Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body know what the current requirements for obtaining a waiver of the special state police academy is? I know these were given at one point with a reserve academy + associates degree formula. Any thoughts on this?
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
I ran into some problems over the summer when I was going to work PT for a college in Western Mass. The chief applied for the waiver but was declined, becuase even though I had more credits than an Associates Degree in CJ, I did not have a paper degree to present. I had the R/I academy, and 93 credits in CJ. So the Associates Degree in CJ and the R/I academy waiver is still in effect. I am not sure about the other waivablility options.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
Pearl,

One of waiver criteria is the MCJTC R/I Academy in combination with the completion of an approved Basic Correction Officer Training Course (either DOC or Sherriff's Dept.) so if its for you, you should be good to go.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
530 Posts
I know this requirement from talking to my LT. If you do not go to the SSPO academy the waiver requirements are
1) Associates Degree in Criminal Justice and MCJTC Reserve Academy
2) BS in Criminal Justic and MCJTC Reserve Academy
3) Full time MCJTC academy
4)AS or BS in criminal justice and Military Police school I knew a guy who got his powers off the US army military Police school

I just suffered in the SSPO academy
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
:dito: :spank: ](*,) :FT:
Same Here ECPD

One more scenario
2yrs=4000hrs as a campus police officer (unlicensed) + MCJTC basic reserve
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,658 Posts
Simple way to put it is you need any combination of TWO (2):

1. Reserve/Int academy (or higher)
2. Associates Degree (or higher)
3. 4000 hours (2 years equivalent) Sworn experience.

Any Two of the above= SSPO waiver
:wink:

Got it now?

P.S. I'm gonna want to call B.S. on that MP experience counting. Danvers said no way to a guy at DMH a while back!
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allrighty,

Anybody know where there is a written document describing this? There are obviously a few discreprencies.

Irishpride,

Yes, this is for me. If the MCJTC Reserve Academy plus DOC academy thing is fact, then I'm all set.

My other question is the associates degree angle. I have seventy something credits. The standard for an associates program is sixty credits. Any body have any experience with this working or not working? Just thinking ahead for something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
waiver

What if your attending college for your associates and you have the reserve academy, will they waive it then, even though your attempting to complete your degree?
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,658 Posts
PearlOnyx said:
Allrighty,

Anybody know where there is a written document describing this? There are obviously a few discreprencies.

My other question is the associates degree angle. I have seventy something credits. The standard for an associates program is sixty credits. Any body have any experience with this working or not working? Just thinking ahead for something.
Pearl,

Just contact the MSP Licensing Unit @ Danvers for requirements. I used to drop off annual certification paperwork there for DMH at the last minute. (Thanks Carl!)
As far as your seventy credits, scroll back up to Mikey's post above!

The three (3) qualifiers that I listed previously are it. Any two (2) of them will do. And I did forget that MPOC is qualifying as well.

BHCCPD,
4000 hours Campus Police (unlicensed)?= WTF?
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
288 Posts
The Alaska state police take the MP school with a couple extra weeks of training if anyone is interested..... :lol:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I contacted the certification unit today, but the secretary is on vacation for a week. The Lieutenant there just transferred there and wasn't sure of the requirements. I'll call back in a week or so, and post the results here.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
530 Posts
mpd61 said:
Simple way to put it is you need any combination of TWO (2):

1. Reserve/Int academy (or higher)
2. Associates Degree (or higher)
3. 4000 hours (2 years equivalent) Sworn experience.

Any Two of the above= SSPO waiver
:wink:

Got it now?

P.S. I'm gonna want to call B.S. on that MP experience counting. Danvers said no way to a guy at DMH a while back!
Im going to challange this one it has happened we had an officer in my department that had the MP academy and some college. He got his powers. The officer did this in 1998. So in closing We mock what we don't understand
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
mpd61 said:
PearlOnyx said:
Allrighty,

Anybody know where there is a written document describing this? There are obviously a few discreprencies.

My other question is the associates degree angle. I have seventy something credits. The standard for an associates program is sixty credits. Any body have any experience with this working or not working? Just thinking ahead for something.
Pearl,

Just contact the MSP Licensing Unit @ Danvers for requirements. I used to drop off annual certification paperwork there for DMH at the last minute. (Thanks Carl!)
As far as your seventy credits, scroll back up to Mikey's post above!

The three (3) qualifiers that I listed previously are it. Any two (2) of them will do. And I did forget that MPOC is qualifying as well.

BHCCPD,
4000 hours Campus Police (unlicensed)?= WTF?
Hey sub-commander,
we have officers working for campuses in massachusetts who are not licensed. Two years + Reserve Academy=SSPO qualifys thats WTF
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,658 Posts
BHCCPD said:
mpd61 said:
PearlOnyx said:
Allrighty,

BHCCPD,
4000 hours Campus Police (unlicensed)?= WTF?
Hey sub-commander,
we have officers working for campuses in massachusetts who are not licensed. Two years + Reserve Academy=SSPO qualifys thats WTF
BHCCPD,

When you say "officers who are not licenced" do you mean sworn police under Like MGL CH 73 Sect.18 or with sheriff's powers? Can you please clarify?

Bottom line is ANY two years, 4000 hours SWORN experience (as Police Officer) is part of the formula. The term "unlicensed" seems to need clarification. Please?
:wink:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was actually thinking more about what Irishpride had said about Reserve Academy + DOC academy qualifying for a waiver. At first, I thought "No Way", but now that I think about it, DOC IPS, Perimeter Security, K9, Transportation, Hospital Teams etc. are all sworn Special State Police. Anybody have any further information on Reserve + DOC for a waiver? or how those powers are issued and the training required?
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,658 Posts
Only one thing is for sure. Over the years the Certification Unit in Danvers has been arguably inconsistent in the waiver policy.

Last I knew Capt. Brian Lilly was running the show, was accessable and I also dealt with Dina G. there. Now I hear they have a new Lt. in charge, so who knows?

I worked at DMH with a former Conrail Cop (8 years FT) with degree and New Jersey Certified academy. This person also had a MASS SSPO warrant as a railroad cop. When CSX took over, the CR cops were all layed-off. When we hired and went for a new SSPO Licence (2001) they denied it!
:shock:

In any event, there are just too many rumors and flavors about this topic.
I give up!
:?
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Why get a waiver. Its better to go to the academy and get the trainng, it may be useful if you want to leave the state and take a municipal job else where. Florida approved my S.S.P.O trainng for a lateral, but I ended up not going.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,658 Posts
Macop said:
Why get a waiver. Its better to go to the academy and get the trainng, it may be useful if you want to leave the state and take a municipal job else where. Florida approved my S.S.P.O trainng for a lateral, but I ended up not going.
Hey you old Hound! Still in H-town?
:D
The reason most people are looking to get waivers is that many agencies are looking to hire waiverable bodies, so they don't have to pay$$$$ to send em to New Braintree.
:(
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top