Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Massachusetts, where i am from, it's called the PI Academy,

Permanent Intermittent Academy, None of my surrounding towns are sponsoring anyone, the sheriffs department is sending all there recruits thru the towns because MCJTC will not take any sheriffs.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Nuclearaudio said:
Massachusetts, where i am from, it's called the PI Academy,

Permanent Intermittent Academy, None of my surrounding towns are sponsoring anyone, the sheriffs department is sending all there recruits thru the towns because MCJTC will not take any sheriffs.
Funny, I'm from Massachusetts too, like 99% of this board, and it's called the Reserve Intermittent Academy....

http://www.mass.gov/mptc/reserve.htm

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
And now for a little background info from one of the "old-f*rts" on the boards.

The current way most folks refer to the partime academy is R/I academy or as Reserve/Intermittent. This is a contraction for the positions the academy was created for which was for Reserve Police Officers and Intermittent Police Offficers.Yes they were considered differant positions. Refer to MGL Chap 41 sec 96B. There are still communities in MA that officially consider the parttime officer's position as Permanent Intermitttent. The distinction historically was.... a Reserve Officer worked occasionally, or parttime and in all cases LESS than a 40hr week. A permanent Intermittent was utilized to fill in vacant fulltime positions until filled by a full time officer. These vacantcies may be from illness and prolonged Leave of Absenses or newly approved positions open while the recruits were in the academy. The Intermittent officer worked a full week wih full benefits however, could not work more than 11 concecutive months.
I think the blurring between the two positions occured because most Perminent Intermittents were also appointed Reserve Officers and worked the parttime shifts when not filling vacancies.

The purpose of this trip in history is to point out that Nuclearaudio is technically correct when refering to the PI academy and it is completely plausible that that is what the parttime academy is refered to in Nuclearaudio's community.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I graduated the MCJTC Police Academy back in the early 1980s, our certificate stated "Reserve/Intermittent Academy" on it. Our PD called us "Special POs", but a review of MGLs by a friend who was Chief in a North Shore community that used FT POs during the week and PT POs on the weekends (very small department, 8 or 9 total officers IIRC) proved to him that we were all mis-named. His review of MGLs proved to his satisfaction that Special POs were to be appointed strictly for businesses (and powers restricted to work location only) and that the proper term for what our towns did (his town called them Special POs also) was Reserve POs for reasons stated by texdep.

·
Registered
874 Posts
As stated try for an Aux dept or just random towns...even though they can sponsor you without hiring you at the end, most wont due to the risk of dragging their name through the mud if you turn out to be a sh*tbird. Also remember Harbormasters, state college PD's, and Sheriffs (yes thats been resolved) can also sponsor you. So go out there and try to make some new contacts, and dont give up. This is Mass, land of the hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When did they resolve the Sheriffs dept? i tried tking the Corrections officer test, looks liek they hired 99's and 100's. seeing as i gt a 96..,

As for Full time officers, can a College send a Hiree to the academy?, full time, or will that never return? was there some kind of lawsuit behind that, someone didn't get a job or sometihng?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
2-Delta said:
As stated try for an Aux dept or just random towns...even though they can sponsor you without hiring you at the end, most wont due to the risk of dragging their name through the mud if you turn out to be a sh*tbird. Also remember Harbormasters, state college PD's, and Sheriffs (yes thats been resolved) can also sponsor you. So go out there and try to make some new contacts, and dont give up. This is Mass, land of the hurry up and wait.
I was told as reciently as two months ago that Sheriff's Department's could NOT sponsor to the R/I Academy. I was told this by a training coordinator at the academy... go figure.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Nuclearaudio said:
When did they resolve the Sheriffs dept? i tried tking the Corrections officer test, looks liek they hired 99's and 100's. seeing as i gt a 96..,

As for Full time officers, can a College send a Hiree to the academy?, full time, or will that never return? was there some kind of lawsuit behind that, someone didn't get a job or sometihng?
Maybe they were looking for someone who could spell or write coherent sentences.

·
Registered
874 Posts
As I said before I have a friend who is attending the current R/I academy and he is in there with a handful of deputies as well as a couple asst.harbormasters and a few college po's (BSC PD i believe). Maybe the full time academy is another story as far as who can get sponsored etc.

G

·
2-Delta said:
As I said before I have a friend who is attending the current R/I academy and he is in there with a handful of deputies as well as a couple asst.harbormasters and a few college po's (BSC PD i believe). Maybe the full time academy is another story as far as who can get sponsored etc.
The MPTC stopped allowing non-city/town PD's from attending their in-service, simply because there was no room. That policy might have implemented for the full academy, also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts