Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on those spring assisted knives. Are they covered under 269/10?

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction

·
Registered
874 Posts
As far as I know, spring assisted knives are legal. The difference of course being that automatics are opened purely mechanically, while spring assisted needs to be manually activated by the user before the spring will kick in,

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Gil I am not 100 % on this but I believe they are ok. A friend of mine bought one at a hunting and fishing expo at the centrum a few years ago and he told me it came with a letter from the AGs office stating it complied with Ma law.
I currently carry one myself on duty. It is a Kershaw "black out"
Great knife! !

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Does having a blade over one and one half inches pertain to the the prior sentence or is this a separate criteria violation to 269/10 Example such as carrying a 4 inch steak knife next to you while operating your vehicle. :idea: :idea: :idea: :shock:

Sorry Gill not to ignore your question but this may answer your question as well.

I have debated this MGL for years!!!

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches

Since it does not have ,or just , a "reasonable" person would interpt it to be one thought. While the others lead the reader to believe seprete thoughts.

My interp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Irish Wamponag---

I am pretty sure you can carry an size single sided blade you want. (unless of course it "disturbes the peace".) Good Ol Cap't Eugenio (ret) was the one that told us that info bout 4 years ago in the Plymouth Police Academy!

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Gil, is it a simple push button a "sping" outcomes the blade? Or to you have to kind of push the blade out with your thumb then the spring action kicks in? Does it lock in place?

When in doubt, research the definition of a "Dirk Knife" :wink: That covers more than you'll know

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dangerous weapon per se:

any stilletto, dagger or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release deice by which the blad is released from the handle, having a hlade of over 1 and 1 1/2 inches.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You simply slide a thumb type release slightly to one side and then the spring kicks in opening the knife and yes it locks in position.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would hang my hat on how I articulate "dangerous weapon" and not get hung up on the size and spring. Don't forget, a half inch blade that manually slides into the handle (box cutter) took down three planes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts