Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
City of 300,000.* Just my estimate after working there over the years and seeing how many permanent residents were “just here visiting” or “hadn’t changed their address”. It’s one giant cesspool.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
City of 300,000.* Just my estimate after working there over the years and seeing how many permanent residents were “just here visiting” or “hadn’t changed their address”. It’s one giant cesspool.
Pretty disheartening to see. I’ve been keeping a close eye on CS registrations for this 2021 exam to see what the interest level is like among the public. There was an article out of Springfield recently, before this one, that said back in early February they only had 90 applicants! That’s absolutely horrific to see, thankfully they seemed to pick up before the deadline date now at 200

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,428 Posts
And of 200, how many have no real chance of being hired, between a failing score, failed background check or just rethink the idea of getting into this profession? Well, I hope they can hire at least 30.

Reactions: DPH1992

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And of 200, how many have no real chance of being hired, between a failing score, failed background check or just rethink the idea of getting into this profession? Well, I hope they can hire at least 30.
Exactly, or worse yet they start to be more lenient on the backgrounds. That’s the predicament departments will be in over the next few years. Do you keep the background and qualifiers as stringent as they are now or were, but risk not having enough applicants to fill retirements? Or do you ease up the qualifications, maybe overlook a few things on a background and fill enough retirement spots?

·
Super Moderator
6,596 Posts
Exactly, or worse yet they start to be more lenient on the backgrounds. That’s the predicament departments will be in over the next few years. Do you keep the background and qualifiers as stringent as they are now or were, but risk not having enough applicants to fill retirements? Or do you ease up the qualifications, maybe overlook a few things on a background and fill enough retirement spots?
I would like to see a study done on who is a bigger problem for departments. Older candidates with a few minor violations, or a 21 year old candidate with a clean record who has either never been caught, or never been in a tough spot before.

Reactions: Goose

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to see a study done on who is a bigger problem for departments. Older candidates with a few minor violations, or a 21 year old candidate with a clean record who has either never been caught, or never been in a tough spot before.
I’ve been saying for years departments should ease up on minor infringements. Now, it makes more sense than ever only because of recruitment numbers being so down. I agree, depends of course what we consider “minor”. I think “minor” also needs to be put in context in terms of time passed. For example, if some 30 year old applicant got pulled over when he was 21 with a slight buzz, do you overlook that if he’s clean otherwise? I’d say yeah personally, but if he was pulled over when he was 28 or something and only two years has passed, has he really learned his lesson.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts