Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the recent (9/22/05) case of Christopher Young vs. Boston University, the Massachusetts Appeals Court concluded that "as a special State police officer, a BU police officer's authority extends to the environs surrounding the campus when the "special vigilance of an officer might be required to keep the peace and preserve order amongst those frequenting the [university and] those carrying persons to and from it."

The full-text case is available in the Resources section of http://www.policelaborlaw.com under criminal law cases.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,713 Posts
MCLEA said:
In the recent (9/22/05) case of Christopher Young vs. Boston University, the Massachusetts Appeals Court concluded that "as a special State police officer, a BU police officer's authority extends to the environs surrounding the campus when the "special vigilance of an officer might be required to keep the peace and preserve order amongst those frequenting the [university and] those carrying persons to and from it."

The full-text case is available in the Resources section of http://www.policelaborlaw.com under criminal law cases.
Yes,

Thank you MCLEA! ever vigilant and technically competent, do you ever sleep!?
:rd:
 
G

·
BU cops are also sworn as Suffolk County Deputy Sheriffs, giving them jurisdiction off BU property anyway, so I'm not sure that was the greatest test case.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,713 Posts
I just KNEW some geek would have to focus on "sheriff" in this case.
:p
READ the exact wording of the above decision. It's about SSPO's jurisdiction not being limited by geography. They cited the MBTA Police case from 1980 in reaching their conclusion. In that case, the MBTA Cops went to East Boston High School and questioned/arrested a suspect for a crime that happened earlier on their property.

You wouldn't normally see or hear about suffolk county deputies conducting criminal investigations and then making arrests for same. This isn't about breach-of-peace arrest at off-campus dorm.
:-?
This CASE LAW decision will have an effect on how SSPO departments conduct business, irregardless of other powers they may or may not have. Many departments need to think "outside the bubble". The old perception that the job stops at the campus gate needs to end. We routinely serve arrest warrants out in surrounding communities. This decision will empower some agencies to "get it done" beyond where the maintainers cut the grass!

Please lets not talk about the inevitable bozo who will make more of this decision than it is, but it's not just Campus Cops who make mistakes or lose cases on jurisdictional issues is it?
:sh:
 
G

·
mpd61 said:
I just KNEW some geek would have to focus on "sheriff" in this case.
A Massasoit campus cop is calling me a geek. That's rich. Shouldn't you be attending to a lockout or a building alarm? After you play chauffeur or errand boy, of course.

mpd61 said:
READ the exact wording of the above decision. It's about SSPO's jurisdiction not being limited by geography. They cited the MBTA Police case from 1980 in reaching their conclusion. In that case, the MBTA Cops went to East Boston High School and questioned/arrested a suspect for a crime that happened earlier on their property.
The MBTA...errr....Transit Police have full police powers in all the cities & towns served by the MBTA.

mpd61 said:
You wouldn't normally see or hear about suffolk county deputies conducting criminal investigations and then making arrests for same. This isn't about breach-of-peace arrest at off-campus dorm.
http://www.neu.edu/public_safety/theforce.html

The division recognizes its responsibility to provide crime prevention and emergency police services to members of the Northeastern community while they are in the immediate campus neighborhood, as well as when on official campus property. To that end, university police officers also hold commissions as deputy sheriffs in Suffolk County, providing them with the authority to exercise police duties on the public streets and other areas of the city contiguous to the campus.

mpd61 said:
This CASE LAW decision will have an effect on how SSPO departments conduct business, irregardless of other powers they may or may not have. Many departments need to think "outside the bubble". The old perception that the job stops at the campus gate needs to end. We routinely serve arrest warrants out in surrounding communities. This decision will empower some agencies to "get it done" beyond where the maintainers cut the grass!

Please lets not talk about the inevitable bozo who will make more of this decision than it is, but it's not just Campus Cops who make mistakes or lose cases on jurisdictional issues is it?
If you display this kind of attitude while thinking "outside the bubble" and trying to play cop outside your playground, don't expect a whole lot of support from the real police.

I know a lot of campus cops, and I have a lot of respect for most of them, because they realize respect is a two-way street. Calling the local cops "geeks" or "bozos" is going to get you nothing but heartburn in the end. Then again, I bet you don't have the balls to call a Brockton or Canton cop a "geek" or "bozo" to his face. Right, sport?
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,713 Posts
:L:
Ouch!!!!
Somebody seems to have thin skin. All that tirade over "geek"? I know I'm just an "errand-boy" but when I grow up, I hope to be a calm, cool, objective sort like you.
:85565:
 

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
Joined
·
3,299 Posts
This case is clearly a case based on the MGL language for SSPO. I wouldn't see a SSPO's arrest as "playing on someone else's playground" if the arrest is for a crime that occurred on their property. When another town comes in and picks someone up for an offense that occurred in their town we don't say "Wait a minute buddy, this our playground, screw off!." If an SSPO wants to pick someone up for an offense on their property, fine by me. That way if they screwed something up, the liability is on them, not me.

As far as the MBTA case, DId the TPD always have full jurisdiction? Were they SSPO's back in 1980?
 
G

·
mpd61 said:
Somebody seems to have thin skin. All that tirade over "geek"? I know I'm just an "errand-boy" but when I grow up, I hope to be a calm, cool, objective sort like you.
Tirade? Are you kidding me?
 
G

·
RPD931 said:
This case is clearly a case based on the MGL language for SSPO. I wouldn't see a SSPO's arrest as "playing on someone else's playground" if the arrest is for a crime that occurred on their property. When another town comes in and picks someone up for an offense that occurred in their town we don't say "Wait a minute buddy, this our playground, screw off!." If an SSPO wants to pick someone up for an offense on their property, fine by me. That way if they screwed something up, the liability is on them, not me.
Unless it's a warrant arrest, if someone is wanted by another city/town, we make the actual arrest, transport the suspect to our station for a "courtesy booking", then the other agency takes custody. If the other agency is the state police, transit police, or someone else with jurisdiction in the city, they always have the good sense to let us know what's going on, and have us accompany them to make the arrest. They then take the suspect directly to their facility.

RPD931 said:
As far as the MBTA case, DId the TPD always have full jurisdiction? Were they SSPO's back in 1980?
AFAIK, they've always had full police powers as the MBTA/Transit Police. Back in the days of the Boston Elevated Railway, it was probably different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Delta784,

Clearly by your childish tirade about "lockouts" and "errand boy" you have no idea what it like to work for a modern day State College PD. Your assumptions may have been true 5-10 years ago but not now. Please get your facts straight before you insult a good number of professional police officers that are no different than you.

#11
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
That's always been my philosophy. I cannot fathom the lack of professional courtesy which seems to be evident in the previous comments posted a couple of posts back by j809 and popo.
This was said by Delta 784 yet he writes
Shouldn't you be attending to a lockout or a building alarm? After you play chauffeur or errand boy, of course.
That's real professional courtesy. A state college campus cop might do the same or more than you do on your PD. With that attitude you'll never get in Massasoit to use the Gym or use the shitter.
 
G

·
SSPO#11 said:
Delta784,

Clearly by your childish tirade about "lockouts" and "errand boy" you have no idea what it like to work for a modern day State College PD.
1) I wasn't addressing a state college police officer, rather a community college police officer. Big difference.

2) I've seen the "crime" stats for Massasoit Community College. "Lockouts" and "errand boy" are totally accurate. I challenge you to prove me wrong.

3) I didn't start this little tiff. When someone hits me, I hit them back. Hard. If I hurt some feelings in the process, too bad.

SSPO#11 said:
Your assumptions may have been true 5-10 years ago but not now. Please get your facts straight before you insult a good number of professional police officers that are no different than you.
As I alluded to before, I only insulted Mr. Massasoit because he insulted me first. In any event, he's MUCH different than me. I'll bet $1000 cash money that I've made more felony arrests this year than Mr. Massasoit has in his entire career.
 
G

·
popo said:
That's real professional courtesy. A state college campus cop might do the same or more than you do on your PD. With that attitude you'll never get in Massasoit to use the Gym or use the shitter.
As I said previously, when someone hits me, I hit them back. However, I don't hold the immature attitude of one person against an entire agency. If a Massasoit cop showed up at my station, he'd get the same courtesy as any other cop, provided he displayed the same respect he expected in return.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
At Massasoit where we play errand boy, We do sometimes get out after work and tie a few beers on where we meet in our student lots and shoot at utility poles and lamp posts. Maybe our departments can meet up at Marina Bay and have an old fashion shoot out at the OK corral! :naughty:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
Irish Wampanoag said:
At Massasoit where we play errand boy, We do sometimes get out after work and tie a few beers on where we meet in our student lots and shoot at utility poles and lamp posts. Maybe our departments can meet up at Marina Bay and have an old fashion shoot out at the OK corral! :naughty:
Ouch
 
G

·
Irish Wampanoag said:
At Massasoit where we play errand boy, We do sometimes get out after work and tie a few beers on where we meet in our student lots and shoot at utility poles and lamp posts. Maybe our departments can meet up at Marina Bay and have an old fashion shoot out at the OK corral! :naughty:
Want to buy some RMV citation books?

Ahh, never mind, I don't need the money. I made $98,000 last year without breaking much of a sweat.

Ouch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
no bias against anyone, but lets face it... municipal police in any community over 40,000 people are the real police. Campus security, the MBTA and even the MSP don't see or deal with as much. 9-1-1 brings in the local police. We don't check door knobs, suck up to college big shots or act as errand boys - many of us have been campus officers - big difference. Never mind attempting to "expand" your "powers" ... Be proud of your occupation - it is honorable. But be what you are and do what you were hired to do and stop playing real police - others were hired to do that. If it is not your responsibility to deal with - don't fret about it. Collect your pay and be proud about your job. Stop trying to assume responsibility that is not yours and you will be happier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I'm sure when you get a citation from one of these fake college campuse police officers and get no professional courtesy from them, you will not call them fake police in front of the magistrate.Last I saw, MPD still issues citations to violators so I don't think they'll buy and boks from you, they might get books from BPD soon anyway.Get real, state college POs are real. Massasoit PD guys are alright and are real cops. I have dealt with Bridgewater State Colege PD, Massasoit PD and Salem State PD guys and all are real cops. Get over yourselves. My department had contact with the college PDs and developed a strong working relationship with them. They are self sustained and never need our help unless they need more guys as backup.The only ones we don't like are the Sheriffs. :D
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
ferus fidelitas said:
no bias against anyone, but lets face it... municipal police in any community over 40,000 people are the real police. Campus security, the MBTA and even the MSP don't see or deal with as much. 9-1-1 brings in the local police. We don't check door knobs, suck up to college big shots or act as errand boys - many of us have been campus officers - big difference. Never mind attempting to "expand" your "powers" ... Be proud of your occupation - it is honorable. But be what you are and do what you were hired to do and stop playing real police - others were hired to do that. If it is not your responsibility to deal with - don't fret about it. Collect your pay and be proud about your job. Stop trying to assume responsibility that is not yours and you will be happier.
I was wondering when someone was going to drop the "REAL" word.....so what about cities under 40,000 they're not real?....The City of Chelsea I belive has less than 40,000 residents in it...Go tell a Chelsea cop they're not real..Saugus has 26,000 residents go tell them they're not real as they run their asses off up and down RT 1 each night...funny thing about the "Real" word....I never heard it used in any other public safety circle ie Fire or EMS...they may have the paid vs volunteer debate but I never heard anyone claim that another agency wasn't real....or the staff wasn't real...Only in LE have I heard this debate ...
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top