Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a question: Since we all know MPTC will not give full time credit (Nor part time for that matter) for the SSPO Academy, and for obvious reasons nor will they give full credit for the Reserve/Intermittant Academy.. Question is, has anyone ever herd of them combining the two and granting a full time waiver for the two academies combined?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does not happen. That quesion has been asked of MPTC a number of times. They dont recognize a minute of the SSPO. So in their eyes, if you have only been through the R/I even if you have been to both.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
If someone has a minute, could you summarize the SSPO training & Reserve training and the differences between the 2?

How long, live in \ commute, curriculums, granted authority once certified, etc. Thanks!

"That's Right! I'm Kozmo Kramer, The Ass-Man!..."

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roughly Reserve Academy is

half the time (10 or 11 weeks) is all Law work

The other half is DT, Patrol Procedure, and all your certifications.

A serarate section is put aside for first responder and firearms. Fire responder took like 8 weeks or so.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
The SSPO acadmey is getting yelled at for 16 weeks. folding shirts and socks, PT for around 2 hours a day. Getting yelled at some more. very little mas law, good amount of defensive tatics. patrol procedures usually consisting of watching cops eposides. and many open blocks of instruction which usually means Drill and cermonies marching inspections and getting yelled at. I know first hand im a sspo graduate. No firearms at least that was the case with my class. No court room procedures. No constitutional law. But we did have access control systems and sprinklers systems identification course.

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the flip side, my SSPO had 40 hours con law & 40 hours criminal law taught by the RTT's instructors and the RTT's con and crim law tests. 40 hours DT, 40 hours APP, 40 hours 1st resp, a block of courtroom procedure, evidence seizure, fingerprinting, SFST. There were many other items added to it, but very few classes in the collegiate "res-life" stuff.

SSPO now equals 640 hours of trianing. R/I = 120 hours.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
I heard from my Chief that there is a whole new curriculum that the MPTC wants to develop in conjuction with state community colleges, similar to Florida where you get your FT academy certificate when you graduate from the CJ college and then just do APP and Firearms with the hiring department. Word has it that this is all part of the re-organization that happened within the former MCJTC. Chiefs also love this program. I also heard that self sponsoring would be discontinued since it would no longer be needed as you just enroll in college and finish the curriculum.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been hearing the same thing for months now. When will this idea come into reality?

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
The SSPO acadmey is getting yelled at for 16 weeks. folding shirts and socks, PT for around 2 hours a day. Getting yelled at some more. very little mas law, good amount of defensive tatics. patrol procedures usually consisting of watching cops eposides. and many open blocks of instruction which usually means Drill and cermonies marching inspections and getting yelled at. I know first hand im a sspo graduate. No firearms at least that was the case with my class. No court room procedures. No constitutional law. But we did have access control systems and sprinklers systems identification course.
As a graduate of the last SSPO..I can tell you that they have improved on the Consitional law however the Mass law part needs improvment still...Dt and Patrol procedures was very good and we did do 3 days of firearms safety...the report writing class has also improved as well...We also had mock trials in conjuction with reports that we had to write on scenarios we did..so overall some of those areas have improved..they also cut down on the access control and fire stuff...and of course all the screaming and yelling and tossing rooms still goes on.... :mrgreen:

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Good to hear that they are improving. The closest I got to see to a mock trial was the mock court room when I was moving furniture

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
2 things..

1) If the Law portion of SSPO sucks, then don't expect MPTC to accept it anytime soon.

2) I heard from an academy Instructor that they (MPTC & Chiefs Assoc.) are really pushing for the new FT academy gig... It was explained that it would consist of about 5 weeks a classes (crim law, procedure, etc..). All that would be needed to be FT certified is the 5 weeks of classroom and pass the PAT. There would be NO PT in this "new" academy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, Ok! Maybe they should combine the reserve and full time so I dont't have to goto the State Police full time academy. Ohh boy!! Maybe If I wish enough I'll also win the lottery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The SSPO was created for Campus Police Officers to receive formalized training, however it will never be seen as an equivalent to the MPTC Recruit Academy. This was done to restrict the newly trained officers to get the academy and leave for a municipal job. At least that is what I have been told.

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Pretty much that is what my class was told to..that colleges didn't wan't officers leaving for city and town jobs...What these folks fail to realize is some of us will leave for a city or a town job anyway...and having talked to officers that have gone through both the fulltime MPOC and SSPO....the SSPO is right up there...it completely amazes me that a commitee of liberal academics got together and decided that our training shouldn't be reccognized on the outside...because they're afraid people are going to leave..honestly what a waste!!!...I hope to hell that this commitee applies some common sense and the SSPO can somehow get factored in..Although I highly dobt it :BM:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Well.......................

Don't forget SSPO is recognized by lot's of other states than Mass as equivalent to their FT POST academies!
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
5 weeks , you got to be kidding me. I went 22 weeks and it sucked, 5 weeks would be a stupid ass inservice. Another thing that sucks about this new curriculum is that the standard is way low and there will be no paramilitary discipline taught. Allot of people will probably not make probation on their new departments. I still heard the academy would be long but over the summer and implemented with a CJ degree.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
j809 @ Mon 28 Jun said:
5 weeks , you got to be kidding me. I went 22 weeks and it sucked, 5 weeks would be a stupid ass inservice. Another thing that sucks about this new curriculum is that the standard is way low and there will be no paramilitary discipline taught. Allot of people will probably not make probation on their new departments. I still heard the academy would be long but over the summer and implemented with a CJ degree.
Can we clarify something here.. Can someone say if this new academy thing is just rumor or can anyone actualy provide to the board some type of documentation or facts "like when will it start" as to the change?

I would also like to ask what other states recognze as a whole "Not Just towns" that will accept the SSPO academy?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I went to the SSPO and the MPOC, the SSPO was the same shit, MORE con and crim law I might add in the SSPO. The only diference is the MPOC shoves a bunch of Community Policing type cources down your throat that only waste time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.