Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , been following masscops for a while now so I’ll try to post this without asking answered questions. Quick background I live in a major city in Mass (Springfield, Worcester, Boston). Im 25 and I dispatch full time for one of these cities. I also work part time as a reserve officer in a town near by. I ranked topped 30 civil service for my city. This post is to get more info on state police and how it compares to being on a larger city department. I’ve talked to a lot of officers in my city but I don’t know many troopers to pick their brain.
my city has a lot of different divisions and move up potential as well as endless detail opportunities. I am getting ahead of myself and I will happily take whatever’s offered to me. This post is just for my curiosity so that I can pursue what’s best for me and my family. All information is welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
With MSP your nearest back up could be 10 miles or more away at any one time (out west), pay is better than most city departments (with the exception of Boston in my opinion, even though I’m biased). Your first 4-5 years you’re almost guaranteed to be stuck on highway duty with no weekends and holidays off, although the same could be said for no weekends and holidays for city too.

If you’re looking for more action and more variety it’s a no brainer the city will offer that. MSP along with BPD and other city departments have a ton of specialized units, but the exception with MSP is they have more unilateral power to “push” muni departments to the side if they want to. Even here in Boston the MSP is starting to involve themselves more than ever with our gang units in Dorchester and Roxbury. 5-10 years ago MSP having anything to do with BPD gang units was kind of unheard of. Agency cooperation is never a bad thing though..

Keep in mind the academy too. With a city academy you’ll be going home at the end of the day, MSP you’re out in New Braintree Mon-Fri for six months getting paid very little.

It really just comes down to what you’re looking for. MSP has the variety in terms of specialized units but it takes awhile to get up to that and if you’re not comfortable running traffic for the first 5 years or so at least then I’d say go city.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for thank you. Yeah I have a baby at home so states academy would be very difficult to say the least. The unilateral power is an interesting point . Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know the recruit pay for the 6 months at state police academy? I’ve heard around $800 something bi-weekly. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I believe they changed their academy pay rate to whatever their Step I pay is rather than that reduced $800 amount. I think this happen a couple academies ago. I could be wrong but I remember hearing something vaguely about it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
With MSP your nearest back up could be 10 miles or more away at any one time (out west), pay is better than most city departments (with the exception of Boston in my opinion, even though I’m biased). Your first 4-5 years you’re almost guaranteed to be stuck on highway duty with no weekends and holidays off, although the same could be said for no weekends and holidays for city too.

If you’re looking for more action and more variety it’s a no brainer the city will offer that. MSP along with BPD and other city departments have a ton of specialized units, but the exception with MSP is they have more unilateral power to “push” muni departments to the side if they want to. Even here in Boston the MSP is starting to involve themselves more than ever with our gang units in Dorchester and Roxbury. 5-10 years ago MSP having anything to do with BPD gang units was kind of unheard of. Agency cooperation is never a bad thing though..

Keep in mind the academy too. With a city academy you’ll be going home at the end of the day, MSP you’re out in New Braintree Mon-Fri for six months getting paid very little.

It really just comes down to what you’re looking for. MSP has the variety in terms of specialized units but it takes awhile to get up to that and if you’re not comfortable running traffic for the first 5 years or so at least then I’d say go city.
The mandatory stay is an issue in the Trial Court Officer academy as well for recruits who have small children. The academy is only 8 weeks but they after the first two weeks of mandatory they make it difficult for you not stay the whole 8 weeks due to getting your hole ready by 6 am even in you live in the local commuting area of the academy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m in the trades and trying to leave for law enforcement. When I asked about State pay during academy it was so I can get an idea for how much debt to pay off and to save so I can pay bills during the academy and have a reserve while making less $.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Honestly as much as I still like the job sometimes and I admit I don't love it anymore and want to go, my advice is this..
Do it right stay in the trades and go get on the fire!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Honestly as much as I still like the job sometimes and I admit I don't love it anymore and want to go, my advice is this..
Do it right stay in the trades and go get on the fire!
I’m even looking to leave my department and go Federal. Can’t even count how many positions I’ve applied for recently at the G-7 and G-9 scale.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m in the trades and trying to leave for law enforcement. When I asked about State pay during academy it was so I can get an idea for how much debt to pay off and to save so I can pay bills during the academy and have a reserve while making less $.
I think it around 1k a week

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
140 Posts
I’m more interested in the IG’s. Tough to break into though.
Try USSS, dm me if you want to hear a funny story about the USSS. Ive heard theyre looking for investigators like crazy. They have an opening up on USAJobs right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For you guys recommending construction jobs.

Have any of you actually worked in the trades? I'm not talking here and there, but as your full time occupation. I seriously doubt you would be telling members on here to choose the trades over Law Enforcement if you had.

Not everyone gets in the union, and even if you do, they get laid off pretty frequently. Think about 2009-2013 when the economy tanked.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts