Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong... to quallify for a SSPO waiver you would have to complete the R/I Academy and have 2 years of sworn police experience or complete R/I Academy and have an associates degree or higher? I know it's been discussed before on this board, and I have gotten some pretty screwy answers from others off-the-board. Someone want to set it straight for me?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong... to quallify for a SSPO waiver you would have to complete the R/I Academy and have 2 years of sworn police experience or complete R/I Academy and have an associates degree or higher? I know it's been discussed before on this board, and I have gotten some pretty screwy answers from others off-the-board. Someone want to set it straight for me?
R/I with approximately 4000 hours sworn experience should do it.
R/I with Associates or higher in Criminal Justice should also do it.

FOR A MORE DETAILED ANSWER:
There are a number of combinations of training, experience, military, and education that can qualify one for an SSPO warrant. SP Danvers is home to the MSP Certification Unit which handles SSPO and Private Detective Licensure. The Colonel can change requirements at his(/her) discretion or will, so your best bet is to contact SP Danvers for a current list of requirements and/or acceptable combinations for SSPO warrant issuance.

The contact person is Ms. Dina Guanci

Certification Unit, 485 Maple Street, Danvers, MA 01923, Tel.- (978) 538-6128

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
I want to add something to this that may or MAY NOT be true.

I was informed that State Agencies such as State Colleges or DMH or DPH Police officers are not allowed a waiver. I was told that they MUST attend the SSPO.

Maybe someone can verify this is true or not?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your input. I am going to write the MSP Certification Unit and get the current list. Union1, I'll be sure to ask about that too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts