Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jessica Van Sack
Monday, July 28, 2008 - Updated 1h ago

Faced with budget-busting fuel costs that have increased by more than $4 million in three years, the Massachusetts State Police is becoming more fuel efficient.

Three-wheeled scooters that the state police test drove on the Esplanade for the Fourth of July will soon become a new addition to the department. Two to four electric T3 vehicles - which look like the stand-up Segway scooters - will be purchased within the next year.

"They were well-received by those who were using them, and we were pleased with their performance," said state police spokesman Dave Procopio.

Procopio said the state police foresee using the T3s on state parks and beaches like the Southwest Corridor and Castle Island in lieu of cruisers.

At $8,000 apiece, they're one-third the price of a cruiser, and according to the manufacturer, the operating cost is 10 cents per day. The bigger price is speed - which tops off at about 20 mph.

The state police have struggled to find ways to make their fleet more fuel-efficient. Of 2,900 cruisers, 1,675 are 8-cylinder Ford Crown Victorias, with their notoriously gas-guzzling 17 to 25 miles per gallon.

But like many public safety agencies, they are dogged by the fact that police pursuit vehicles require a speed and durability that hybrids don't have.

According to Sgt. Robert M. Bousquet Jr., new cruisers purchased this past fiscal year can burn E85, a blend of ethanol and conventional gas that some departments, like the one in Orlando, Fla., are already using.

The state police recently purchased two hybrid Ford Escapes for support staff and has plans to buy as many as 10 more for its crime scene services unit. And supplies are transported from state police headquarters to the barracks via five natural gas Ford Econoline vans - but they can only fuel up at a select few natural gas pumps throughout the state.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1109439

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
E85 is more expensive than gas where you can get it...the worst part is that while it burns cleaner, it does not have as much energy as gasoline does.

The bottom line is that it costs more than gas and does not offer as many MPG as gasoline does. Until the engineers figure that one out or the costs of it go down, it's just a feelgood thing for the environmentalists.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E85 is more expensive than gas where you can get it...the worst part is that while it burns cleaner, it does not have as much energy as gasoline does.

The bottom line is that it costs more than gas and does not offer as many MPG as gasoline does. Until the engineers figure that one out or the costs of it go down, it's just a feelgood thing for the environmentalists.
You said it all right there. I just want to add that the only E85 station in MA is in Chelsea.

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
So unless a municipality wants to set up their own E85 tanks, it sounds like they would have to drive all the way to Chelsea to fill up.

BRILLIANT! ;-) Oh, and a monopoly on pricing, too!

I don't think this will catch on in the next several years...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
CNG doesn't have impressive gas mileage either. Quite honestly for a V-8 the crown vic has 25 MPG on the highway is not too bad considering what most crappy SUVs get.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get a kick out of the fact that they are criticizing Boston PD for having a couple hundred take home cars and complimenting MSP (with many many more take homes).

They claim (and I hope it is the Herald and not MSP) that these T3s are going to replace cruisers???

The only thing they will replace is a bicycle. I don't see a huge money or energy savings there.

Copcar65

·
Registered
601 Posts
To me these departments are doing some stupid things. They are spending money on all these electric/hybrid things to save money. I was told by a Honda dealer that the civic hybrid gas mileage didn't even offset the difference between the cost of the two vehicles never mind the fact when the battery goes it costs thousands to replace. People just panic and jump into some stupid decisions. These departments should continue to use what we have instead of spending money on all these unproven geek contraptions.

·
Adios, muchacho!
254 Posts
To me these departments are doing some stupid things. They are spending money on all these electric/hybrid things to save money. I was told by a Honda dealer that the civic hybrid gas mileage didn't even offset the difference between the cost of the two vehicles never mind the fact when the battery goes it costs thousands to replace. People just panic and jump into some stupid decisions. These departments should continue to use what we have instead of spending money on all these unproven geek contraptions.
No kidding. $4,000 over the EX for a hybrid. Figure if you drive 10,000 miles per year and get the EPA average for an EX your fuel costs are going to be about $1380 (at $4/gal). You drive the hybrid 10,000 miles per year at the EPA average you're looking at about $940. Only a $440 difference which over a year ain't crap. Hell it would take 9 years just to get the difference in base price back nevermind by then you'll have to buy a $3000 battery! And all of that is for one of the most efficient gasoline engines, e85, lng, and propane cars aren't nearly as efficient so it makes you wonder how much money they are, or aren't, saving.

G

·
I get a kick out of the fact that they are criticizing Boston PD for having a couple hundred take home cars and complimenting MSP (with many many more take homes).
The overwhelming majority (if not all) of the BPD take homes are unmarked. Do you really think that Deputy Superintendent Gold Stars of the BPD is going to activate himself on the way home on the Friday of a holiday weekend at 5pm? He's just a guy driving a Crown Vic.

Many (if not most) MSP take homes are marked; it's almost impossible to drive by a clusterfuck in a marked cruiser.

Trust me.....I've tried. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts