Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if one went through the Massachusetts Special State Police Academy would this be honored as training by a city or town for a PI position or do you have to go through the Reserve Academy conducted by MMPTC/MCJTC???

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Chris!

I think you're screwed. Hasn't this been looked at many times before?:confused:

·
8,693 Posts
???? Screwed UMMM No:rolleyes: It just a question
Ahh, I think you took me wrong. In any event, a town can appoint PI's off the list and then send them to work, and subsequently, to the FT academy without worrying about the Res/Int academy. It's been done. In addition, I would think anybody who graduated SSPO and had full-time experience, would pretty much be put on with FTO until an MPOC slot came available.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, I think you took me wrong. In any event, a town can appoint PI's off the list and then send them to work, and subsequently, to the FT academy without worrying about the Res/Int academy. It's been done. In addition, I would think anybody who graduated SSPO and had full-time experience, would pretty much be put on with FTO until an MPOC slot came available.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
Dont get me wrong I am screwed in the head lol. I thought you were saying I was going to get screwed for asking the question:hump: I tried looking for it in the achieves no luck.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
I'm a little confused. You are asking if someone went to the SPA then they could get licensed as a Private Investigator by the State??

Here are the requirements to get licensed as a private investigator:

Chapter 147: Section 24. Applications; qualifications of applicants

Section 24. An application for a license to engage in the private detective business or a license to engage in the business of watch, guard or patrol agency shall be filed with the colonel of the state police on forms furnished by him, and statements of fact therein shall be under oath of the applicant. Such application shall include a certification by each of three reputable citizens of the commonwealth residing in the community in which the applicant resides or has a place of business, or in which the applicant proposes to conduct his business, that he has personally known the applicant for at least three years, that he has read the application and believes each of the statements made therein to be true, that he is not related to the applicant by blood or marriage, and that the applicant is honest and of good moral character. The applicant, or, if the applicant is a corporation, its resident manager, superintendent or official representative, shall be of good moral character, and, unless such application is for a license to engage in the business of watch, guard or patrol agency, shall have been regularly employed for not less than three years as a detective doing investigating work, a former member of an investigative service of the United States, a former police officer, of a rank or grade higher than that of patrolman, of the commonwealth, any political subdivision thereof or an official police department of another state, or a police officer in good standing formerly employed for not less than ten years with the commonwealth, or any political subdivision thereof or with an official police department of another state.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This points out the problems with having different certifications. One state, one academy, one certification. Maine, New Hampshire, even the feds are doing this now. Police Officers go through the Police Academy. Municipal, State, College, doesn't matter. State trooper RTT is an add on. Everyone gets the same training and it cuts down on ill will between agencies.

Not that it would ever work in Mass...

G

·
This points out the problems with having different certifications. One state, one academy, one certification. Maine, New Hampshire, even the feds are doing this now. Police Officers go through the Police Academy. Municipal, State, College, doesn't matter. State trooper RTT is an add on. Everyone gets the same training and it cuts down on ill will between agencies.

Not that it would ever work in Mass...
It probably wouldn't, because in MA there has been a long tradition of people getting the full academy from a campus or other "non-traditional" agency, then jumping ship for greener pastures at another department in part because they bring the academy certification with them.

If you think about it, the whole SSPO Academy is a stroke of genius by campus administrators; you get people certified to be police officers, but with certification that's effectively useless to most other police departments. It's almost like putting a kill switch in someone's resume.

·
8,693 Posts
If you think about it, the whole SSPO Academy is a stroke of genius by campus administrators; .
To say nothing of the fact it helps beef out the New Braintree Schedule and justify it when RTT's get less frequent.
:D

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
To say nothing of the fact it helps beef out the New Braintree Schedule and justify it when RTT's get less frequent.
:D
Valid points by both you and Delta. Let's not forget the MPTC, could step up and offer some type of law package to make SSPO graduates waiver eligible but they also have their interests to protect, ie filling their recruit classes. It seems like everyone wins under this arrangement but the poor S.O.B.'s who have to attend a 2nd Police recruit academy in order to become full time certified.

I am very curious as to what the answer to the intitial question is. You would think that it would be a no brainer, but all too often this state operates as if it has no brains. Anyone out there with 1st hand knowkedge ?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I could be wrong (theres a first time for everything!) but I think you can get a waiver from MPTC for the R/I academy qualifying you for a P/I job in a town. The only thing you'd have to do is go through in-service to get up to date. I will try to confirm that on Monday.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you think about it, the whole SSPO Academy is a stroke of genius by campus administrators;

Yes absolutely, if you look at it on a business perspective. They get officers fairly well trained and the academy is useless for consideration for a city or town academy waiver. Go figure!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Even states that have "one" academy often really have several. Texas has a "one" academy system where any department can hire someone with a TCLOSE police officer license but they don't. Go to any major dept or the Texas State police and you'll have to attend their specific academy. I know a guy who went through a six month academy for a major Texas PD. He said almost everyone in the academy had a basic TX police license to begin with. The guys with licenses just didn't have to take the state licensing exam at the end of the academy. You may also find that although several states may have the same academy for "police officers" they also have a watered down version for "peace officers", which may be part-timers or second tier campus police with limited powers.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I could be incorrect, but I dont know of any municipal police officers, part time or otherwise, who are working with only an SSPO academy. I'm pretty sure that MPTC requires that part time municipal officers have at least the R/I academy. I dont believe the SSPO, while being more intensive, is acceptable by the MPTC for a municipal part time position. The MPTC wants towns to pay for their reserve classes, they don't have any interest in allowing the State Police to collect the funds through the SSPO academy.

·
8,693 Posts
Let's not forget that scam SPOC academy to be a Boston Special (LMFAO)
:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts