Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Michael Norton

State House News Service / February 26, 2011

BROCKTON - Launching a new State Police class in October would add 150 troopers to a force that has lost about 400 officers over the past five years.
Patrick administration officials testifying at budget hearings in Brockton said there are about 2,100 State Police officers now, down from more than 2,500 in 2006.
"We are down to some really severe levels,'' said Mary Beth Heffernan, secretary of public safety. "We are at the point right now where it's a problem and we need to get a class on.''

Patrick administration officials said the plans are contingent on the receipt of appropriations from the Legislature. Patrick, in his budget plan unveiled last month, proposed a $2.50 to $2.70 surcharge on auto insurance policies to fund a new class of State Police cadets.

Administration officials expect as many as 200 more troopers to retire by the end of the current fiscal year.

Full Story:
State Police staffing now at 'severe levels,' Patrick officials say - The Boston Globe

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
If they can get all the funds to sustain their constituents life of crime they can get funds for us to manage them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hopefully he has some sort of plan for more than just one class of 150 recruits if more than that will retire by July. It makes it tough to play catch up when you've ignored a department for 6 years!:stomp:

G

·
Mary Beth Heffernan is an ass.
So true.
That's like Satan saying Christianity is losing souls and wants to help spread the Word of God.
Heffernan would be happy to have each SO take over the LE role in each defunct county.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
He probably just needs a photo of him at an RTT graduation for his book so that he can make it look like he tried to live up to adding 1000 new officers like he said he would.

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
Against my better judgment I read the comments, funny not one comment that said anything about cutting welfare or the free cell phones the state provides to the leaches. I did get a chuckle out of the comment that stated something about seeing the departed. Oh well next patrol I will do my part to "raise money for the state".

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
150 cops on the street in his sixth year. Making good on your promise, Deval?

So they'll hire 150 and retire 200. One step forward, two steps back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just read the comments and to be honest I found most of them comical! Its amusing how much people despise Law Enforcement because they thing all police do is issue tickets! Just shows you how people can be so damn ignorant!

Their tune changes once they are calling 911 requesting assistance when Danny-Dirtbag is kicking in their back door! Screwballs!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Well, we could have it worse. I found the following stats from "wikipedia" so I will "assume" that they are accurate. California: population of 37,252,956 with 7,300 Troopers/Highway Patrolmen. According to my calculator I believe that equals out to 1 Trooper per 5,103 citizens. New York: population of 19,378,102 with 4,667 Troopers. 1 Trooper per 4,152 citizens. Massachusetts: population of 6,547,629 with 2191 Troopers. 1 Trooper per 2,988 citizens.

The real issue is ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS. The money is not there anymore for the free loaders. In an ideal world all entitlement programs would cease before going after public safety etc. I am sure that Gov Patrick will try and get 1 Trooper class in before leaving office. This way when he runs for a higher office he will claim in debates that he was for public safety blah blah. And the masses will probably buy it as they did with Obama.............

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Heffernan said the administration has also looked consistently at the idea of consolidating the State Police and MBTA police forces.

"It would not be a savings, no. We've looked at that proposal many times,'' Heffernan said. She called it "too expensive to think about right now

What would be the motivation to merge the MSP with the MBTA if it would be to expensive. I would imagine that the only reason they would think about doing it would be to save money.

·
Subscribing Member
1,615 Posts
Hopefully he has some sort of plan for more than just one class of 150 recruits if more than that will retire by July. It makes it tough to play catch up when you've ignored a department for 6 years!:stomp:
He probably just needs a photo of him at an RTT graduation for his book so that he can make it look like he tried to live up to adding 1000 new officers like he said he would.
We'll be lucky to get one RTT out of him.

His deliberate neglect of the MSP is a result of spiteful politics, compounded by our State's fiscal reality.

Not that he needed another reason to take a giant :poop: on the doorstep of the Commonwealth's law enforcement community, but SPAM's lack of support (non-endorsement) in both of Gov. Patrick's campaigns only gave him more pleasure to exclaim from high atop Beacon Hill...

"Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it."

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
F*CKING COMMENTS :stomp:

Go read them if you're in the mood to write cites...otherwise, don't waste your time, it will only raise your blood pressure :stomp:
I usually don't take people's advice on ANYTHING. I typically read the comments and shorten my lifespan with anger. However, you can take some pride in the fact that I took your advice. It's my weekend off and I have NO desire to get my blood boiling. After having a 7.5 month unwanted vacation, I've decided I want to be generally happier in life.

Anyway, thanks.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Bear in mind that these other states have Sheriffs doing patrol as well. Add their numbers to those state's SP/HP numbers and I think you'll see things tilt the other way.
Yeah... that kind of an asshole comment to make. (not you Wolf)

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
What would be the motivation to merge the MSP with the MBTA if it would be to expensive. I would imagine that the only reason they would think about doing it would be to save money.
It would save the MBTA a lot of money because they wouldn't have to fund their own police force...it would cost the state a lot more because it would have to foot 100% of the cost of patrolling the MBTA sites and at least the MBTA is partially funded from the fare costs.

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
You know what? Just for that reason--fuck the 80th RTT.

As long as it's not affecting safety, make the state suffer. Deval shouldn't be getting kudos for putting the class through at the same time hes engendering the anger of the public against MSP by adding an insurance fee in oder to make it happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Watching WBZ,news about the shortage, I went to MSP web site, dated 2/17/2011, those who recved a letter for an interview, fill out the application and bring it with you. Anyone get one yet?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts