Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State police trooper disciplined

The Republican's publisher said he felt the incident could not go unchallenged because of what was at stake.

12/02/2003

SPRINGFIELD - A state trooper has been disciplined for following and stopping a news photographer who filmed his cruiser parked in a handicapped access area.

The state police superintendent, Col. Thomas J. Foley, also personally apologized to The Republican yesterday, capping a nine-week investigation. The paper filed a complaint with Massachusetts State Police after photographer David Molnar was stopped and his photo assignment form confiscated on Sept. 25 when he checked a reader complaint that a trooper was parked illegally at the state Registry of Motor Vehicles on Liberty Street.

Molnar was also given a warning for an alleged turn signal violation.

"The investigation is completed and the complaints have been substantiated," said Foley, who added he takes handicapped access laws seriously. "Disciplinary action has been taken. I apologize for the department to those involved."

Foley would not elaborate on the discipline handed out to Trooper Patrick F. Moynihan, who is assigned to the Springfield barracks and has been a trooper for about a year. But he said the trooper understood the gravity of the situation and signed off on the discipline.

Publisher Larry A. McDermott said he appreciated Foley traveling to the newspaper to discuss the conclusion of the investigation. He said the newspaper has great respect for the work of state police but could not let go unchallenged what it believed to be an assault on First Amendment rights.

Molnar also thanked Foley for the apology and credited the professionalism of the troopers involved in the investigation.

The incident came after the newspaper published a brief item on another cruiser that was illegally parked in a suburb of Springfield. That item, also the result of a reader complaint, did not identify the trooper involved

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know

I know this is a sensative issue But I thought people may want to know.

All I have to say is we are all human and we all make mistakes.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Yeah that photographer is worthy of a Pulitzer for that epic photo I saw of a car parked illegally. Nerd needs to find something better to waste film on. :evil:
On another note, Colonel Foley was a guest speaker at our Senior Class dinner at WSC, quite a stand-up guy! And a WSC grad 8)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
Oh my God!
:shock:
The Sh*t they think is newsworthy!
:uc:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
News worthy?

News worthy or a paper seller? Kinda like the TV news covering things half a$$ to be the first on the air to get the ratings.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
All I can say is that the Trooper mentioned is one of our hardest workers and a good cop....he just was in the wrong place at the wrong time....along with the Republican's agenda of busting the MSP's balls.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thought

You know what I thought when I read the article and say the picture? I thought ok the trooper is either brining something in from his trunk that is big and or heavy or he is brining something out that is big and heavy. Not like the guy was parked infront of the Registry door all day long.

Know what pisses me of is a state rep that has an office on State Street in Springfield and she parks right up on the side walk. Oh and there is a parking gagarge right behind her office.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Any chance people can get to "get us" on something they will. We have to try and not to give them that opportunity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about the fact that he is a police officer who is constantly in the public eye and did something illegal. parking in a handicapped space with out a plate is not only illegal its ignorant. I am constantly writting citations for that. He did something dumb in a marked cruiser and got caught, now pay the consiquenses

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Always one to choose the other side, I think that he was wrong. He did something illegal, parking in a handicapped space in a marked unit. If it was an emergency situation, then that is understandable, but other wise, there really is no excuse. If a private citizen is in the store carrying out something heavy, is he going to get tagged? Probably. While I am a paranoid managment hater too, this guy made a mistake and got caught. No conspiracy, he just screwed up. Now should he be disciplined for it? No. Maybe a talking to from the Sergeant, but this isn't worthy of formal discipline.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would say its not the brightest thing this trooper could have done. Why park in the HP spot and give someone the opportunity to call you on it. Shame on him. Secondly to go and stop the guy and take his film or whatever the case was, seems like making a bad situation worse. I'm not saying that the trooper is a bad cop, just got himself into a poor situation. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies, give the public something to call us on and they will.

G

·
If he went to the extreme of following the guy who took his picture of him parking illegally and taking the film away from him :shock: , kind of makes you wonder what other extremes has this Trooper gone to cover up his wrong doings in the past.

That we'll never know hey it could be just one isloated incident for this Trooper, and if so fine, he knows he did a stupid thing he's feeling it right now, he probably wont be doing that again anytime soon. But I still cant help to think what the hell was on his mind pulling the guy over and taking his film? That blows my mind, especially a guy who works for the press, of all people to do that to.

He definitly gets the Donkey award.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm glad those of you quick to judge have taken the word of the cop hating liberal media as utter and complete truth before hearing the Trooper's side of the incident. You guys/gals really show what you're made of. If you'd like I'm sure we can list some property or rental listings in Cambridge or Amherst that you would be interested in. Most who live there swear by the word of the media and never give a second thought either. :x

"Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." - Unknown :NO:

If you've never had the oportunity to have something you've done (good or bad) be covered by the media you don't know the speculation and sensationalism that gets stuffed in between the facts. By the end it winds up some distorted portion of what actually happened. :uc:

G

·
masstroopers1 said:
What would YOU do if someone said there was someone messing with your cruiser, and when you went to check you see a guy snapping pictures then jump into a car and depart suddenly?.
Now I'll admit I don't know much about this situation at all however no one seems to be denying the fact he stopped this photographer and took his film. "Hey nice rolex um ill take that too" come on now, if there was evidence of a crime why wasn't an arrest made. If it isn't true that he took the photographers film then that changes a lot of the story and I am sure if I knew more that would change it as well. What I don't like hearing but do from time to time is officers just "taking things" that doesn't make me feel safe and no one should be supporting that. 9/11 is a very compelling reason to stop someone acting the way the photographer did, to take things from him is a different story.

·
Subscribing Member
3,265 Posts
masstroopers1 said:
. Do you know WHY the Trooper would up confronting the photographer?
I thinks thats the question that most people are thinking about. I like to see that you guys are standing up for your man, which is what you should be doing, but the question I have is the one you stated above, Why did he confront the photographer and take his camera, any clarification would be beneficial, leaving it to ones imagination is not helping the cause.

I never believe what the media states because I've been around too long and have seen too much, but this is a question that needs be clarified, because with the media's SPIN on it, it reads like an "Armed Robbery" under the "Color of Authority."

Chapter 265: Section 17 Armed robbery
Section 17. Whoever, being armed with a dangerous weapon, assaults another and robs, steals or takes from his person money or other property which may be the subject of larceny shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years.

If the Trooper is a stand-up cop and I'm sure he is, then he doesn't need that thought lingering about in peoples minds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know the details of the incident, all I have is the newspaper's version. It serves as a stinging reminder that there are people looking for an opportunity to show how much "better" they are. I can assume anytime someone from that newspaper violates the law and is called on it, they will scream that it is retaliation for this incident.

Having said that, even with some of the stuff I have read in other threads, I am disappointed how some of you passed judgement so quickly. This isn't just an issue of Troopers closing ranks - There are two sides to this story, and Trooper Moynihan isn't talking. I am sure EVERY situation any of you have been in could be seen differently if written up by a reporter with an axe to grind.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I support what MassTrooper1 said

I supprot what masstroopers1 said.

We do not kow the fact of why the trooper was parked where he was parked. Nor do we know for how long. For the photogapher to see the trooper and run is supsicious and I for one would have stopped him and questioned what he was doing around my cruiser (if i had one).

The Colonel had the investigation and the trooper has been disaplined just like any other LEO out there would be punished by his or her respective dept.

I grew up in Western Mass and I for one to take what the Republican (Union-News), the Daily Hampshire Gazette and the Greenfield Recorder with a grain assualt. Oh let me not forget the Valley Advocate. I have seen many police vehilces parked where they shouldn't be. But why? I do not know if they are on a call or some other offical business.

At the same time the City of Springfield and the Republican have no problem turning the other way when a state legislater (Rivera) parks her personal car on the side walk infront of her officer on State ST in Sprinfield (accross from the Springfield Civic Center).
Oh and get this, attached to the building her office is in, is a parking garage. Now tell me why does she need to put her entire car onto the side walk in front of her office on a regular basis?

That is a story the idiots at the Republican will never cover. I wonder why?

G

·
Someone from the MSP w/ knowledge of the incident please fill us in on the details thus to end the speculation.

MT,

Cmon give me a break, dont be surprised at me. If your co-worker took the guys camera w/ out cause or reason and no crime was commited then he (the Trooper ) was wrong, does it make the Trooper a bad guy? No it makes him HUMAN he fucked up, it happens to the best of us, hence the Donkey award. Maybe I should be more clear then, I'm not shittin on the guy I'm just saying DOH! not a bright move.

Do I know the circumstances which led up to it, NO so please fill me/us in.I'am NOT a fan of the media, and I think that if a cruiser parked in a handicap (or close to it)spot makes for good stories out that way then thats one bored reporter. Send that reporter into Boston, if illegally parked crusiers is a big thing he'll have a field day over here.

It's a bullshit story, a waste of the papers time (in my opinon).But the Trooper (from the sound of it) made more of it than it needed to be by taking the guys camera for no reason.

And if what is being (key word "IF") said is true, then when he took the camera without a crime being commited he (the Trooper) is the one who brought the speculation upon himself, he did this to himself, and I'm sure he's realing from it now.

We are all responsible for our own actions.

This will blow over and life will go on.

G

·
OK Mt,

Fill us in then, I still dont see where a crime was commited, unless taking photos of a police car is a new crime. I think PBc said he thought it was great you guys are standing up for your man, I feel the same way, it s great you guys stick together but when your wrong your wrong, end of story. But where in the dark here, and by all accounts by from what you said he followed the guy until he screwed up, basicly (ie no signal.......or whatever) and then engaged him in conversation to see ("THE TROOPER DID NOT TAKE THE FILM OUT OF THE CAMERA. THE TROOPER SEIZED THE "PHOTO ASSIGNMENT FORM" FOR THE PURPOSE OF CORROBORATING THE SUBJECT'S STATEMENTS".) what his assigment was. Why SIEZE the paper work? Isnt just asking enough? I fail to see any wrong doing on the photographers part.

It looks like you MSP guys are pissed others dont agree with what your guy did, and were all monday morning quarter backing. Admit it he screwed up and he's dealing w/ it, no big deal, the Dept did there investigation and they concluded the same thing, now he's dealing with it and its over, but by doing what he did he created the speculation about himself in the 1st place.

The Troopers side would be nice to know to piece this story together, if its possible.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.