Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who work nightshift, the ever daunting task of balance between family, physical activity, emotional well-being, and nightshift, is never ending. I stumbled upon a few important points on how to adjust better. Just thought I would pass them along:

--Interest, opportunity or sense of danger: Seeing a potential suspect, interacting with people in crisis, or confronting a hazardous situation is naturally arousing and helps heighten your state of alertness.

--Muscular activity: Sitting in a radio car hour upon hour can diminish alertness, just as walking around a warehouse or park for a security check can help keep you alert.

--Time of day on circadian clock: Like everyone else, we tend to be least alert from midnight to dawn, and again right after lunch, while reaching peak alertness in the morning and early evening.

--Sleep bank balance: If you've acquired a substantial sleep debt during the previous several days because of overtime, off-duty court appearances and staying up to play with your kids after shift, you'll be less alert than if you're properly rested.

--Ingested nutrients and chemicals: The coffee and doughnuts you eat at 2 A.M. help wake you up with a combined surge of caffeine and sugar—but within an hour you experience a "crash" and have difficulty staying awake, as your system's overreaction to them suddenly leaves you with low blood sugar.

--Environmental light: Cruising the darkened streets, you're fighting sleep in the quiet predawn hours, but sunrise fills you with new energy.

--Temperature: As you start to feel drowsy in the autumn, you roll down a window and let the cool, dry air blow on your face to help you stay awake. Nine months later, the heat and humidity of a summer night make you even drowsier.

--Sound: The even hum of tires on the road drones like a lullaby as the shift stretches on, but listening to radio chatter or a partner yak away help stimulate alertness.

It's easy to see how managers and supervisors, as well as officers themselves could use knowledge of these "switches" to try to enhance alertness and stave off the negative effects of fatigue and nighttime drowsiness on the job—and on the way home from a long nightshift.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great tips - and there is nothing worse than going 12-8, straight into 8-4 day shift. I love making the money, but I hate losing the sleep.

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
I hate mids....especially now that I have two little ones that don't undertstand that Daddy sleeps when they are awake and vice versa. Looks like I might be on mids for another 6-8 years (sounds like a prison sentence). Well stay awake and stay safe.

PS: I still love this job!

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
I still love mids but just completed a month long stint on days and I have to say it was easy getting use to it. But not to spoil me I start 4-12 tonight. I was told not to get used it because I will be on mids again soon.

Take care and remember 10 minutes on the side of the road is better than crashing into a pole. Be safe out there. ;)

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
I'm a vampire anyway...
I have been begging for midnights for years because it suits my personal schedule much better. I finally went to mids last month and I have to say it's not always as great as I would like it to be, but I can't complain. The night differential pay is not a bad thing and WOW, all the stuff I can get accomplished during the week now is amazing!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I pulled my double last night, 3-11/11-7. I noticed I was playing the weaving game toward the end. Driving home on 128 was fun too.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
Ya Okay Dunngie,

Let's see how long you stay awake in your class on Saturday (Hee Hee) NIL for a White Mustang please.......

Midnites is for young single people who don't know any better

I love working mids and having the Harley-**** drive by FRAPPING their exhausts all day long. And the kids come home on a 1/2 day and run screaming through the house, and the dog scratching at the door, and the neighbor revving his 68 camaro, and I forgot to mute the phone ringer, and ARRRRRRGGGHHH !!!!!!!!! Yeah........
It's worth the night differential (NOT!)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yo Joe... He's got a right to say that-he had a brand new '82 Harley Sturgis, (remember those???), and I'll let you form your own opinion on the rest. Look out Scott-the Bus is backing up!!!!!!! ;)Oh yeah-to stay on topic-you've gotta make adjustments to stay on Mids. The only thing I didn't like was that I was tired all the time and always felt like S*&$#. I worked 3 years on mids and never had two nights off in a row....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I worked midnights for amost 20 years and have recently been bumped off them. Now I work days. I hate it, I can't wait to get back on Mid's

Mikefo

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Originally posted by mpd61:
Ya Okay Dunngie,

Let's see how long you stay awake in your class on Saturday (Hee Hee) NIL for a White Mustang please.......

Hey, works out perfect for me; as soon as I get off work I head straight over to Brockton, making it in time for class and even getting to stop at Dunkies on the way so I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed! It's just like working a double to me. Speaking of the Mustang, I know you wouldn't mind watching it for me while I'm in class... I don't like people touching me things!

Midnites is for young single people who don't know any better

BAH HA HA HA HA HA! C'mon, Scotty, stop being such a grump and take a shot of Geritol!
The only avaiable shift for me to work OT before I went to mids was 2400-0800. That was really tough because my previous shift was from 1200-2000. I never got any sleep then, but I was still able to maintain a 4.0 GPA! And believe me, I'm at the point of my life where 27 feels like 72... but I don't think that has anything to do with the shift, I think it's just because I don't find the "young single" life as much fun as I used to.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Originally posted by mikefo:
I worked midnights for amost 20 years and have recently been bumped off them. Now I work days. I hate it, I can't wait to get back on Mid's

Mikefo
20 years seniority and you got bumped :eek: sorry to hear.

·
Subscribing Member
4,377 Posts
Nights are ok , as long as you get at least four hours sleep on the shift. LEt's see:

2300-2315 Roll Call :rolleyes:
2315-0100 Patrol/Radar

0100-0500 ?

0500-0530 Dunkin Donuts

0530-0630 Radar :cool:
0630-0700 See what details are available for today

I'm on days now and I love it. It's a normal life. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is that why there were so many home breaks in the dean college vicinity last summer.....

You related to Atty. Tom McGovern???

G

·
Well I'll tell you....

I'm on reading your suggestions at 4:00 am here at Otis Air Force Base where I'm a Security Police Officer. I work 12 hour shifts 3 Days on
3 Days off and let me tell you... IT SUCKS!!!

By the way I'm on break right now so don't think I'm slacking!

I think its great that I only work three days and then I get three days off but the problem is on my three days off my sleep schedule is all messed up. I'll attempt to go to bed with my wife and I'll be wide awake. Then in the morning she'll want to go to the beach and I'll be knocked out before she finishes asking me to go.

I find it very difficult to maintain a regular schedule...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should deal with this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is no way to deal w/ it. When u work zombie shifts your body has a hard time adjusting. I feel for u cause I'm in the same boat. I work 2300-0700 shifts and when I get home I sleep til 1200. People say why don't u sleep at work. I work in a tuft section of Boston and I don't feel comfortable dozing off with a gun at my side. I don't know the stats, but I'm pretty sure the majority of P.O. killed in the line of duty are by their own firearms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts