State Special Police? | MassCops

State Special Police?

Discussion in 'State Police' started by JD02124, Nov 12, 2014.

1. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Hey guys I'm a Boston Park Ranger aka a Boston SPO, and I'm wondering as to what the training is like for state specials? Like how the academy is and how their jurisdiction comes into play what their limitations are when it comes to powers of arrest so on and so forth? I recently applied for a job that said I would have to be able to be appointed to be a state special and I'm just curious. Any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.

2. CO4Sho

CO4Sho MassCops Member

SSPO grants you statutory powers of arrest only, just like being sworn in as a Special in a city/town or a Deputy Sheriff in a county.

To be sworn in as a SSPO you need to go to the SSPO academy run by the State Police or you can receive a waiver if you have a bachelors degree and a Reserve Police Academy.

Joel98 likes this.
  3. JD02124

How long is the academy?

4. CO4Sho

CO4Sho MassCops Member

5. JD02124

6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

...and in your case particularly, lots of agencies utilizing sspo are armed.

JD02124 likes this.
  7. JD02124

So should that situation occur again . . .

e2mfl.jpg

mtc, zm88, Joel98 and 8 others like this.
  8. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Heaven Forbid!!! Once is enough!

pahapoika likes this.
  9. JD02124

Heres the qualifications for the job I applied for. I would like to say the BSPO experience puts me in the "preferred qualifications", and the fact that it states you must complete a academy must mean its entry level.

License/Certifications Required:

• Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
    Appointee must:

1. Be eligible for appointment as a Special Police Officer under Massachusetts General Laws
    2. Be able to pass a psychological fitness examination prior to hire
    3. Be able to obtain and maintain a Massachusetts License to Carry (LTC) Class A High Capacity Firearms License
    4. Be able to pass a comprehensive physical examination which includes drug screening prior to hire
    5. Be able to successfully complete and pass a physical agility test prior to hire
    6. Be able to successfully complete and pass a police recruit academy
    7. Submit to ethics training as dictated by the Commonwealth and successfully pass an applicable examination
    Preferred Qualifications:

1. Working knowledge of the law of arrest and criminal procedure in the courts
    2. Working knowledge of the rules and regulations pertaining in general to the buildings, grounds and facilities of the university
    3. Working knowledge of and adherence to the rules and regulations or general orders of the police department
    4. Develop and maintain a working knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws (M.G.L.), laws of arrests, search and seizure laws, The Constitution of the United States and The Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    5. Must have the ability to work extended hours on varying shifts under a variety of conditions and at times under stressful circumstances

10. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

It almost sounds like they would send you to the academy ?

11. JD02124

Thats what I was thinking / hoping.

12. Pvt. Cowboy

Hope is a dirty word. You watch your tongue... ;)

mtc and LawMan3 like this.
  13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Of course we cannot forget that SSPO covers more than colleges/universities and hospitals. There are 14 different classifications (railroad, soldier's homes, gaming commission, DMH, DPH, etc) which have a section of the law and we all know that not all of them carry. Railroads, sure, but DPH and DMH, I don't believe anyone will ever arm them. Screwed up? You bet, but that's our Commonwealth. In fact, the section covering Investigators with the Special Investigations Bureau (Welfare fraud) has this line at the end: This section shall not be construed as authorizing any person appointed as a special state police officer as provided herein to carry a firearm in the performance of his duties.

pahapoika likes this.
  14. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

As long as you have not gotten drunk and broken into your neighbors house and stole their firearm you should be GTG.....

15. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Lmaooooo

16. Pvt. Cowboy

...annnnnd you win the internets today.

Killjoy, FTH, mtc and 5 others like this.
  17. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

Nice callback!

18. JD02124

Well we all know the difference between doing the right thing versus the wrong thing is . . . GETTIING CAUGHT! Am I right guys!! (CRICKETS). e3xem.jpg

19. Cloverleaf Firearms Group

Cloverleaf Firearms Group MassCops Member

20. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Basic Police Firearms Training is part of the SSPO curriculum, whether the department is armed or not.

21. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Better to be prepared than have to play catch up.