Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had conversation with (2) FT PO's one from Martha's Vinyard and the other from Central Mass, both of which are in the running. One scored a 98 and the other a 99. They were completing a course at New Braintree Academy on behalf of their respective departments. Each informed me in seperate conversations that their background checks have recently been completed. In the last several weeks this has taken place. During this same period, I had conversation with a Trooper in the videography section of the New Braintree Academy. I was informed that they are readying themselves for the videoing of the next class coming "this summer". Several other troopers from C3,5,7 have mentioned that "rumors" are for June. P.S. the (2) PO's told me they were getting ready to burn up their sick leave.

·
2,297 Posts
massvet said:
I had conversation with (2) FT PO's one from Martha's Vinyard and the other from Central Mass, both of which are in the running. One scored a 98 and the other a 99. They were completing a course at New Braintree Academy on behalf of their respective departments. Each informed me in seperate conversations that their background checks have recently been completed. In the last several weeks this has taken place. During this same period, I had conversation with a Trooper in the videography section of the New Braintree Academy. I was informed that they are readying themselves for the videoing of the next class coming "this summer". Several other troopers from C3,5,7 have mentioned that "rumors" are for June. P.S. the (2) PO's told me they were getting ready to burn up their sick leave.
Tell your buddies to hold off on the S/L. I actually HAD an academy date, and burnt up my SIC at the CT DOC. Guess what? the funding never came through and I had to wait another 6 months. Tell them to play it smart...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
msp benefits

Are there any Troopers familiar with their current contract? Also, do you have an idea of what the Academy rate of pay is Gross/Take-home.
sick-leave______days
Vacation_______weeks Yr.(1)(2)(3......etc..
Insurance contribution $_____ Family Plan, $______Single
Shift Differential$_______, if any

Rates of pay/steps for
yr. (1)
yr. (2)______, yr.(3)_______, yr.(4)_______....etc to Max. Wage

Thanks in advance to those who know for sure!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
No disrespect, Massvet, but if you are considering doing this job for the money, do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. Yes, the money is good, but you get into policing because you want to be a cop, go out there, do a good job, and catch criminals..if you want to make money, become a stock broker.

·
2,297 Posts
Killjoy275 said:
No disrespect, Massvet, but if you are considering doing this job for the money, do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. Yes, the money is good, but you get into policing because you want to be a cop, go out there, do a good job, and catch criminals..if you want to make money, become a stock broker.
In defense of Massvet. it would appear that he is already a local cop and wants to know the salary differences. Thta is a VERY important factor in deciding whether or not to switch to MSP. It is even more important for those of us who have families and children. Why would you put your family through th BS of starting over and living through the academy for the same money?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why would you put your family through th BS of starting over and living through the academy for the same money?
My class had four Springfield cops in it, less than a year after we graduated was when SPD had the massive layoffs.

It's a personal decision you will have to make, but don't focus on the immediate financial pinch, there may be other opportunities you wish to pursue down the road, think big picture.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Those who are municipal cops do have a love for the job of police work. I think most municipal police officers want to go to the state police because of the opportunities that are involved. I know that is why I want to go. I have always been interested in K9 and underwater recovery/crime scene, but my opportunities are very limited considering my towns budget.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been on the job for (4) four years now. If it was all about the money I would have put my (4) four undergraduate degrees to better use than that of a PO. If I was not interested in creating a better place to live for my family and others, I would be doing something else. My degrees are not "State Quin Bill Approved". It is not about the money however, as someone pointed out, those of us that have families need to make prudent decisions. My employer currently contributes only 50% towards Healthcare. That relates to "my" contribution of approx $108 dollars per week for health insurance for a family plan. We do not have a dental option. These are questions that I feel a rational person should have answered before making an educated decision. Aside from my current employment I am trying to pre-plan in case the opportunity arises to join the ranks of the MSP. I do not want to get caught with my "pants down" so to speak. "Those that fail to plan, plan to Fail". Another academy will have some impact on my spouse and our child (1yr/old). Our current work schedules allow us to care for our child ourselves without having to use family or day care. There are many people out there with questionable character. I know that by caring for my family myself I do not have to be concerned about what kind of care or mistreatment they may be given. As do most gainfully employed PO's I have a mortgage payment every month along with two-car payments along with the usual neccessaties. I don't live lavishly but I do want to live. Its not all about he money! It is reassuring to know what it will take to make ends meet during the training.

The folks reading this that have worked for corporate America simply will not understand as most have probably received 100% health &dental, matching 401K, nights and weekends off or at least a considerable compensation for shift work. Other PO's with families that are in a similair situation will comprehend a need to plan.

Our community dental plan if you call it that......hopefully, the guy that knocks your teeth out is employed (Not with a Mass EBT Card either) and hopefully, the Judge demands restitution as a term of probation. Wishfull thinking, make sure you have current dental x-rays. If your employer is like most: "It must of happened outside of work".. Those that know, a little more humor ...

·
Registered
181 Posts
MV,
As a graduate of the last class, I have felt your pain. Myself and other more-established trainees (house, kids, etc) either burned up their savings or used an equity line to cover expenses.

You bring up the issue of child care. As junior man, your schedule is at the whim of senior Troopers every 56 days. In addition you will be commuting distances in a marked cruiser, before and after your shift, effectively making your work day 9-11 hours or more. You also can no longer drop the kid off at Grandma's on the way to work. These are some of the little things that can become major if not thought about.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
I'm curious, if I lived in Milton and commuted to Sturbridge for assignment. It's like a 3 hour commute and you have to stop for DMVs. If you stop for the DMVs , do you get OT for it. You are on-duty and working if assisting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To answer your question, yes you must stop for DMV's and NO you do NOT get OT for stopping and assisting. If you do not stop for DMV's you could lose your cruiser, now you would be commuting 3 hours in your PC.

H50 said:
I'm curious, if I lived in Milton and commuted to Sturbridge for assignment. It's like a 3 hour commute and you have to stop for DMVs. If you stop for the DMVs , do you get OT for it. You are on-duty and working if assisting.

·
2,297 Posts
H50 said:
However, if you stop for one of those DMV's and end up locking up the occupants (warrants, drugs, etc...) now you get OT for the arrest from the end of your shift, including the commute...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Most of my classmates from your area are going further west than Sturbridge....

Despite that, it's still the best job in the Commonwealth.

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
One of my FTOs lived in Milton and had to commute to Lee

·
2,297 Posts
biged86 said:
One of my FTOs lived in Milton and had to commute to Lee
Two of my classmates lived in West Roxbury and broke in in Sturbridge. Immediately after break-in, they were shipped to CHESHIRE :shock: . If you don't know where it is, look it up. It's as far west as you get before you hit NY state. Cheshire covers as far as Clarksburg (VT Border) and Hancock (NY State border) Another buddy of mine lived in Tewksbury and worked Mids at Shelburne Falls...Nearly a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride and he was still motivated to work when he got there. There was about 4 years between my class and the 74th RTT as well so no relief was in sight...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.