Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to who has worked as a CPO for both a private and state college. We all know about the pay. How did the admin differ in regards to taking action against the students and in supporting the officers of the department. I've often heard that working for a state college you are "allowed" to do more police work w/out the admin questioning your actions. Is this true?

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
I've worked at MIT and BSC. At MIT it was more hand slapping and counseling than making arrests of students. Can't argue with that, it's what the administration wants. Plus they pay great $$$ for that policy. At BSC it is the exact opposite; very pro arrest. But the pay is much less. Bottom line I suppose is what the individual officer is looking for: great pay or more of a law enforcement environment.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
I work full time at a state school and part time at a private school. the state school I work at leaves it up to the PO whether to arrest,summons or let the school handle in admin wise. Private school gives the kids a lot more leeway in my opinion. Part of it is a money thing. its 30k a piece at private and 5k a year at pubic. I think alot of it depends on the admin of the school and the head of the Campus Police Dept. If the Admin of the school doesnt get any resistance when they interfere in a criminal matter they will keep doing it, and erode the Campus Police Depts independence in handling criminal matters.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As long as you act within the law, you can't get fired for doing your job. I work for a private school and they try to be leniant but if there is a law broken you use discretion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious as to who has worked as a CPO for both a private and state college. We all know about the pay. How did the admin differ in regards to taking action against the students and in supporting the officers of the department. I've often heard that working for a state college you are "allowed" to do more police work w/out the admin questioning your actions. Is this true?
Not the State College I worked for that's for sure :roll: But the private college where I work now is much much more pro police work.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Remember guys to keep this to the Pro's and Con's of this subject. We have already had numerous pi$$ing matches about this before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are both great private agencies, and great state agencies out there. There is no clear cut winner between both. Some state agencies pay fairly well. Some private agencies pay fairly well. Some do a lot of police work. Some do none. You just have to find that combination of the two, if that is what you are interested in. For instance, Bridgewater probably does more policework than most, but they don't pay all that well. Brandeis does 0 police work, and gets paid very well. The ones that have both great pay, and a large amount of police work are usually very hard to get into, such as MIT, Harvard, BC, BU, and Umass-Amherst.

"Just remember, if you don't work at MassArt, you are a better person for it."

·
Registered
154 Posts
For instance, Bridgewater probably does more policework than most, but they don't pay all that well. Brandeis does 0 police work, and gets paid very well.
Nice dig. I'd say we do the same amount of "Police work" as and other small to middle sized school. Not sure if you are one of the disgruntled few but the new union president has been fighting for alot and has gained alot over here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am sure that your union is doing wonders for you there. I hope they are. They must have done something right to get your department your pay wages. I am not ripping your department. Trust me, I have been "there" and then some. I don't exactly do a lot of police work now, and I am fine with that. I am not out to change the world. I am just attempting to educate those who seek knowledge in this field. Everyone has there own preferrences.

"I just prefer not to be at MassArt!!!"

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't really think it has anything to do with state vs. private when it comes down to "being allowed" to do more police work without the admin questioning your actions. It all has to do with the college's admin itself. I dont think "state" college admins are more or less apt to question things than a private college. Someone brought up a good point before about the fact that it costs a lot more to attend private schools than state, so Im sure that has some bearing on it at some places. I know one selling point about where I work is that we never get questioned by the admin if we make an arrest. By the way we are hiring here at FSC, if youd like to apply let me know, we have 2 openings on the midnight shift!

Or you could always ask the 2 cops you see everynight at shift change that used to work at a private college !!! :roll:

:spank: :alcoholi:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Me too, Mitpo62. I worked there for seven years. Our job was not to police the rudents, it was to keep the scumbags from interfering! When working the 'party' details on campus, it was usually some Northeastern CJ kid that got 'out-of-hand': "Hey, citizen, you have to calm down"..."Eff-U, campus-clown, I'm a CJ student and you can't..."..."crack"..."plop"..."thats trooper(ret.), citizen"..."Route 6 to control, send the wag..." :twisted:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
it was usually some Northeastern CJ kid that got 'out-of-hand': "Hey, citizen, you have to calm down"..."Eff-U, campus-clown, I'm a CJ student and you can't..."..."crack"..."plop"..."thats trooper(ret.), citizen"..."Route 6 to control, send the wag..." :twisted:
Excellent! :L: =D> :L: =D> :L: =D> :L: =D>

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
This original question is somewhat ambiguous. I work at a low-paying state gig, but have plenty of autonomy to perform full scope of police work. The only way I'm leaving is for better retirement (municipal) or back to a better paying federal position so as not to screw up my social security.
:L:
Private CPO's that make good $$$ at first is appealing, but there are a couple of silly reasons why I wouldn't jump.
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
I worked for both, one private college with excellent benefits and money and for a state college .I stayed with state as the job was fun, great experience,fun and all my time transfered to municipal(six years)!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll post an opinion here based on my limited experience as an Aux at BCPD back in the 1980s, and many discussions with a good friend that is a full-time ranking officer there. [Some of this I just posted to the "Benefits of Suffolk County Sheriffs Powers" thread.]

Private schools rely on a greater or lesser amount of big donations from parents of students to fatten their endowments (often times it is the children of big donors that are chosen for admission :) ). Thus, the admin is very aware that if they allow their CPO to bust all these darling children for every infraction, they are going to piss off the "golden cow" who gives them all that money. So, there is a fair amount of baby-sitting involved at some of these rich private schools.

Public schools rely mostly on taxpayer money and thus aren't as conscious/concerned about parents getting pissed off because their kids got busted for doing some "minor crime".

It's just a matter of simple economics! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.