Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
For you guys recommending construction jobs.

Have any of you actually worked in the trades? I'm not talking here and there, but as your full time occupation. I seriously doubt you would be telling members on here to choose the trades over Law Enforcement if you had.

Not everyone gets in the union, and even if you do, they get laid off pretty frequently. Think about 2009-2013 when the economy tanked.
trades don’t just mean a construction laborer. Become an electrician , work your way up to getting into the utility companies ( natgrid, eversource etc). Hvac for a state university. plumbing in business for yourself. you talk lay offs,... rather Collect unemployment than hire a lawyer to defend my actions in A justifiable use of force incident.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For you guys recommending construction jobs.

Have any of you actually worked in the trades? I'm not talking here and there, but as your full time occupation. I seriously doubt you would be telling members on here to choose the trades over Law Enforcement if you had.

Not everyone gets in the union, and even if you do, they get laid off pretty frequently. Think about 2009-2013 when the economy tanked.
+1. My Dad spent his career in the trades. He encouraged me to get a job with the city/state/T etc

·
Registered
336 Posts
I’m even looking to leave my department and go Federal. Can’t even count how many positions I’ve applied for recently at the G-7 and G-9 scale.
Does BPD still have guys on task forces (ATF/HIDTA/JTTF etc)? That almost seems like the best of both worlds. Keep your job with BPD, but do investigations on fed cases full time

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does BPD still have guys on task forces (ATF/HIDTA/JTTF etc)? That almost seems like the best of both worlds. Keep your job with BPD, but do investigations on fed cases full time
We work closely with them, but they don’t have 1811 status obviously. I would like an actual 1811 posting with one of the IG’s, USSS is hiring quite a lot, but they can put you anywhere, the IG’s tend to work with you on where you live.

We had a girl who left not too long ago to join ATF actually. She just finished up FLETC down in Georgia.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The main word on who got hired is "she". Be prepared to have absolutely no rhyme of reason and lots of travel expenses all over the north east if you do try getting hired by the feds.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The main word on who got hired is "she". Be prepared to have absolutely no rhyme of reason and lots of travel expenses all over the north east if you do try getting hired by the feds.
The IG’s operate differently than the more run of the mill agencies like ATF, FBI, DEA. I know plenty of 1811’s with all different IG’s that have barely ever moved their entire career. It’s just a different world compared to the rest of the 1811 positions out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not buying it. If you meant what you said then you would have already quit (assuming you're on the job), and pursued a construction job, but I am assuming you haven't since you are posting on a cop forum.

As someone who once, may have worked in the trades, I can say without a doubt, I would not ever want to go back.

Could you also provide us with some evidence of Massachusetts Law Enforcement Officers that have used reasonable force, recently, and were required to fund their own defense attorney?

·
Registered
59 Posts
trades don’t just mean a construction laborer. Become an electrician , work your way up to getting into the utility companies ( natgrid, eversource etc). Hvac for a state university. plumbing in business for yourself. you talk lay offs,... rather Collect unemployment than hire a lawyer to defend my actions in A justifiable use of force incident.
I'm not buying it. If you meant what you said then you would have already quit (assuming you're on the job), and pursued a construction job, but I am assuming you haven't since you are posting on a cop forum.

As someone who once, may have worked in the trades, I can say without a doubt, I would not ever want to go back.

Could you also provide us with some evidence of Massachusetts Law Enforcement Officers that have used reasonable force, recently, and were required to fund their own defense attorney?

·
Registered
18 Posts
VA is always hiring, you can negotiate your salary and starting is around 58-64k. Not including 10k extra for night shift. It’s a start and foot in the door for a federal gig.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
145 Posts
The IG’s operate differently than the more run of the mill agencies like ATF, FBI, DEA. I know plenty of 1811’s with all different IG’s that have barely ever moved their entire career. It’s just a different world compared to the rest of the 1811 positions out there.
call me some dopey hick cop, but what’s an IG?

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
145 Posts
Inspector General. Didn’t even know what they were until DPH1992 mentioned them.
In that case, The CIA OIG is hiring for a handy $86,335 a year to investigate waste by the CIA... Talk about not hard to find.

·
Registered
62 Posts

You took what I said too personal. was simply Pointing out the possibility’s of getting into the trades and that it’s not all construction work. Relax.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dude, just drop it,

call me some dopey hick cop, but what’s an IG?
OIG, every federal department has an OIG to investigate fraud/internal crime. Very difficult to break into them though. Generally they only take laterals and you need to be lateraling from another 1811 position.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, essentially an agency rat squad. Tough to get on from outside the feds. Great job of you do not want to do much real police work.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, essentially an agency rat squad. Tough to get on from outside the feds. Great job of you do not want to do much real police work.
They do plenty, there’s no shame in rooting out fraud and internal crime. Crime is crime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone actually speak to what it is like organizationally between MSP and some of the larger city departments? Where are the politics worse? Where is it easier to move up and get special assignments? Who has better people / organizational culture overall?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Can anyone actually speak to what it is like organizationally between MSP and some of the larger city departments? Where are the politics worse? Where is it easier to move up and get special assignments? Who has better people / organizational culture overall?
I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Both are very political in the sense of who you know can certainly help, let’s not be naive.

MSP is much more “military minded”. You’ll be saluting officers at the academy and it even carries over into your career. With city and towns you won’t do that nearly as much and the vibe of city departments is much less military like.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts