1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by The Republican Newsroom Friday August 15, 2008, 9:41 AM
By GEORGE GRAHAM
[email protected]

HOLYOKE - State police, stopping a car with Vermont plates on Interstate 91 yesterday morning, discovered 19 catalytic converters inside.

Tools discovered along with the converters lead police to believe that they are stolen, Sgt. Michael J. McCarthy, who is attached to the Northampton barracks, said.

Photo by Don Treeger / The Republican
State Trooper Eric F. French looks at some of the catalytic converters, believed to be stolen, that were found during a traffic stop on Interstate 91 in Holyoke yesterday.

State Trooper Eric F. French, who stopped the northbound vehicle about 11 a.m., is working with state police in Vermont and Connecticut to investigate the apparent thefts, McCarthy.

"The investigation is in its infancy," McCarthy said.

McCarthy said the driver, a Vermont man, is "a person of interest," however, he is yet to be arrested.

Catalytic converters contain platinum and the soaring cost of that metal has spiked an increase in such thefts, McCarthy said.

"Apparently it's quite common," McCarthy said.

An expired registration sticker prompted French to stop the vehicle, a Mercury sedan, McCarthy said.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: State police stop on I-91 in Holyoke yields 19 catalytic converters, apparently s

A rising crime nationwide.

The pollution-reducing converters contain small amounts of the precious metals platinum and palladium, and they've joined copper wire and sewer grates on the long list of metal items targeted by thieves eager to cash in on climbing metal commodity prices.
CA LEOs are plagued with reports for CC thefts. Most recycling shops are also looking out for those who are redeeming large amounts of scrap.

·
Subscribing Member
498 Posts
Re: State police stop on I-91 in Holyoke yields 19 catalytic converters, apparently s

Good grab Trooper French. Eric is R9...

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts

Nice job Troopah

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts

I heard that Rusty the WCSO K9 placed first in the USPCA competition for catalytic converter detection. They should have called him out from the jail to I-91 for the stop. He might have even detected some bonus muscle relaxants on the way!

G

·

I heard that Rusty the WCSO K9 placed first in the USPCA competition for catalytic converter detection. They should have called him out from the jail to I-91 for the stop. He might have even detected some bonus muscle relaxants on the way!
Rusty actually works part-time in garages sniffing tailpipes for the emission portion of inspection stickers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts