Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOSTON (AP) -- State public safety officials have unveiled six new mobile command vehicles that will be strategically placed around Massachusetts.

The vehicles will provide better coordination and response to emergencies, from major fires to terrorist attacks.
Public Safety Secretary Ed Flynn says the Nine-Eleven Commission identified the ability for commanders to communicate with each other at major emergencies as a top priority.
State Fire Marshal Steven Coan says the field communication units will help to create a statewide safety net that serves the public and protects public servants.
The vehicles cost 267-thousand dollars each and were purchased with a one-point-six (m) million dollar grant from the Department of Homeland Security.
They'll be stationed at fire departments in Pittsfield, Holyoke, Worcester, Taunton, Lowell and Waltham.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Currently the State Fire Marshall has 1 Incident Support Vehicle which is housed at the Fire Academy. There are 2 drivers who are academy staffers. The communications part of it is staffed regionaly be people on a IS Team. the state is divided into sections similar to what OEMS has done and people on those teams respond to incidents using the vehicle.

I know they do training but I am not sure what kind or how much. These teams are not very well known. I only knew about them because a friend of mine is on the Western Massachusetts one.

I would like to see the DPS get people trained in Incident and Tactical Communications to staff the communications part of these vehicles. Many states like CA and FL have these teams and they have become priceless part of major fire, police and EM incidents.

So lets see if this will happen or if DIspatchers will be forgotten about like with the failed SATURN project the last Secretary or PS created.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.