for them to the Dreaded Private Sector and none of them want to go down that road.
Reason why Communism is gone is that RR outspent, outshined and bullied them into submission. Sorry to see that old gent gone. One of the best.......

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right, SOT, and I think the phrase you are looking for is "faster than a fresh f**ked fox in a forest fire"...

A sticky problem. Which leads me to ask the question: if deaf citizens are allowed to drive, why do we have a law forbidding the hearing folks from wearing head phones. It has been my experience that the deaf do not pay any more attention to their driving than the hearing do!

As I said, it is doubtful that anyone will examine this in-depth...except to blame the 'police' for their lack of 'enforcement'...

Posted Sat 02 Oct, 2004:

Too right, HC. RR did it, and all I hear from his detractors is that he 'raised the deficit'...no real american will ever win the Nobel prize...only the fakes...Jimmy Carter comes to mind, followed by Coffee Anus, er.. Kofi Annan...

·
Registered
968 Posts
My family is friends with the kids grandfather and it is not looking good for the boy's other leg and they think the girl will be blind in one eye for life. My heart goes out to them.

G

·
This brings up a theory that an officer I know follows. He write old people for infractions so there is a paper trail. This makes an immedate threat to stick better. Some thing to think about when you see a little blue haired woman doing 35 in a 55 crossing the yellow lines.

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
I had an87 yold driving a big arse Chevy Suburban erractically about a month ago. I stopped him twice in two days for driving over the center line, over the fog line, stopping in the middle of the road, etc. Up here we can file with the DMV (RMV) to have a driver re-exam. Of course, a little more background, this guy caused two previous accidents within the two months prior and driver re-exams were sent in then. Nothing happened. then one of the DMV CMV guys caught him after my two driving episodes. FINALLY DMV sent his notice to suspend out until he can take and re-pass the drivers test. Not an hour after being served, he was driving and broadsided a vehicle and a DMV CMV officer investigated.

NOW you can't tell my DMV wont be looking at some sort of civil action!?! People are so worried about stepping on someone's civil rights that they forget about PUBLIC SAFETY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.