Sponsored Cadet - Firearms/Bulletproof Vest Questions | MassCops

Sponsored Cadet - Firearms/Bulletproof Vest Questions

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Amara157, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Amara157

Amara157 New Member

I am in the process of becoming a sponsored cadet for the Plymouth Police Academy. Since I will be a sponsor, I am required to purchase a Glock 23 which is listed on the equipment list. I would like to buy a Gen 4. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon Glock's Blue Label Program which includes academy cadets (phew). Do the blue label Glock's come with three MA compliant 10 round magazines or the standard 13? I ask because I want to use this weapon as my personal carry weapon not just for law enforcement (the academy) purposes. Additionally, does Law Enforcement Equipment (Glock Blue Label Distributor) in Waltham normally have Blue Labels in stock or are they ordered?

I believe on another thread someone stated I could have the chief sign a letter to authorize the sale of the Glock for law enforcement purposes without the acceptance letter from the academy, could this be done for the bulletproof vest as well? Regency in Hyannis says they need the letter before I get fitted but I will be sending in my completed application close to the Feb. 28th deadline (March 31st start date).

Are there any ammunition dealers that have a discount for cadets similar to Glock's Blue Label Program, I've researched and found that I'll need roughly 1000 -1500 rounds. Anything I can save being a sponsored cadet goes a long way, it is an expensive endeavor.

I appreciate all the feedback.

2. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

You can ask if you can buy ammo through department on state bid, or call AAA Police Supply. Maybe he can help.

BTW... Glock may allow cadets on the program, but interstate takes a very narrow view of blue label program in Ma. You might not get anywhere with them direct. Check with Dennis at First Defense. You'll need a letter at bare minimum from Chief.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

LawMan3 likes this.
  3. Dan Stark

And yes... You will get mass Nanny mags

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Hush likes this.
  4. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Don't go through Interstate until you check elsewhere.

5. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I wouldn't buy a brand new vest for the academy. Get measured so you know what your measurements are then go online...bulletproofme.com sells gently used vests. The PD sponsoring you might have an old one you could borrow. Hell, folks on here might have one you could borrow. When you get to a department they will most likely buy one for you anyway.

Hush likes this.
  6. pb425

pb425 New Member

I too put myself through the academy and recently graduated. My sponsoring department allowed me to use one of their spare firearms for the week at the range. I am guessing that you already have, but if you have not you should contact someone at your sponsoring agency to see if they have a gun that you can use. I know the equipment list on the MPTC website says that you need to use a Glock 23 if your a self sponsor but you are also allowed to use the weapon that your sponsoring department carries, that was actually preferred by the firearms instructors at my academy. As for the MPTC equipment list, that is not exhaustive, you'll get an equipment list at orientation that will probably have a whole bunch of stuff on it that you didn't realize you were going to need.

As for ammunition, I purchased mine from Jurek Brothers (http://www.jurekbrothers.com). I got 1250 rounds of 40 cal and it cost around $300. The prices there are usually pretty good so I would give them a call. I also wouldn't order any ammo until you are guaranteed a spot in the academy, make it through day one, and know when you will be at the range.

As mentioned in a previous post, don't buy a new vest. You can definitely find someone to give you one if you ask the right people. I was able to borrow one as were the other self sponsors in my class. You don't wanna spend $800 on a vest if you don't absolutely have to. There will be many unexpected expenses throughout your experience and unless you have a good amount of money saved up, you'll burn through it quickly. I am speaking from experience.

I hope this helped and message me if you have any questions, I was in your shoes not long ago and wished I had asked more questions then.

Good Luck.

7. Goose

FYI to those not in the know - very few (if any) ammunition vendors will ship to MA due to the fact that the AG's office has sent out letters out in the past threatening to sue them if they do so.

If you cannot buy ammunition through your sponsoring department, it might be a good idea to find out where the department buys their ammo and contact the vendor and explain you are on a tight budget and putting yourself through the academy and ask to buy a couple cases of ammo at the same price they charge to the department.

Alternative options would be to shop online and have the ammo shipped to you at the department (with permission, of course) or to a friend or family member at an out of state address.

And, there is always Walmart if you can actually find ammo in stock and a box limit isn't going to prevent you from getting enough ammo.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts

8. Ptac

Ptac MassCops Member

Gotta respectfully disagree. If he's going to be buying a new Gen4 gun it'll come with the new mag (at the least) with the gun. Should be a 13 rd.

Now here's the tricky part, he'll get through with an ID and letter from department to get the gun, but that doesn't cover the possession of the mags (that should be given with new gun). Nothing in 140 131M says "cadets' it just says exception for Law Enforcement and retired. So doubt that would cover him for possession of them if someone wanted to poke him.

Now I DOUBT/HOPE none of the guys would bang him for the mags if he was caught, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard it so it's only fair disclosure he might get screwed for them.

OP- are you already hired by the Department? Are they paying you through the Academy with an ID and everything? Just curious, we have quite a few guys/ girls also attending that same academy.

9. Rock

Rock Undefined

Beat me to it

10. Dan Stark

Well ptac. You'd respectfully be wrong. I just bought a gen 4 g23 through department on blue label program. 3 nanny mags new in box.

11. Goose

Don't forget the routine traffic stop!

12. Goose

haha.png

visible25 likes this.
  13. Amara157

Amara157 New Member

Thank you for all the responses.

Wolfman, I realized this as I posted the thread, "body armor" is the correct term.

Ptact, I am a sponsored cadet (in patch only), no employment contract.

As an update, I have ordered a vest from bulletproofme.com and will arrive on friday. I have also contacted my local gun shop and they would give me an ammo discount, $600 for 1,500 .40 SW.
    I just got off the phone with my sponsoring chief and he stated that EVERYTHING including patrol jacket, rain coat, service cap etc will need to be purchased. These things I thought the department would have extras of, but I guess I'll be flipping the bill for those items as well.

I'll be sending in my app on friday after I have all the completed forms. Hopefully I'll get the acceptance letter being 5th tier as a sponsored cadet.

14. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Even through TR? Fuck sake......

Dan Stark likes this.
  15. Dan Stark

One from him, only 2 mags

One from another vendor 3 mags

Both blue label

Johnny Law likes this.
  16. pb425

pb425 New Member

Amara,

As I mentioned in my previous post, self sponsoring is very expensive and I guarantee there will be a number of other expenses that you have not thought of. I don't mean to sound negative but I would seriously consider waiting until you know you will be going to the academy to buy most of the stuff. The MPTC equipment list is does not have everything that you will need for the academy on it. If you do end up going to plymouth you will receive an equipment list at orientation... I wouldn't buy anything until you have that list in your hands.

Ammo... call Jurek Brothers and explain to them that you are self sponsoring. I know for certain that they can beat $600 for 1500 rounds of 40 S&W.

I don't how much space is available in the Plymouth academy, but with the new civil service list out theres a pretty good chance its filling up quickly. My department is sending three. Hopefully you get in, but if not you should look into the Lowell academy that starts in June, they have had self sponsors recently. MIT is also offering a scholarship for self sponsors that you should look into.

Message me if you have questions

17. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon MassCops Member

For all those who self sponsored, how were you able to pay monthly bills? I was just recently given the opportunity to be sponsored for the full time academy, but i just dont know how to make it work? Is it easy to find a job with the full time academy? I'm just looking for some feedback any information would be great.

18. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

I was not a self sponsor, but how about taking out a personal loan for about $10,000 while you're still employed so that you can be approved for the loan?

19. Goose

My wife and I moved in with the in-laws and I lived off of about $5k in savings while in the academy. She kept working at the time and we really didn't have many bills at the time so we were pretty lucky.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts

20. USAMass90

USAMass90 MassCops Member

I recently attended the Plymouth Police Academy (Sept 2013). There are added items you will need/want on your list. Remember to get to Andrea's who sells the water bottle holders at $20 a pop. NO LOGOS whatsoever on any of your equipment. Order "Aero Tech Designs" compression shorts on Amazon. Cheap & no logos. -- The range we were required to have 1200 Rounds. -- On your Vest, Duty Belt, Cuffs, Inert OC, Gun, Ammo, Cruiser, etc. You do not need to bring that with you on the first day. You won't need that until several weeks into the academy. So don't stress over that to start off. Just PAY ATTENTION at orientation because they will tell you EXACTLY what they want for equipment. Some does deviate from the list. In addition, they add other items as well.

For the person who asked about maintaining a job during the academy. You can TRY, but all the power to you. You will be writing TO-FROMS almost every night, studying for tests on the weekends, in addition the academy director likes to assign several books to read coupled with 4-8 page (single spaced) To-Froms respectively. The academy consumes your life during the 21 weeks.

Oh... At orientation you will get a list of spelling words. STUDY THEM...

And your correct title is a "Student Officer"

Fire away with questions and I will do the best I can.

KSilva29 likes this.
  21. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon MassCops Member

Have you a job yet? how many other sponsors were in your class?

22. Chip

Chip MassCops Member

The list was full of full time officers so sponsors got the boot for this academy.

USAMASS: Regarding the logos, I bought Russell clothing with a "R" on the bottom of the sweatshirt and on the PT pants. Would they count this as a logo? What brand did you buy?

23. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Yes that's a logo, get your sweats at Andreas

24. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

There is a dude named CUZ and his boy DAWG who hang in an Escalde on the corner of Blue Hill Ave and the Franklin Park Zoo. They can probably get you a deal on the Glock, ammo, and the vest. Just tell them you are going to be a cop and they will expedite the order. They do not need a letter or any of that nonsense.

wwonka likes this.
  25. countymountie

countymountie MassCops Member

^ I can see that lady's bum