Speeding Ticket Questions | MassCops

Speeding Ticket Questions

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by BB123, Jun 23, 2016.

1. BB123

BB123 New Member

I received a speeding ticket on the Mass Pike & I have a few questions...
    I'll start by premising that I am an idiot. I was definitely speeding, I was late and a little panicked so I won't even try to defend myself against that but I am looking for a little guidance.
    Essentially what happened was I was driving down the mass pike and I saw the lights (no sirens). I was in the far left lane and I did not see them immediately, It was the brightest part of the day and I was driving on auto pilot, I was pretty tired (9 hour late night shift) and I not focused at all.
    The cop was pretty upset, I pulled into the left lane as soon as I saw him, which made him more upset because I did not know you had to pull to the right, it didn't seem safe since I had to pull across three lanes full of cars. I was pretty scared, I finally pulled over to the right and he was really angry at this point. He collected my license and registration, said something about how stupid I was (not entirely unfair) and threw the ticket on the left seat telling me the instructions were on the back, no questions or explanations.
    Its a really big ticket ($355), I am kinda scared. I didn't appeal because I don't have a defense and I really didn't want to see the officer again, I was very intimidated and he was clearly pissed and has a lot more power on his side than I do. I have no legal knowledge and I just wanted to pay the ticket, lesson learned.
    But I was unable to come up with the money so the ticket grew and now apparently my license is going to be suspended because it was technically three violations -- so traffic school AND late fees, so I have a month to come up with $455 now plus $135 for driving school and I am stressed out, my insurance is going to go up -- I don't know what my options are if I have any. I'm on my own, financially, and I NEED my car to work. I am going over to see a hearings officer tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes, but does anyone have any supportive advice? Outside of "don't speed." because I know.

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Pay it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

Plead guilty and ask to go on a payment plan, $20.00 a week or something. Or risk having your car impounded on your next stop.
    Your choice.

4. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Yeah, normally I just read these for the entertainment value of the sarcastic comments and don't bother adding any fuel to the fire.

However, since you come across as a regular person, I'll give some real advice. I'll prolly regret it, but here goes.

Go to the hearing. Be honest, and tell your side of the story. Be honest about your financial situation - don't lie or exaggerate. Ask for some help on working out a payment plan you can afford. Be respectful of the magistrate. That's pretty much it.

felony and Goose like this.
  5. felony

felony MassCops Member

I think you should call up E Troop HQ and file a formal complaint. Who is the trooper to insult your intelligence? You should have told the Trooper, next time to activate his emergency lights AND siren, in order to properly facilitate a MV Stop. I hope when you pulled to the right, it was on the median, which is the safest spot.

6. usaf1199a

usaf1199a MassCops Member

Appeal the cite. Go to the magistrate hearing. Either way, it will more than likely benefit you. If you're not a complete d-bag, 9 times out of 10 they will reduce the civil assessment (fine) OR you will be found not responsible. There is NO legal defense to speeding in MA. You could be on fire racing to a body of water and it wouldn't matter. It you end not being satisfied with the magistrate hearing, you could pay to take it to a judge but get ready to look like an idiot because more than likely you will be found responsible and instead of giving some sort of a mediocre defense to the magistrate, you will get to do it in front of Defendant Joe Shitbag, who according to his attorney is vigorously trying to get his GED while working part time at the Shell station. AND you will get the SAME results. The civil standard, which is what a speeding citation would encompass is based on the preponderance of the evidence, that is to say "more likely than not." You're welcome.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  7. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

$355, so you were going 100. Your an idiot go away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob MassCops Member

...and turn in your man card.