Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea bout the Sterling Fitness test? Am I safe to assume that it is just the PAT?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Negative Bap,

Last I knew they use cooper standards before you have the oral board. They have everyone go to the high school take the fitness test then schedule interviews for those who pass. You should be able to do a google search for the requirment on cooper standards, believe me when I say Cooper Standards are no joke, when compared to the PAT. Good Luck

I believe Cooper Standards are the following:

Body Fat %
Indiana Agility Test
Situps per minute
1 1/2 Mile run, I belive if you are a male 20-30 you should be running around 12:40 to pass.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well it might not be a school but my buddy went through the process there and he said he was in a gym and then drove down the street to a track for the run, I was assuming it was a school of some sort, but Im not sure on the building he went to.
He also said the Chief was there watching the applicants, guess he was pretty squared away, used to be a captain in RI somewhere.

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
Yeah I figured something like that... I was just being a wise-ass because the high school for Sterling is Wachusett Regional in Holden.

Shhhhhhhh... the chief maybe watching this thread right now :shock: ... he's chief801 on this board...

He likes to kick the bees nest frequently... careful... :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
The PT test is alot harder than that joke called a PAT. All applicants meet at the Chocksett middle school gym for the bench press, sit-ups, agility run, and sit and reach. Then the test ends outside at the school track with a 1.5 mile run. Your times and reps are based on your age and body weight. The test is always done rain or shine. Like 7mpoc stated, if you pass you go on to the next and final process which is the oral board. From what I was told the Chief wants to put on one full-timer and a few part-timers, then send one of the part-timers to the academy after September. Sterling lost two officers to the state and may lose a third to Worcester in September. It's a 11 man department that could go down to 8 come September (that's including the chief) :shock: . Make sure your squared away and Good Luck. Any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Correction Chief801 is retired Sterling Police Chief, hell of a guy may I add. (almost was my neighbor)

New Sterling Police Chief came from Woonsocket RI, that makes 4 or 5 retired Woonsocket PO's to become Chief's in the great Commonwealth (I mean Massachusetts for those I lost) :roll: new Chief also great guy knew him all my life. Has a good crew of PO's in town, beware of small town politics, let the brass battle (they like to)

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I though PDs in MA were only able to use the HRD PAT standards for hiring, I was under the impression that a P.D could not give or make thier PAT standards.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
DB82 is correct, I USED to be in Sterling...I left for another job back in 2003.

Macop is also "technically" correct. HRD PAT standards can only be used to deny employment, however, the PT test they run can be used as an "evaluation" of cadidates and that "evaluation" can be used to determine a rank order for proceeding in the process. If no candidates "passed", they could not be denied employment based on that alone. This is similar to ranking candidates higher based on education, training, etc. Someone may meet minimum standards (i.e. PAT and GED), but may be ranked lower than someone with a B.S. and higher scores on the PT test. The "trick" is to establish a set number of people, prior to the test, who will proceed and hope that at least that number "passes" the test. You are considering the "best" candidates based on performance, not denying someone who didn't "pass".

If the set number to proceed is 3 and only 2 pass the Cooper Standards, the third person to be included would be the one who "failed" Cooper with the highest marks. It was always questionable, but when I was there I was willing to make the argument in court if anyone filed suit against us. Fortunately, it never came to that.

Additionally, all of their officers are paid a stipend every year if they maintain their level of fitness and pass a yearly P.T. test. Great department, tough town politics.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Chief801 you are missed everyday. They don't make them like you anymore. Semper Fi to you.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
If that's you B.B., thanks...and keep up the good work. I'd go through any door with you as my wing man...PM me to let me know how the guys at SP Academy are doing.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The word I was told is that Sterling already has a person inside they want to put on for the full-time position. They are just going through the motions, but part-timers will be needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.