Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a list that I once had but lost that had standard drag factors for example:

Dry asphalt .075
Wet Snow .025 or others

I know the drag sled is most accurate but if anyone has the estimated standards I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
coefficient of friction

H50,

this information is from "traffic accident reconstruction" by lynn b. fricke, northwestern university traffic institute, 1990: isbn 0-912642-07-6; library of congress #90-60196: (62-14)

asphalt:

dry: wet:
new- 0.80 to 1.00 0.50 to 0.75
travelled: 0.60 to 0.70 0.45 to 0.65
traffic polished: 0.55 to 0.65 0.45 to 0.60

these values vary and depend upon the speed of the vehicle. there are further values in the book for pedestrians, or for vehicles on concrete, gravel, ice, snow, etc. also for motorcycles. trucks (commercial) are different: the tire composition is "harder" and when articulated vehicles are involved, there are several factors (such as degrees of freedom) that affect the vehicles "f" value.

in short, always try to determine the coefficient of friction using a drag sled, vc 2000, or similar devices at the scene! book values should be your last resort.

if you need to build a drag sled (it is cheap, so relax) goto
www.iptm.com order "design, creati...y event, so much for an easy answer... :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.