Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Supporting Member
3,504 Posts
I just bought hundreds of rounds at Wal-Mart last week.

Yup, I picked up a Winchester value pack of 555 .22LR rounds for $12.88. Guess that implies I'm a danger to society, prepping for shootout.
Thats girly amounts, Every time I happen to leave the state I tend to come home 3-4 ammo boxes full of a nice variety pack of 22lr to 300 winmag. But I do have a small army to keep supplied.:shades_smile:

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
Yes, but he was clearly the aggressor in that case (I'm not so sure here), and the victim certainly didn't take the 5th at any point in the criminal proceedings.
That very well may be true. I don't know enough about this case to comment any further than to point out that the "dangerousness" aspect in situations such as these is laughable. Solely because they are police officers they are held pending a hearing and maybe longer. In very few instances is anyone else held in a domestic violence situation in which no injuries were suffered by the victim. If my neighbor was involved in a similar situation he prob would be released before the morning.

I understand the cya side of it but the fact that these guys carried weapons everyday for years without any other incidents should show that they are prob less "dangerous" than most people.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
Also very well may be true. I don't know because I wasn't there which is why I'm not going to comment on the particulars of the incident. I would prefer everyone else did the same.

What I was commenting on was the fact that it was ridiculous that he even had to go through the "dangerousness" charade. I'm sure it was a nightmare for the Quincy Sgt. to deal with and he had certain responsibilities under the law that had to be met. After that, the Trooper should have then been afforded the same rights (i.e. bail) as any other person in this situation would have.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
No law that says they CAN't but it is "STRONGLY DISCOURAGED" by both 209A and most department policies. The "preferred response," according to 209A is to arrest the dominant aggressor if there is probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed. Interestingly enough, that probable cause can be based solely on the description of events by the victim absent any corroborating evidence.

Not saying its right but it is the way the law was written.

G

·
There's no law that says BOTH can't be arrested is there?
I've done it twice in 23 years....the law requires a distinct written report (seperate from the arrest report) justifying the dual-arrest.

The sad reality is that you're always safe in taking the male into custody at a domestic when there is a question of who was the aggressor. I'm not saying that's the case here, just in general, and I'm certainly not saying it's right, just reality.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
100s of rounds..... That's it? I Sometimes buy Thousands of Rounds at a time. What does the amount of rounds have to do with anything? It only takes one to kill someone. Did the rag paper think that if Dunn was really going to shoot his GF that he would have shot her 100+ times?

As for Trooper Dunn and this case I am sure a-lot will come out later and I am sure there is quite a bit more to the story. Hopefully justice and the truth will prevail.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,339 Posts
It's a long slow journey back to normalcy.

·
Subscribing Member
824 Posts
"The alleged victim, a 28-year-old Transit Police officer, refused to testify at the hearing on the grounds that what she might say could be self-incriminating. Following the incident at Dunn's home Monday, the woman declined further medical treatment or to seek a restraining order against Dunn, police said"

This sucks for him, now his his career could be destroyed.
This could actually be good for him relatively speaking.

I know zilch about this incident but usually when an alleged DV victim refuses to cooperate the case goes south. I've seen it countless times as I'm sure many others have. I only knew of one DV case that went forward despite the victim's refusal to cooperate and that case subsequently went nowhere as well.

G

·
This could actually be good for him relatively speaking.

I know zilch about this incident but usually when an alleged DV victim refuses to cooperate the case goes south. I've seen it countless times as I'm sure many others have. I only knew of one DV case that went forward despite the victim's refusal to cooperate and that case subsequently went nowhere as well.
"Victims" not cooperating with the police is fairly common, but this is the first time in my career where I've seen the "victim" take the 5th. IMO, the charges should have been dismissed as soon as that happened.

G

·
I cannot fathom why they're putting up with what they're putting up with, or why she hasn't been charged for her shennanigans yet. WTF ??
For as much of a sham that QDC is about everything and anything else, they acquired a reputation under former First Justice Charles Black as being the leader in the state for prosecuting DV crimes. As a result, they feel the need to "be tough" and prosecute DV cases without the "victim's" cooperation.....none of which I've seen result in a guilty finding (there may be exceptions). Not to mention, there is probably a political side to this, where a dismissal might create the impression that the "suspect" being a police officer resulted in favorable treatment.

There is SO much more I want to say about this case, but can't for obvious reasons.

·
Duke of Campus Police
510 Posts
At least I hope Brian decides to NOT date chicks 21 years younger than him, who just might be a bit looney trying to look/fight like men. I would like to see him get cleared and his back pay in time for Christmas!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"Victims" not cooperating with the police is fairly common, but this is the first time in my career where I've seen the "victim" take the 5th. IMO, the charges should have been dismissed as soon as that happened.
Have seen it several times. The last time was Monday on a Prob Surrender I was there for. 7 hours for hanging around, thank you very much.

G

·
But - they need to be able to look at a situation - and recognize WHO the victim is... in this case it was NOT the chick. SHE was the aggressor.
My personal opinion (not representing my police department) is that I agree.

And political side? Oh most absolutely!!
My personal opinion (not representing my police department) is that I agree.

IIRC - this Sgt is the one who's profane, arrogant, ignorant and flat out abusive to us when we have to deal with him.
I'll agree that we have some people (not just sergeants or other supervisors) who can be profane and arrogant, but I'd be interested in a PM with some details if you don't mind, because I can't think of to whom you're referring.

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
Even if she takes the 5th, good luck getting around the confrontation clause issues--which the Supreme Court has been hammering since 2004. It's one of the few areas of crim pro where the SJC isn't stricter than SCOTUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
Sorry Bruce....I hope the bleeding is minimal.

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
Looking back this and wondering why Bruce was biting his tounge, I realized my post should have read like this...
Whether or not she takes the 5th, good luck to the prosecutor in getting around the confrontation clause issues--which the Supreme Court has been hammering since 2004. It's one of the few areas of crim pro where the SJC isn't stricter than SCOTUS.

Sorry. I hope Bruce's tounge is in one piece.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.