State Trooper Ellen Engelhardt dies nearly 8 years after being hit by drunken driver | MassCops

State Trooper Ellen Engelhardt dies nearly 8 years after being hit by drunken driver

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Jun 1, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

MIDDLEBORO

Former Marshfield resident and longtime State Police Trooper Ellen Engelhardt has died. She was 58.

Engelhardt sustained a severe brain injury in 2003 when a car driven by an 18-year-old Wayland man slammed into the back of her cruiser in the breakdown lane of Route 25 in Wareham. She was a state trooper for 22 years.

William P. Senne, an 18-year-old Boston College student who admitted he was drunk when he crashed his father's Volvo into the cruiser, pleaded guilty to drunken driving in 2005 and was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison.

Engelhardt lived at Middleboro Skilled Nursing Center, a facility specializing in head trauma patients.

Colonel Marian J. McGovern, superintendent of State Police, issued the following statement on Wednesday afternoon:

β€œIt is with profound sadness that we mourn the loss of Trooper Ellen Engelhardt, who was not just a valued colleague but also a dear friend who dedicated her career to protecting the citizens of our state. Since suffering the tragic injuries inflicted upon her in the line of duty by a drunk driver, Trooper Engelhardt has been an inspiration to every member of this Department for the courage, grace and dignity with which she lived. Trooper Engelhardt loved the Massachusetts State Police, and the job loved her back. Our thoughts are with her daughter Lora and the rest of her family and loved ones. We will remain mindful every day – as we continue to confront the dangers posed to our Troopers by impaired drivers – of the full measure of sacrifice that she made in service to the public.”

Read more: State Trooper Ellen Engelhardt dies nearly 8 years after being hit by drunken driver - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

2. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

Re: State Trooper Ellen Engelhardt dies nearly 8 years after being hit by drunken dri

Rest in Peace, your suffering here on earth is over, may God grant you eternal rest

3. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

RIP Trooper.

4. ShmitDiesel

ShmitDiesel Radio

Re: State Trooper Ellen Engelhardt dies nearly 8 years after being hit by drunken dri

RIP Trooper

5. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

RIP Trooper. It hard to believe it has been 8 years since it happened It seems like it was really not all that long ago.

6. GeepNutt

GeepNutt MassCops Member

RIP Trooper

7. DEI8

DEI8 Supporting Member

Rest in Peace

8. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

RIP Trooper

9. Such a tragedy that she was ever in that condition in the first place. 2 1/2 yrs in jail is no kind of justice. Rest in peace, Trooper.

10. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

RIP

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

RIP Trooper Engelhardt.

12. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

So sorry for what you and your family had to suffer through Trooper Engelhardt. You are in a better place up there now..RIP

13. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Prayers for the Engelhardt family and all of Trooper Engelhardt's friends. RIP

14. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Wow. I never gave up hope for her recovery, it does seem like it's only been a short time. Her suffering is now over...

15. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

RIP.

Ellen, her family, friends, and coworkers, have suffered for many years more than the asshole served for causing all this pain.

16. NorwichAlum

NorwichAlum MassCops Member

Rest In Peace Trooper. My condolences to the men and women of the MSP.

2.5 years....what a joke. When is this state going to get a clue?
    I guess Mr. Senne can add murderer to his bio now.....
    Point Plus Realty About Us

17. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

I remember years ago Ellen was working mids out of D-7 and would often show up in Plymouth. We always got on well, and it hurt to see what happened to her. I know she is better off now, but it still sucks.

18. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

RIP Sister Trooper.

19. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

RIP, the blue line just got thinner today.

20. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

2 1/2 years is a disgusting sentence.

MA should be ashamed that this was allowed for one of its Troopers.

21. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Hope they now charge him with vehicular manslaughter

22. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Although I had the feeling this day would come sooner than later, it still bites to my very core. Ellen was a friend and co-worker who was loved and admired by everyone who knew her.

I remember back in 1996 when we worked at D2 together. Ellen got a brand new cruiser and I got her "hand-me-down" Cru. 725. I found a small plastic medal of Jesus in there and secured it. Next time I saw Ellen I offered to return it to her and she refused saying "you keep it sarge, you're going to need it more than I am. You're the one who has to put up with all of us Troopers."

I also remember her calling the desk at D7 every night that she worked the mid shift at D2. She would ask if anyone needed coffee or anything as she had to pass the barracks on her way in. This was the kind of person Ellie was.

I'd like to re-post something a friend put up about Ellie.

So, Rest in Peace my friend. You fought very hard right to the end. I'm so sorry what happened to you, but I thank God that your suffering here on Earth is now over.

23. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

This is a sad and painful story. Trooper Englehardt may you rest in peace. You had to endure more than we can ever imagine over the last 8 years.

24. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Reckless Op. and OUI resulting in Motor Vehicle Homicide (c.90/s.24g) would be more appropriate...

Which should be punishable by dragging this P.O.S. from Ellen's Cr. 488 until he succumbs to T.R.R. (terminal road rash).

RIP Trooper.

25. SPINMASS

SPINMASS Subscribing Member

May you Rest In Peace Trooper, your suffering is over. It is a slap in the face of all Troopers that the POS that caused her suffering only got 2.5 years.