Special police questions (Rule 400 only) | Page 3 | MassCops

Special police questions (Rule 400 only)

Discussion in 'Boston' started by dennis, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

Sorry for the following:

You little mother fucker. Serving this country is one of the most thankess jobs a person can do and surprisingly in this state the CS gave Vets preference. So as a simple thank you for being shot at, blown up, years away from your family, and earning less money than a window washer, maybe just maybe we deserve a little gratitude.

In additon asshole, non vets are getting on PD's just fine

Thanks guys for banning him because I can see some serious problem arising and did anyone else pick up the writing was like reading an 8th grade school girls journal.

Ok im done:sb:

2. mschumann

mschumann MassCops Member

I work for Longwood as a SPO and there are 2 thoughts ive had about this thread.

1. You have to have thick skin to get by as a Boston SPO. The ppl in the neighborhood's we patrol have little to no respect for us. People often say rude and disrespectful things to you... My suggestion to you... Learn how to take the good and leave the bad. Understand, that when you post a question on Masscops, you might have a few ppl offer some great information and another few that might give you crap. Take the good, leave the bad.

2. Take the next 2 years and mature. Yes, SPO's are low on the totum pole and Longwood is a Security company. But they do care a great deal about the integrity of their Officer's. Please change your attitude because thats not what Longwood is all about.

Also, Longwood is not on the decline! Its a great company with a good opportunity to get a taste of Law Enforcement.

3. changeover

changeover MassCops Member

Interesting thread....but I have a real question. I am currently working for campus safety at a college in Boston, unarmed with nothing but a flashlight and radio. They said they will sponsor for the SPO, I doubt they will pay for it. So my question is, is it worth going to this academy? Id like to have the OC, baton and handcuffs, they wont arm us but I was thinking of going to the MPTC in the fall so would this just be a waste of money? I just wanted to hear some opinions, thanks!

4. EnforceOfficer

EnforceOfficer New Member

I don't think any private security should have any sort of law enforcement powers, that's just my opinion...It's a slippery slope to private policing...

5. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.. This thread is a slippery slope.

6. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

I'm sure that echo's the opinion of some on here about enforcement personnel. :rolleyes:

7. EnforceOfficer

Great...Next complaint I that some homeless dude is collecting glass bottles from curbside recycling bins, I'll call you to deal with the matter...After taking complainants like above, you'll love having "Other" Enforcement Officers to take those calls...

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Take whatever training is offered, but if the choice is SSPO or MPTC, it's a no-brainer....go for the MPTC.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Been there, done that, and am doing that....our code enforcement people must be afraid of the dark, because none are on-duty past 4pm, which is when my workday starts.

9. EnforceOfficer

Fun times...How do you usually handle a call like that ?

I just tell them to stay off that street as there's been complaints...

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If they're drunk, then I'll P.C. them. If not, anything placed on the curb is basically abandoned property and therefore fair game, so I don't do anything. If they come onto private property, then it's trespassing.

11. EnforceOfficer

We have a municipal by-law against going through stuff placed at the curb for garbage collection, but I've only written the cite once as the guy was a jerk and half...I can't arrest for drunk in public, some of my counterparts in other provinces can...

12. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Hope you all know that the OP is a fictional charecter invented by arespected member. When I saw this thread pop up, I was getting flashbacks.

13. changeover

Oh of course I would take MPTC, but that is not till the fall for me, my thoughts for the SPO right now were getting the OC, baton etc. I just feel so unprotected at work with nothing but a flashlight...so in the mean time I figured it may be good like you said for the training aspect and the fact I only carry a flashlight, radio and latex gloves haha.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If you don't want to wait, your employer is willing to sponsor you twice, and you don't mind going through 2 academies, then go for both. I just can't picture any employer willing to give you the time off to attend both.

15. changeover

See the good thing about the SPO is, it is only two days a week from 0800 to 1630 and only 13 classes total so I technically wouldn't miss any time, I would just switch those days to my days off. The MPTC however is different , obviously I would need the time off for that. The department I work for is very simple and VERY helpful with this stuff. The Chief knows the people on here like myself are not going to be here for the long term so he likes to help out as much as he can, he's a truly great guy.

16. blueline990

blueline990 New Member

Take it as any L.E. Job is hard to come by. Just don't overstep your authority.

17. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I'm assuming you're referring to one of the Boston SPO courses offered by a private company? Even the reserve academy isn't offered two full days a week for 13 days.