Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got pulled over on Route 9 in Natick by a parked officer with Lidar, aiming into oncoming traffic. From a cluster, he picked me out and waved me in - to which I obeyed. He showed me his Lidar had registered a speed of 70 mph (40 mph zone, clearly posted). I was shocked at the speed he showed me, but said nothing. I received a fairly expensive ticket with minimal dialogue exchanged.

I am planning on taking the ticket to court because I was not speeding. I have never earned a speeding ticket and have only been pulled over once in 20 years of driving for having a headlight out. I'm not sure how it's possible that he had 70 mph showing on his Lidar, but there must be some type of error here. Driving 70 mph in that area would be suicidal - something I am not. I am certain I was driving just UNDER 40 mph, approaching a traffic light (red at the time).

I don't know much about Lidar, other than the accuracy is supposed to be very reliable when aimed properly and that (I think) they auto self-calibrate. I went back to the location where the officer was and took a few pictures to confirm that the line of sight that he had was interrupted by 4 support columns of an overpass, and a speed limit street sign facing straight at his line of sight. I was also behind a car as I approached his position head on - mostly hidden by the car in front of me (the other car wasn't speeding either).

I'm a law abiding citizen with several friends who are police officers in NH and they've suggested I post my questions on this board because they've heard good things about it. Does anybody have any words of advice? I really feel like I'm getting screwed here.

Thanks to all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help so far (kwflatbed, justanotherparatrooper, and Barbrady) - I'll continue my research on Lidar to determine if any breaks in the line of sight can cause errant readings during ranging measurements.

Officer Barbrady - What's a gig line, and why would it need to be straight?

As I recalled my experience for this post, and as I read feedback on similar topics of other posts, I get worried that things might not pan out the way they should. I'll have to keep a positive attitude and think through how to plead my case, but not being a well spoken person with a hearing problem, I'll certainly have the jitters.
Since I've never been to court before, I don't know what to expect. I have a feeling it'll be pretty straightforward, but if there's any "definitely don't" comments out there, please feel free to shout them out.

Again thanks to all. I'm glad I signed up for this board, I've learned a lot in a very short time.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
LIDAR is more accurate than RADAR by a long shot. Speaking of long shots, he could have nailed you at 1000' and the LIDAR beam would only be 3 feet wide. That's less than half the average car width. That he hit you in a group of cars makes no difference, one can selectively aim the LIDAR beam at individual cars within a group.

Good luck trying to beat it. My partner had an EPA lawyer contest his LIDAR ticket, and if that shyster couldn't beat it I'm not too hopeful about yours.

BTW, a little known fact about MA. law is......if the officer wasn't wearing his hat when he issued you a ticket, then the ticket doesn't count and you can disregard it with impunity.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
I've gotten people over 3200 feet away before.
I've come close to that footage, I mounted my LIDAR to a tripod for stability at that range.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went back to the location where the officer was and took a few pictures to confirm that the line of sight that he had was interrupted by 4 support columns of an overpass, and a speed limit street sign facing straight at his line of sight.
Well there ya go!! You obviously weren't doing 70mph, one of those items was.

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
BTW, a little known fact about MA. law is......if the officer wasn't wearing his hat when he issued you a ticket, then the ticket doesn't count and you can disregard it with impunity.
Jonny ya beat me to it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Was going to shut up and watch the flaming but I couldn't ....this whole post is exactly the "not me" attitude of today that drives me nuts....bear with me...lol

I'm a law abiding citizen
No you're not.....you're a speeder....last I checked obeying speed limit is the law in Massachusetts

with several friends who are police officers in NH and they've suggested I post my questions on this board because they've heard good things about it. Does anybody have any words of advice?
I have some advice for you. These days EVERYONE has a friend that's a cop. Your friends are SUCH GOOD friends that they sent you here instead of taing two seconds to tell you a little bit about Lidar and save you the shame. I guarantee they're looking for your post and the definate internet beating you're due.

I recently got pulled over on Route 9 in Natick by a parked officer with Lidar, aiming into oncoming traffic.
Since you're being painfully obvious...so shall I....that's how it is done.

I received a fairly expensive ticket with minimal dialogue exchanged.
When driving closer to twice the speed limit than the limit itself, citations do get expensive.

I am planning on taking the ticket to court because I was not speeding. I have never earned a speeding ticket and have only been pulled over once in 20 years of driving for having a headlight out. I'm not sure how it's possible that he had 70 mph showing on his Lidar, but there must be some type of error here. Driving 70 mph in that area would be suicidal - something I am not. I am certain I was driving just UNDER 40 mph, approaching a traffic light (red at the time).

Of course you're taking it to court. Couldn't be you speeding right? The percieved error here is in your operation, and far less likely the police officer. I'm sure the red light you were approaching was yellow at some point, and I am sure you weren't trying to beat the red light huh??
Oh ... and when you say you've never been pulled over it just tells most cops "I've never been caught before."

I don't know much about Lidar,

If you had posted this and stopped with an honest question, I am sure you would have recieved honest thoughtful answers. Instead you chose to insult the intelligence of one of our co-workers, then ask us how to make him look worse so you can evade your "screwing" by the police?? The act of "screwing" someone would be malicious and personal. I am certain that your ticket for doubling the speed limit was neither. And rather than admit you may have made a mistake and lost track of the speed you were going, instead of texting/reading/shaving/eating/drinking or any of the other absurd things police see people do when driving, OTHER THAN PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR SPEED AND CHANGING ROAD CONDITIONS...
It's always easier to blame the professional who does this daily.. with a certified and calibrated scientific speed measuring device... which measures your speed with a beam traveling the speed of light.....YEAH HIS FAULT NOT YOURS!!!
Oh and for the record...you earns those little gold stars in school when you're a child.....you GET citations for speeding. They are not a badge of honor.
Just my personal opinion....

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
-because I was not speeding. (1)

-I have never earned (2) a speeding ticket

-the line of sight that he had was interrupted by 4 support columns of an overpass, and a speed limit street sign facing straight at his line of sight. (3)
(1) :---)

(2) You have now...

(3) Really...I didnt know an officer couldnt possibly tweek the gun or his head to avoid a speed limit sign...

G

·
Now now, don't be giving false information to newbies. If you ignore the ticket, there are all sorts of sanctions. You have to appeal it, then explain to the clerk-magistrate that the officer wasn't wearing his/her hat. Then the citation is dismissed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.