Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
You have 5 years from the date you were last sworn in to get another position. That is how it would normally be.

Under police reform, like DPH1992 said, it is not known whether you will continue to be eligible.

Everyone is expected to attend the bridge unless you graduated from a full time academy, during a 3 year period where you must attend based on the first letter of your last name. So A-H should plan to attend in year 1, I-P in year 2, and Q-Z in year 3. Otherwise you get decertified. (I may be off by a letter or two, hopefully you get the idea)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have 5 years from the date you were last sworn in to get another position. That is how it would normally be.

Under police reform, like DPH1992 said, it is not known whether you will continue to be eligible.

Everyone is expected to attend the bridge unless you graduated from a full time academy, during a 3 year period where you must attend based on the first letter of your last name. So A-H should plan to attend in year 1, I-P in year 2, and Q-Z in year 3. Otherwise you get decertified. (I may be off by a letter or two, hopefully you get the idea)
Thanks for your help. Does that mean that after completing the bridge academy you can be hired as a full time officer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was an online zoom meeting today with the MPTC committee and it's going to pork a whole lot of reserve officers in Massachusetts. It hasn't been finalized, but those who only work details, even though sworn w/ full police powers (like myself), will not be eligible for the bridge academy. On top of that, you will need to show a minimum of 2400 hours/years of experience performing police duties within 5 yrs of June 2024 (potential date). Police Reform is actually going to turn into Defund the Police, especially for communities that rely on part time LE employees. Good luck everyone, I hope we all can file for unemployment benefits!!! Go screw Comm of Mass, you deserve what you get!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What happens to all the Special Officers? I went through the reserve academy in 2008. Haven’t worked for a PD since 2018.
Anyone know anymore about this? Updates?
There was an online zoom meeting today with the MPTC committee and it's going to pork a whole lot of reserve officers in Massachusetts. It hasn't been finalized, but those who only work details, even though sworn w/ full police powers (like myself), will not be eligible for the bridge academy. On top of that, you will need to show a minimum of 2400 hours/years of experience performing police duties within 5 yrs of June 2024 (potential date). Police Reform is actually going to turn into Defund the Police, especially for communities that rely on part time LE employees. Good luck everyone, I hope we all can file for unemployment benefits!!! Go screw Comm of Mass, you deserve what you get!
ever find out anymore info on this?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Anyone know anymore about this? Updates?

ever find out anymore info on this?
Unless you’re full-academy trained, or graduate the “Bridge Academy”, arrest powers are gone.

Auxiliary PD’s are going to have to transition to “Emergency Management” or fade away. Framingham Auxiliary just disbanded after 80 years of service.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
19,049 Posts
I can honestly understand a need and desire to have all people holding police powers meet a certain standard of training. Has this maybe gone a bit TOO far? I don't know for sure but I'm PRETTY sure that there has never been a real problem in Massachusetts where specials, auxiliaries and intermittents have been out of control rogue cops (sure, there are ex (and a cop, kinda);

When I was an Auxiliary in my home town, we would work LOADS of hours. Our primary task was keeping an eye on the schools. But we'd work church crossings on Sunday and special events such as the 4th of July celebration, primarily doing traffic before and after. We were added eyes and ears for the PD, only really stepping in when asked and rarely did any of our people overstep. When they did, OUR administration were the toughest about it (after the Regulars reamed their asses). We provided a valuable service (our guys caught the kids who had been doing a number on one of the Jr. HSs) and saved the tax payers LOADS of money.

Now, MANY Years later, I'm happy to see so many of the local PD Officers making a nice bit of extra money, both from a cop AND union member standpoint, but I can't help but think, how many folks wanting to break into the field will be denied an opportunity for some REAL experience and how much extra money will be paid by the tax payers for jobs that were once done by volunteers. It's a conundrum. But, seeing the writing on the wall, I bid farewell to a load of very dedicated VOLUNTEERS, thank them for their heart felt service and wonder, are we really doing the right thing to the extent it is?

Emergency Management WILL be more in line with the original purpose of the Auxiliary Police under Civil Defense, unquestionably, but still....

DAMMIT! I hadn't watched the video before typing all that. It's long enough but I feel I HAVE TO ADD: I feel that EVERY SINGLE TAX PAYER living in a city or town that is losing their Auxiliary Police to reform, MUST watch this video to see what is happening because of people with NO knowledge of any kind of Police Work has deemed appropriate and send their tax bill to the homes of these people saying, "OK, YOU Pay the extra, FUCKTARD!"

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can honestly understand a need and desire to have all people holding police powers meet a certain standard of training. Has this maybe gone a bit TOO far? I don't know for sure but I'm PRETTY sure that there has never been a real problem in Massachusetts where specials, auxiliaries and intermittents have been out of control rogue cops (sure, there are ex (and a cop, kinda);

When I was an Auxiliary in my home town, we would work LOADS of hours. Our primary task was keeping an eye on the schools. But we'd work church crossings on Sunday and special events such as the 4th of July celebration, primarily doing traffic before and after. We were added eyes and ears for the PD, only really stepping in when asked and rarely did any of our people overstep. When they did, OUR administration were the toughest about it (after the Regulars reamed their asses). We provided a valuable service (our guys caught the kids who had been doing a number on one of the Jr. HSs) and saved the tax payers LOADS of money.

Now, MANY Years later, I'm happy to see so many of the local PD Officers making a nice bit of extra money, both from a cop AND union member standpoint, but I can't help but think, how many folks wanting to break into the field will be denied an opportunity for some REAL experience and how much extra money will be paid by the tax payers for jobs that were once done by volunteers. It's a conundrum. But, seeing the writing on the wall, I bid farewell to a load of very dedicated VOLUNTEERS, thank them for their heart felt service and wonder, are we really doing the right thing to the extent it is?

Emergency Management WILL be more in line with the original purpose of the Auxiliary Police under Civil Defense, unquestionably, but still....

DAMMIT! I hadn't watched the video before typing all that. It's long enough but I feel I HAVE TO ADD: I feel that EVERY SINGLE TAX PAYER living in a city or town that is losing their Auxiliary Police to reform, MUST watch this video to see what is happening because of people with NO knowledge of any kind of Police Work has deemed appropriate and send their tax bill to the homes of these people saying, "OK, YOU Pay the extra, FUCKTARD!"
The final nail in the coffin for auxiliaries was the poison pill the legislature so thoughtfully put in the “reform” bill concerning the “bridge academy”. You have to have the reserve/intermittent academy AND at least 2,400 hours of patrol experience in order to be considered, and unpaid volunteer hours don’t count.

I’m sure quite a few auxiliaries would have done the bridge academy if they could have, but that little time bomb in the law makes it pretty clear that the end game was to get rid of volunteer police altogether.

·
Subscribing Member
4,408 Posts
The final nail in the coffin for auxiliaries was the poison pill the legislature so thoughtfully put in the “reform” bill concerning the “bridge academy”. You have to have the reserve/intermittent academy AND at least 2,400 hours of patrol experience in order to be considered, and unpaid volunteer hours don’t count.

I’m sure quite a few auxiliaries would have done the bridge academy if they could have, but that little time bomb in the law makes it pretty clear that the end game was to get rid of volunteer police altogether.
Auxiliaries in some towns do patrol work. We did in Abington and so did the surrounding towns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Auxiliaries in some towns do patrol work. We did in Abington and so did the surrounding towns
Yes, a lot of auxiliary departments did patrol, but POST has deemed unpaid auxiliary hours (as well as paid detail hours) to not count towards the 2,400 hour minimum.

As I said, the end game was to get rid of volunteer policing, and they succeeded.

Yay, Massachusetts. 🙄

·
Registered
590 Posts
To follow up on my post (not POST 😁), just off the top of my head, auxiliary departments that did actual patrol, besides Abington which j809 already mentioned, include Rockland, Braintree, Quincy, Somerville, Newton, Framingham, Haverhill, Southbridge, Randolph, and Natick.

I’m sure there were more, all those free volunteer hours have just been thrown away, for no good reason. 😠

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
19,049 Posts
I did it for 2 years in Braintree and have NEVER regretted the experience. It not only gave me a taste of what the job was like, but I simply truly had fun. Then I was made a Special and got to work PAID DETAILS. RIP Auxiliary Police, though I can look back in time and remember some Regulars who would have sunk the whole program any second they could have. Whatever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts